Registry Etiquette

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

mraymond_08 Posts : 1 Registered: 6/20/11
Registry Etiquette
Posted: Jul 14, 2011 8:37 PM

My fiance and I currently do not live together and aren't planning to until closer to the wedding (1yr and 1/2)because of the expense. So of course we don't have much in the way of furniture and appliances. We plan on moving to Hawaii after the wedding and don't want the extra expense to move more stuff overseas. What would be a non-tacky way to ask for cash and gift cards only at the reception?

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Registry Etiquette
Posted: Jul 14, 2011 8:46 PM Go to message in response to: mraymond_08

dear Mray,

"What would be a non-tacky way to ask for cash and gift cards only at the reception?"

If someone asks what kind of gifts you prefer, you may respond that you prefer cash and gift cards.

If they don't ask, don't tell. It it tacky, as you said, to tell wedding guests to skip the gifts and just give cash, without having been asked.

I don't like it when someone acts like I'm a human ATM dispensing cash when they press a button.

WoodlandBride Posts : 52 Registered: 1/6/11
Posted: Jul 15, 2011 7:47 AM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I agree with Aunt. What I would suggest is that, if you create a wedding website, Create a page called "Our Future Plans". On it detail the job opportunity (or whatever reason for moving) and the plans to move. Also mention the timeline in relation to the wedding (i.e...Within a year after our vows we are planning to take another big step and relocate to Hawaii. FH has been offered a position with...)
Do not make any comments on how difficult the process of moving is, most folks already know that. They will be aware and likely think that they would not want to make any more work for you and act accordingly.
Good luck with you planning and the move.

jseguine Posts : 6 Registered: 7/18/11
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 12:49 PM Go to message in response to: mraymond_08

Another option besides asking for cash would be to register on http://www.depositagift.com/ where you can pick what you plan to spend your money on, and people can contribute to that particular item. One of my friends did this for her registry and it included things like a downpayment on a new house, hardwood floors, a dishwasher, dinner for 2, money for college, etc.

People tend to be more comfortable giving money when they know what it would be used for, so I think this is a good alternative.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 2:43 PM Go to message in response to: jseguine

Dear JS

Cash registries are in poor taste, no matter how thinly disguised.

jseguine Posts : 6 Registered: 7/18/11
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

They're not the best, I agree, but the point of a registry is to give them what they need, and if what they need are things for their life across the ocean, then it may be the best option.

EmilyEastondotcom Posts : 38 Registered: 7/16/11
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: mraymond_08

You and your groom should let your mothers, sisters and close friends know your preferences and word will spread! There's no need to specifically put it on invitations or web site.

trumble Posts : 1 Registered: 10/12/11
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: mraymond_08

Use this website called GiftsYouChoose.com
You register for free, then your guests go online and put money into an account for you. You can choose gifts cards to anywhere!! I also asked the owner of the site if they could just send us the cash and she did!! It was a great way of getting cash without asking for it!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine