Wedding in Italy

Online Users: 1,321 guest(s), 3 user(s). Replies: 10

sanssoucish Posts : 2 Registered: 5/20/11
Wedding in Italy
Posted: May 20, 2011 10:19 AM

My fiance and I would like to get married in Italy...the downside is that we live very far from any Italian embassy so getting to an embassy with two witnesses might be difficult (asking friends or family to take time off work for several days just so we can get a piece of paperwork etc) Does anyone know of another way to meet this requirement? Notarized statements from two people saying that we are free to marry??? If we have to our plan B is to get married in the states and then the trip would still be an amazing honeymoon...but if we can find a way we'd prefer Italy. Any suggestions?

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Wedding in Italy
Posted: May 20, 2011 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: sanssoucish

Dear Sans,

Are you planning on having a civil and religious wedding in Italy, or just the civil wedding?

Next question: You say you live far from "any embassy". The embassy is in Washington, DC. All embassies are in the capitol city.

Embassies have consulates in other parts of the country. I just looked and found that Italy has consular services all over the US. Are you still too far away from any of those consular service offices?

It has been my experience that civil law countries (Italy, eg) require a huge amount of paperwork for anything to happen. If you want your legal wedding to take place in Italy, you have no choice but comply with their paperwork requirements, which could include getting certified translations of all your official documents.

Find out how much certified translation services cost, then check that against your overall budget. If cost is an issue, ask yourself whether you want to spend your hand-earned dollars on certified translation services or on a beautiful honeymoon in Italy.

Finally, you might consider engaging a wedding planner who has experience with guiding couples through the process of a legal wedding in Italy, just so you don't miss some crucial paperwork or time deadline.

sanssoucish Posts : 2 Registered: 5/20/11
Posted: May 20, 2011 12:34 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Just the civil ceremony, and we're not too far away to travel to Washington but we would have to stay overnight and (of course) also pay for our witnesses to stay overnight, that would eat into the budget a bit too.
I've considered a wedding planner, at least to investigate whether this is a realistic idea or whether it would add so much to the cost that we'd be better off having a simple ceremony in the US instead.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: May 20, 2011 2:10 PM Go to message in response to: sanssoucish

Dear Sans,

"Just the civil ceremony,"

I am no expert on weddings in Italy, and I seriously suggest you do some research on the Italian Embassy website and other authoritative sources before committing any money to anyone.

Having said that, I'll paint a worst-case scenario. I know that in Italy, and other civil law countries, a legal wedding must be performed by a civil authority. If the couple also wishes a religious wedding, that religious wedding is performed after the civil ceremony, and according to that religion's rules.

Since you don't want a religious ceremony, then we're talking about a civil ceremony only.

I may be in error, and please check other sources, but I think civil ceremonies can only be held in specific places, such as the town hall. In other words, it may not be possible to get some kind of Italian civil authority to perform the legal ceremony in the location of your choice. You may find yourself limited to the town hall or mayor's office.

I ask myself why would anyone want to go to all the trouble and expense of certified translations and other hassle just to get married in an office building.

It may be worth it to you. I can't make that decision for you. I do urge you to do a lot of research, make sure you know exactly what is required and what is permitted, then decide what is best for you and your budget.

I don't want to discourage you, but would like for you to make your decision with your eyes open. Personally, I think it easier to get married where one lives. When I applied for a marriage license with my then-boyfriend, it took about a half hour and the entire transaction was in English.

lscags Posts : 1 Registered: 9/19/11
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 4:06 PM Go to message in response to: sanssoucish

Hello. I was just curious what kind of venues you were looking at. Both my fiance and I really want to rent out a villa and have a symbolic wedding held there but we have no idea which villa's to look at or where to start. I was wondering if you had better insight with such places. Either way, I would love to hear about your experience. Thank you.

GraceKelly Posts : 15 Registered: 10/7/11
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 8:08 AM Go to message in response to: sanssoucish

How important is it to you to actually get legally married on the day? Could you do the legal stuff at home and just the symbolic ceremony part in Italy? It might be way less of a headache!

MariaPearce Posts : 20 Registered: 10/11/11
Posted: Nov 4, 2011 12:30 PM Go to message in response to: sanssoucish

You could call city clerks office and see if they have anyone available to be a witness.

sabrinavitullo Posts : 1 Registered: 12/1/11
Posted: Dec 1, 2011 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: lscags

I am a Canadian living in Rome Italy and i have assisted many Americans and Canadians with their wedding in Italy. I have the working mentalit of both North American people and the European way of thinking. Please contact me if you would like to have information on getting married in Italy. If you are thinking of a destination wedding, the first thing you truly require is a wedding planner on location. Hope to hear from you. Best regards. Sabrina sabrina.vitullo@gmail.com

weddingplanning... Posts : 1 Registered: 12/2/11
Posted: Dec 2, 2011 8:39 PM Go to message in response to: sanssoucish

great idea to get married in italy, i have never been there.

Wedding Planners Chicago

Wedding Planning Chicago

Edited by: weddingplanningchicago on Dec 2, 2011 7:39 PM

http://www.janeallenevents.com/

weddingsintuscany Posts : 1 Registered: 12/14/11
Posted: Dec 14, 2011 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: sanssoucish

Dear sanssouchis,
I'm an Italian wedding planner, I organize weddings for Us citiziens from 10 years.
You can do everything here in italy, at an italian embassy and at the pretura office , just a few days before the wedding day,
of course you must present some documents
Hope this can help you
Chiara
www.weddingsintuscany.info

romabride Posts : 3 Registered: 3/5/12
Posted: Mar 5, 2012 6:17 AM Go to message in response to: sabrinavitullo

Hi!
If you are looking for a wedding hairdresser or make-up artist I found this girl who helped me out.
Her email is helova@msn.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine