Birthcontrol options

Online Users: 1,308 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

Enaduial Posts : 11 Registered: 10/4/10
Birthcontrol options
Posted: Jul 26, 2011 12:56 PM

One of the biggest issues slowing down wedding planning for me is birth control. I should explain that I'm a Christian and believe very strongly that life begins at conception. That's where the problem lies. Does anyone know if there is any form of birth control at all (other than abstinence, cuz that's going right out the window as soon as we're married) that doesn't harm a fertilized egg?

A pill would be my first choice, I've also looked into the implanon. An IUD was suggested as something that only prevents sperm from getting to the egg but when I looked into it more I wasn't so convinced. I'm planning on seeing a doctor soon to ask more specifically but I was wondering if anyone else out there had the same moral convictions and any advice.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Birthcontrol options
Posted: Jul 26, 2011 1:18 PM Go to message in response to: Enaduial

Dear En,

This is a question you should direct to your gynecologist. That person will know your own health history and can make a recommendation that is best for you, with consideration of your religious beliefs.

Make a list of questions for your gynecologist, so you won't forget anything when you go in for your appt. You can ask about anything, including birth control, hygiene, "first time" expectations, etc.

anne11235813 Posts : 58 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Jul 26, 2011 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I agree that it would be good to talk to your doctor and get him/her to answer your questions.

Two things I would like to add:
A) should you conceive while taking the pill, the pill does not harm your baby. More specifically, the pill is preventing you of getting pregnant by
1. keeping the sperm away from the egg
2. preventing eggs to grow and mature
3. preventing eggs to implant into the tissue of the uterus.

What it does not do is abort an egg that did implant into the tissue, so it is not aborting a baby.

B) you can always use condoms as they are not invasive and simply keep the sperm away from the egg. However it's not quite as reliable as the pill.

Hope this helps.

smalltownlady Posts : 16 Registered: 8/18/10
Posted: Jul 26, 2011 6:21 PM Go to message in response to: Enaduial

Enaduial,

I have the same concern you had and have the same belief that life begins at conception so the pill and IUD are out for me.

As the other posters have said, barrier methods are availible.

However the option my fiance and I have chosen to go with is Natural Family Planning (NFP), which is NOT the same thing as the Rhythm Method.

It teaches you to read your body's fertility signs to determine when you can become pregnant and when you can't. There are 3 symptoms you can track to determine your fertility- they are your basal body temperature, your cervical mucus and the position of your cervix. If you are fertile, you abstain from sex until the fertile period ends. For most women that is between 7 and 12 days per menstrual cycle. So it does require some abstinence, but not total abstinence.

NFP has roughly the same method efficacy rate as the pill, and a similar user failure rate as the pill.

One of the upsides is that if you decide you want children, you can then use the same tracking to determine the times when you are most likely to get pregnant.

If you want more information, I suggest looking at http://www.ccli.org/ or the information links at the NFP Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_206621309377992&ap=1#!/groups/NaturalFamilyPlanning?view=doc&id=206897769350346

It takes some time and effort to learn to chart, but I think its worth it.

bearma Posts : 23 Registered: 12/9/07
Posted: Jul 26, 2011 8:58 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

We are talking about 2 different events.
1. Fertilization (egg and sperm meet)making embryo
2. Embryo implants in uterus

I guess the meaning of "conception" is up for debate. Medical professionals usually define it as implantation because you will only have a positive pregnancy test after an embryo implants. You can only say you "conceived" a pregnancy if you have a positive pregnancy test. If the embryo never implants, you just go on to have your normal period.

I think what the OP means is that she believes life starts at fertilization. What might make it easier for you to communicate with your gynecologist is if you said this to her. Otherwise, what you are saying is confusing.

Also, be careful about reading stuff on the internet about contraception. There is a lot of misinformation out there.

Posted: Jul 27, 2011 7:39 AM Go to message in response to: Enaduial

It looks like I should clarify. I do believe that conception is fertilization, not implantation. I was hoping for a method that won't stop implantation if fertilization does occur.
When I first started looking into this I thought Natural Family Planning was the way to go, no hormones or potential risks sounded amazing to me. My thought though is i kind of hope that periodic abstinence will be really difficult for us =) If we truly can't find anything else and can't stay away from each other we could use some kind of barrier method, so I'm certainly not ruling NFP out.

I'm finding that there's a lot of debate about wether the pill and IUD's are abortification. Someone told my FH that IUDs were the only available option that would prevent fertilization. The more I learn about them the more uncomfortable I am with the idea, and I was pretty uncomfortable with it to begin with. I read an article that had me fairly convinced that the pill isn't really abortification, but unless I'm completely convinced I can't in good conscience use it.

Also, I'm fairly young so I've never been to a gynecologist. Should I ask my mom who she sees or try to find one who shares my beliefs?

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jul 27, 2011 8:03 AM Go to message in response to: Enaduial

Dear En,

"Also, I'm fairly young so I've never been to a gynecologist. Should I ask my mom who she sees or try to find one who shares my beliefs?"

The gynecologist should listen to your concerns and make appropriate-to-you recommendations. He or she need not share your religious beliefs. You are asking a medical question: "What kind of birth control will prevent conception?"

Unless you feel uncomfortable with your mom's gynecologist, then why not start there? I know it's difficult to think of that first appointment, but this is something grown up women do. If you are old enough to get married, you are old enough to go in for a gyne appt.

ElisabethJoanne Posts : 2 Registered: 7/25/11
Posted: Jul 27, 2011 1:38 PM Go to message in response to: Enaduial

My mother is a pro-life OB/GYN who also believes life begins at fertilization. The primary professional body for OB/GYNs, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, says pregnancy begins at implantation, however. So you have to be very careful about even the medical information you receive and read.

That said, Mom insists that today's birth control pills prevent ovulation. That is, they prevent the body's releasing an egg to be fertilized. Mom also points out all the healthy babies born after the Pill fails.

There's a book "Birth Control for Christians" you can look at.

anne11235813 Posts : 58 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Jul 27, 2011 3:22 PM Go to message in response to: ElisabethJoanne

Here is a link to the wikipedia article on the second type of pill I was talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minipill

I myself am taking the cerazette which is mentioned in the article. I prefer it over the regular dual-hormone pill because I get fewer headaches with it. As an added bonus I did not have a period for almost two years now :o)

It prevents ovulation and thickens the mucus thus preventing the sperm from entering the uterus. It does not prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg.

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 8:59 PM Go to message in response to: Enaduial

Everyone except Bally was helpful

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Jul 30, 2011 7:17 PM Go to message in response to: Enaduial

You should really just go to the doctor about this, they would be able to help you out best. One thing for sure would be using a condom, and you could even do that as a back up with the NFP (if you aren't comfortable with any other options).

I also wanted to add that if your old enough to plan a wedding, you should have already been to a gynecologist at least once. I would make that first on my priority list.

Chrissicrunk Posts : 1 Registered: 7/31/11
Posted: Aug 8, 2011 8:13 PM Go to message in response to: Enaduial

Do you know of any birth control I could use when I'm married that doesn't hurt any baby that could be conceived?

Wedding-Countdowns

ElisabethJoanne Posts : 2 Registered: 7/25/11
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 12:26 AM Go to message in response to: Chrissicrunk

Chrissi, see what I say above about implantation, but many healthy babies have been born when typical hormonal birth control pills have failed. Mom uses this as evidence birth control pills don't harm babies/pregnancies, just prevent them (98% of the time if taken exactly correctly)

Posted: Aug 25, 2011 10:59 PM Go to message in response to: Chrissicrunk

Chrissi, I found this article very helpful
http://www.prolifephysicians.org/abortifacient.htm

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 6:55 PM Go to message in response to: Enaduial

Rosa Clara Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-rosa-clara-c-420_451.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine