Rentals!!

Online Users: 1,252 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

Pinkbride Posts : 9 Registered: 12/28/10
Rentals!!
Posted: Jul 1, 2011 9:06 PM

Hi everyone!

I am currently living in a Victorian estate (nothing to fancy, but it is special to us & we are just renting)

We decided to have our wedding at home because we are lucky enough to have an acre of land that surrounds our house & this way the money we DO spend on location can go into our garden that we will treasure while we are living here.

My problem is that the area that we plan on serving dinner for 120 guest wont have a lot of shade at 6:30ish, in July,
2012; HOT!

So my dilemma: I hate event tents, I don't like how they look, I don't like how people tend to stay under them the whole night, and I think the rental & delivery costs that come with them are absurd- You could buy a tent for 1/3 more than most rental companies charge. What I love is: the stars, night air, fairy lights in trees and the sunset. I really, really, REALLY do not want a dining tent at my wedding. But I don't want people sitting in the sun, so does anyone know an option other than serving dinner later that might work and not cost $1,000 plus $?

My mother-in-law to be (who I should note, I totally love & I am so lucky to have her in my life) thinks that I really need one too and she is paying for 5K of our wedding- but for the tent, delivery and set up we are looking at a 1500.00 bill, it's just not worth it. We could go on a honey moon with that money. How do I tell her no tent?

I could really use some words of wisdom, be are having a moderately low key wedding with a total budget of no more than 9K, and hopefully much less since we would like to go on a honeymoon.... Any thoughts??

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Rentals!!
Posted: Jul 2, 2011 2:02 PM Go to message in response to: Pinkbride

dear Jessica,

You cannot expect your guests to sit out in the hot sun for any length of time. You could have your wedding just before sunset, and then party into the evening.

I like Mik's idea of a canopy tent. We have a couple, left over from our sons' Scouting days. I think they cost about $75 ten years ago, maybe $100 today. A canopy tent has just a roof and poles to hold it up; no sides.

You could get a few canopy tents, use them at the wedding, then keep them for future use. We used our all the time when our kids were younger.

Pinkbride Posts : 9 Registered: 12/28/10
Posted: Jul 3, 2011 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Yes, I agree with the sun thing. It's unthinkable to have people in the sun for any amount of time during the month of July, even for thirty minutes. I think I may go the canopy route and have cocktails and apps served right after the ceremony on the shady side of the house so that I can push dinner back just long enough for the sun to get off of the area where we plan on serving dinner.

Thank you for your suggestions :)

marty08 Posts : 1,110 Registered: 7/1/07
Posted: Jul 4, 2011 1:51 PM Go to message in response to: Pinkbride

I don't know what they are called, I'll try to find a pic. The canopies that are triangle shaped and mesh-like...are awesome..and work! I've seen them in various colors too.

Aunts right, stay out of the sun! Our wedding was outside in March..in the desert. People got sun burnt(late afternoon)..and my centerpieces which had tapered candles, well, the melted and fell over..kinda hard to light candles that are touching the tables!

What about having a mister area somewhere....even if it's under a tent...it would cool things off!

Life's not all beer and skittles, mate!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine