Walk down the aisle...

Online Users: 1,361 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

laurenmdrn Posts : 1 Registered: 1/31/11
Walk down the aisle...
Posted: Jan 20, 2012 3:59 PM

So, like many brides today, I don't have the Norman Rockwell 2 parent family. Although my father is out of the picture, I have been blessed with the most amazing mom and friends/church community I could ever ask for. One couple has been like a second set of parents to me, supporting me through school and beyond. In my planning (almost at the 6 month mark! AHHH!), I have yet to tackle the "who will walk me down the aisle?" issue.

My mom has made it clear that she would not feel comfortable walking me down, but would like to be the one to "give me away". I was thinking of asking the man who has been like a second (or I guess only) father to me, especially since that couple doesn't have any children and this would be his big chance to walk someone down the aisle. However, I also like the statement of walking down by myself.

Luckily, the ceremony site has a pretty long aisle. Would it be weird to have my friend walk me down half-way then I would walk alone until I got to my mom who would stand and physically give my hand to my fiance? How would my friend get to his seat? Would he wait until I walked all the way then sneak down after? As you can tell, I am a bit neurotic and like to have everything planned to a T!

I really appreciate the help girls :)

jjjune Posts : 60 Registered: 1/6/12
Re: Walk down the aisle...
Posted: Jan 20, 2012 5:10 PM Go to message in response to: laurenmdrn

My first reaction was that I really like this idea. Have whoever you want walk you down, or partly down, the aisle.

But then when I thought about the logistics, I imagined the man just kind of awkwardly standing there when he was done walking you part way... I can't imagine a way it would look not-awkward. Maybe someone can come up with a good solution.

JasmineO2 Posts : 17 Registered: 1/6/12
Posted: Jan 20, 2012 9:44 PM Go to message in response to: laurenmdrn

It's a really good idea. What if you reserved seats for the man and his wife on the aisle-side of a row about halfway down? Would they be offended by being asked to be seated that far back when it was for a logistical reason? Either that or he could walk back out after your mother gave you away and go up one of the side aisles to a front-row seat. I bet no one would even notice.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 21, 2012 7:51 AM Go to message in response to: laurenmdrn

Dear Lauren,

You have a wonderful idea, and I like it.

Here is an idea.

Mom is sitting in the MOB seat at the front. Nice Woman is seated to her left, with an empty seat between them. You and Nice Man appear at the back of the church. Mom stands up (thus triggering everyone else to stand up) when you and Nice Man appear at the back ready for your entrance.

You and Nice Man walk partway up the aisle. He stops, and with a chaste fatherly-love kiss sends you on alone, standing there watching you (beaming with pride and happiness) as you continue alone. Mom steps out of the pew and takes your hand to put it in the groom's hand.

Meanwhile, Nice Man nips up to the seat next to Mom and Nice Woman. No one will notice; all eyes will be on you and the groom. Mom comes back to her seat, next to Nice Man and Nice Woman.

And then you get married!

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Posted: Jan 21, 2012 3:37 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I like Aunt's idea, though I would probably have Nice Man walk you to the end of the aisle. The man generally stands on the right of the bride, so he could stop; Mom would be on the left, she takes your arm and you proceed a few feet to where the groom and minister are while Nice Man slips into his seat.

Because this family means so much to you, I would definitely seat Nice Man and Nice Wife with your mom in the first pew. It would be an honor for them and your mom won't be sitting there alone.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: laurenmdrn

Pronovias Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-pronovias-c-420_473.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine