Unique Idea for Save the Date invitations

Online Users: 1,328 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 7

sflbride Posts : 2 Registered: 8/3/11
Unique Idea for Save the Date invitations
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 9:56 AM

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, but I've been visiting the site for a few weeks now, and I've been coming up with lots of ideas for my wedding!

Well right now, I am working on my save the date invites that I will be sending out to about 50 people on my guest list. My fiance and I have been discussing it though, and we both agree that we want to send out something a bit more unique than the standard post card or fridge magnet. After a few silly ideas (singing telegrams?), my fiance came up with an idea to mail out flash drives, custom printed with our names, the date and location of the wedding, as well as including our engagement photos and an invitation video on the usb drive itself. I even found a website that specializes in customizing the drives for weddings! http://www.usbmemorydirect.com/custom-usb-wedding-favors-knot.htm?knotwedding

Now, I really like the idea, but some of my friends who I've mentioned it to have been less enthusiastic. They expressed concern over the older guests (like my grandparents) who might not know what to do with a usb drive. My fiance says that the photo slideshow can play automatically and that all anyone would need to know how to do is plug a flash drive into a computer. Plus the majority of our guests are younger than 60 and are pretty tech savvy.

So, my questions to you ladies:
What do you think of the idea?? Would you use the flash drive or put it on your keychain? Do you think our guests will appreciate the extra work? I'm right on the fence with this idea, I could really use a few fresh perspectives on it.

Thanks! :D

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Unique Idea for Save the Date invitations
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: sflbride

Dear SF,

", but some of my friends who I've mentioned it to have been less enthusiastic. "

I would not be all that enthusiastic about putting a device on my computer that could be carrying any number of viruses, key-loggers, Trojans, etc.

I guess I would just contact the couple and say "Hey, just tell me the date, and I'll mark it on my calendar.".

sflbride Posts : 2 Registered: 8/3/11
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Thanks for the reply Aunt!

On the bright side, the USBs would have all the important info printed right on them, so technically even if they never get plugged in, they can still convey the message.

But would you really be nervous about a USB drive that you got from friends or family? My finance is a computer whiz so viruses and such will not be an issue, but I definitely want my guests to feel safe plugging in our invitations.

Anyone else have any input? Would you be worried about getting a virus?

EmilyEastondotcom Posts : 38 Registered: 7/16/11
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 12:31 PM Go to message in response to: sflbride

My opinion: while I think the flash drive is fun, the Number One job of the Save the Date is to communicate the date. A flash drive would not work with everybody, would not be liked by some, so I myself wouldn't use it. But it's a clever idea. Can't wait to hear details about your wedding. You're very innovative!

anne11235813 Posts : 58 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 3:33 PM Go to message in response to: EmilyEastondotcom

I think it's a great idea and I would enjoy your fotos together with the invitation / save the date very much!

I would also not be afraid of any viruses since I have the appropriate software on my computer.

I would say go for it, especially if you have the information printed on the stick as well. Thus, everyone gets the information even if they don't actually use it.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 7:28 PM Go to message in response to: sflbride

Dear SF,

"But would you really be nervous about a USB drive that you got from friends or family?"

Yes.

I work at home. If my boss found out that I had compromised company data with a USB drive I got from some unknown source, my job would be toast.

I don't know how you prepared the USB drives. Did you make each one, yourself? Did you hire a vendor to mass produce them? There's that "unknown source". Some vendor you found in Craigslist.

Why take a chance? I would just make a note of the date, then responsibly recycle the USB drive without endangering my computer.

LynseySmith Posts : 1 Registered: 8/22/11
Posted: Aug 22, 2011 2:04 PM Go to message in response to: sflbride

I think this would work out really expensive and to be honest I think your guests would look at it once and then put it away in a drawer.
I felt that I needed to have something in their face to always remind them of the wedding and opted for Fridge Magnets. There are plenty about and as my theme is a Bright Pink Gerbera I found the exact ones from a company called The Wedding Stationery Store.
I think their website is www.theweddingstationerystore.co.uk.
Got to be honest they were fast delivery and customer service was brill, as I had to change the wording 3 times LOL - but they did it for me with no quibble.
Hope this helps anyway

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 5:38 PM Go to message in response to: sflbride

San Patrick Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-san-patrick-c-420_454.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine