Do long distance college relationships normally work out?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

kitson Posts : 11 Registered: 2/16/12
Do long distance college relationships normally work out?
Posted: Feb 16, 2012 4:31 AM

My girlfriend and I will be attending different colleges about a few hours away from each other. We have dated for about a year and three months throughout our senior year of high school. I understand when people say if it was meant to be, the relationship will continue. Realistically, do these types of long distance relationships usually pan out? Advice or comments please.

neelamlhw Posts : 2 Registered: 2/7/12
Re: Do long distance college relationships normally work out?
Posted: Feb 16, 2012 9:43 AM Go to message in response to: kitson

Hi, The chances of a long distance relationship working is 3/100, which technically is very very low. If the love and trust is very strong then maybe you have a good chance of making the relationship work.

Once you are in college, you both will meet a lot of people, and then if you can resist the temptation of dating, then maybe you can work out your relationship, otherwise it is going to be difficult.

Know more about Weddings and Learn more about Proposals, Gifts, Party Ideas, Wedding Favors, Cake Toppers and much more, visit the blog below: http://www.blog.allforyourwedding.com/

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Feb 16, 2012 11:29 AM Go to message in response to: kitson

Dear Kit,

Ignore the Evil Vendor above.

The fact is that some long-distance romances work out, others do not. My crystal ball is in the shop, so there is no way for me to predict what will happen in your particular romance.

My best advice is to just enter into the situation and see what happens.

I was in a long-distance romance for two years. I fully expected it to die a natural death. Instead, we became even closer and did get married. We are still married today, 35 years later.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"... sometimes.

jjjune Posts : 60 Registered: 1/6/12
Posted: Feb 16, 2012 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: kitson

College is a phenomenal time of growth, self-discovery, and change. I wouldn't bet on a long distance college relationship lasting. That doesn't mean it won't last. There has to be a ton of communication, visits, and honesty with yourself and each other.

Good luck.

kitson Posts : 11 Registered: 2/16/12
Posted: Feb 17, 2012 1:44 AM Go to message in response to: neelamlhw

Thanks for your replies.I will think about it carefully.

TashaAL Posts : 6 Registered: 2/6/12
Posted: Mar 7, 2012 12:33 PM Go to message in response to: kitson

It is certainly possible.

My fiance and I dated for over 2 years apart. However, we were a little older than you when we met (21 and 25).And then we waited for a couple of years living together after that before we became engaged.

Communication is the biggest part. That and trust and honesty. If either one of you is a jealous person, either learn to get over it pronto or it is going to be a REALLY bumpy road.

Just remember too, college is a time of tremendous personal growth. Make sure the relationship can still foster that growth together. The last thing you want is to end up resenting each other.

Maybe even if the two of you just sit down and talk about your goals and the type of changes you both want to accomplish in each of yourselves personally. Perhaps, testing out the waters for a break for awhile to see how that feels. If it's meant to be you'll find your way back to each other always in the end. If not, then treasure it for what it was and what you learned from the bond you two had and then take that to your next relationship.

Good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine