Anniversary Celebration and Vow Affirmation

Online Users: 1,277 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

DaisyDot Posts : 7 Registered: 1/21/12
Anniversary Celebration and Vow Affirmation
Posted: Jan 21, 2012 8:11 PM

I know vow renewal is a touchy subject on the forums here, but I have to ask opinions. My husband and I plan to have an anniversary party, with a vow renewal before the party starts. My problem is now with my best friend (my would-be maid of honor)and my mother. They both think, since we eloped (no guests, we had a simple ceremony with justice of peace), we should have a real wedding this time. That means ceremony, rings, vows, the whole sha-bang! I prefer to have a small vow reading, and a big party after, and NOT wear a white dress (after all, I am already married). This is the dress I have chosen to wear, and it is causing huge issues with both my bff and my mother: Link: http://www.frenchnovelty.com/p/NM6520W/Night+Moves+Plus+Sized+Crystal+Halter+Prom+Dress+6520W.html

We are having the party in Las Vegas. Any advice on how I should handle this? I really want my friend at the party, but I am now unsure if I want her advice. This is not a 2nd wedding, which she does not seem to understand, simply a celebration.

Edited by: DaisyDot on Jan 21, 2012 9:38 PM

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Anniversary Celebration and Vow Affirmation
Posted: Jan 22, 2012 8:19 AM Go to message in response to: DaisyDot

Dear Daisy,

You are right, they are wrong.

My suggestion to you is just to (politely) stick with your plan. Here is what you say, in decreasing order of courtesy.

Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate your thinking of us.

Thank you, again, for your suggestions, I will discuss them with my husband.

You have already mentioned that a few times, and we are discussing our plans with that in mind.

We have pretty much decided on what we have planned, but thank you for your interest.

I need to tell you that we will not be following your suggestions and ask you kindly to cease and desist.

NO, we will not do as you say.

Thank you, but no. It's our life, our party, we will do as we please.

Buzz off.

DaisyDot Posts : 7 Registered: 1/21/12
Posted: Jan 22, 2012 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I have almost reached the "buzz off" area. Both my friend and my mother do not seem to understand that this is simply a celebration party, not a wedding.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 23, 2012 9:11 AM Go to message in response to: DaisyDot

Dear Daisy,

Yep, sometimes "Buzz off" is necessary. There's an old saying: We don't do backbone implants over the internet.

I have a cousin like that. She thought big families were the ideal. Even after I gave birth to twins and had my hands full with baby care, she was bugging me to get pregnant again. "Buzz off" finally worked.

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Posted: Jan 23, 2012 7:31 PM Go to message in response to: DaisyDot

The dress is gorgeous and your plans are just right for a vow renewal ceremony. Stand your ground and don't allow your mom or your friend to influence you otherwise. Its your party and you and your husband should make the decisions.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 1:07 PM Go to message in response to: DaisyDot

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD.
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine