When to Write Thank You Cards

Online Users: 1,269 guest(s), 3 user(s). Replies: 8

MaryMcGwen Posts : 19 Registered: 4/27/10
When to Write Thank You Cards
Posted: Apr 30, 2012 7:59 PM

I am curious to the proper etiquette on thank you card timing. I know that thank you cards should be written and mailed within the first couple of months post wedding. However, my question is regarding those that send wedding gifts or cards containing money approximately one month pre-wedding. Is it proper to wait until after the wedding (when the rest of the thank you cards are written) to mail this formal thank you? Or should a card be mailed upon receiving the early gift? Not sure if you technically aren't "supposed" to open the gifts until the wedding has occurred and receiving an early thank you card would be odd.

Thanks so much in advance!

Lulu79 Posts : 19 Registered: 3/8/12
Re: When to Write Thank You Cards
Posted: May 1, 2012 8:28 PM Go to message in response to: MaryMcGwen

I had the same question! I have received a few gifts early. We decided to send ours after the wedding because our thank you cards involve a wedding photo of us actually holding up a sign that says, "thank you.' I'm not sure what the etiquette is in this situation, but I figure once they receive the card they will know why we had to wait until after the wedding (if they were expecting it early).
If you want to do this the same way, you can throw in a photograph in the card as well.

nycnichole Posts : 27 Registered: 4/12/12
Posted: May 2, 2012 11:27 AM Go to message in response to: Lulu79

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Posted: May 3, 2012 11:15 AM Go to message in response to: MaryMcGwen

Thank you notes are generally sent after the wedding. To make it easy for you, you can write the notes now and then mail them immediately after the wedding. That way the recipient knows you received their gift and you have fewer notes to deal with after the wedding. If a substantial gift is involved and you feel the need to let the giver know you received it, you can send a quick email saying that their card arrived, then follow up with the actual thank you note.

groom2012 Posts : 5 Registered: 5/15/12
Posted: May 16, 2012 3:37 AM Go to message in response to: Syringa

Etiquette or not - I think, it depends on the individual situation at which point it is most appropriate to send the cards and thank you messages. For example, many couples go on honeymoon right after the wedding, which means they can only send the cards once they've returned. A friend of mine received a real Franck Muller as thank you message. Others might prefer to send cards a week after the wedding and before their honeymoon. In our modern times, we are flexible.

yehiya Posts : 1 Registered: 5/15/12
Posted: May 20, 2012 8:01 AM Go to message in response to: groom2012

Try to start writing wedding thank you notes as soon as gifts start arriving. This may mean before the wedding, so be prepared. It would take its toll on you if you go writing all the thank you cards in one go! Make a copy of it at invitation time and put it away. Before you start opening gift boxes, find the list and record each gift next to the giver's name and address. It may seem daunting, but doing it early can help a lot!

Marks and spencer card

Edited by: yehiya on May 20, 2012 8:07 AM

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: May 27, 2012 9:24 PM Go to message in response to: MaryMcGwen

Definitely send thank-you notes as soon as you receive gifts, even if it is before the wedding. Etiquette says that that you do not use the gifts before the wedding, just in case the engagement gets broken off and you have to return them. (In the case of checks or cash, you can deposit the money before the wedding; just don't spend it until after.) But sending thank-you notes right away a) lets the giver know the gift was received in a timely manner and b) spares you the strain of catching up on all the back thank-you notes after the wedding.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

PlannerJessie Posts : 14 Registered: 11/10/11
Posted: Jun 6, 2012 8:49 AM Go to message in response to: MaryMcGwen

Yeah 2ndbride is right, I was going to suggest waiting until your back from honeymoon, but you need to have options for it all. Preparing them onhand is good, and sending them as you get your gifts is also a good idea for the just incase fact of not getting married.

Jessica Ares Certified Wedding & Event Planner Elite Wedding & Event Planning www.eliteweddingandeventplanner.com

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 24, 2012 11:51 PM Go to message in response to: MaryMcGwen

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 1916 is just $379.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine