Assigned seats v. open seating

Online Users: 1,348 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 4

jjjune Posts : 60 Registered: 1/6/12
Assigned seats v. open seating
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 7:51 PM

There will be about 100 people at my wedding. It will not be a super formal affair.

I would like to let people sit where they want to for dinner. I don't like being told who I have to sit next to at events, and quite honestly I don't want the headache of making these decisions.

I believe there will only be one or two people who doesn't at least casually know other guests. Many of the guests are in my parents' social circle or are part of a larger group of my and my FI's circle of friends.

Is it ok to just let people sit with who they want to? Are there downsides to open seating I may not have thought of? I'm confident that if I mention to a few friends that one or two people might be alone they'll make a point of being inclusive.

Edited by: jjjune on Apr 9, 2012 7:53 PM

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Re: Assigned seats v. open seating
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 12:36 AM Go to message in response to: jjjune

If you are having a buffet or serving only one entree, then open seating is fine. However, you will want to reserve tables for the wedding party and for parents. Everyone else can choose a seat.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 11:28 AM Go to message in response to: jjjune

Dear June,

The problem with open seating is that the last people to enter the room find only a few single seats scattered around at different tables. Those last few people are likely to be those with mobility issues: elderly or handicapped people who need to sit with family or other helpers.

Imagine being in a family of five, entering the room, and finding the remaining empty five seats all at different tables.

Assigned seating avoids these issues. You don't assign individual seats, but rather assign people to tables. This ensures that your couples, families and other groups get to sit together.

nycnichole Posts : 27 Registered: 4/12/12
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Exactly what Aunt said.

cocoandrico Posts : 5 Registered: 12/21/11
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: jjjune

I agree. Not assigning seats can create awkwardness and complications you might not anticipate. Here's a link you might find helpful - some general seating advice to make the task easier: http://www.bluecollarbride.com/why-seating-charts-are-your-friend/

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine