How to ask for some home repairs

Online Users: 1,313 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

bambam8203 Posts : 1 Registered: 7/21/11
How to ask for some home repairs
Posted: Jul 21, 2011 1:45 AM

We have decided to have our reception small about 60-80 people held in my future mother-in-laws home, she is totally ok with it, I love her and her home, but she lives alone and her home need a few repairs here and there, dents in walls, touch ups, window replace, mild yard work, and her spare bathroom needs a uplift, we would like to do a new paint job in there and that will about do it. Her relationship with her son, my soon to be husband is very relaxed and easy going, we also have the same bond, we have been together for eight years, engaged for three. My question is, how do I bring up the topic of the repairs, in no way would I want her to pay for them, we are 100% willing to pay, but how do I ask without sounding rude.

Edited by: bambam8203 on Jul 21, 2011 2:01 AM

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Re: How to ask for some home repairs
Posted: Jul 21, 2011 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: bambam8203

Hello,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Since you are willing to pay for the repairs yourselves, one way to provide the repairs without being rude would be to give them as a birthday, mother's day, anniversary or holiday gift. Print up a nice certificate outlining what you're going to do and then make a nice presentation.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jul 21, 2011 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: bambam8203

Dear BB,

"Mom, after those nine long miserable months of pregnancy you endured to bring me in to the world, followed by those years of diaper changing, soccer game driving, teenaged years angst and late nights hoping I wasn't in a dead in a ditch somewhere, I'd like to make it up to you.

How about it if I fix the kitchen sink, then start to work on repainting the back room?"

EmilyEastondotcom Posts : 38 Registered: 7/16/11
Posted: Jul 28, 2011 10:22 AM Go to message in response to: bambam8203

Maybe just bring up the subject casually to see if perhaps she's thinking about fix-ups herself. Could be she already is. Maybe say enthusiastically ... "It's so wonderful of you to host, etc.! Have you been thinking about what it will take to get the house ready? What can we do to help? Anything need to be done in advance?"

Edited by: EmilyEastondotcom on Jul 28, 2011 10:22 AM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine