The prego, new mommies, trying, or just curious thread!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,599

JaniceO Posts : 980 Registered: 12/5/06
Re: The prego, new mommies, trying, or just curious thread!!
Posted: May 11, 2011 11:21 AM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

Pharm, I found the 5 S's from the Happiest Baby on the Block helped with Faith's crying fits. I also read a couple sleep books, but I will need to dig them out to remember the titles. Not sure what you have tried or read. My neighbor had a lot of luck calming her newborn son by bouncing on the birthing/exercise ball. Though he had digestive issues so that contributed to his crying. His crying didn't fully resolve until they switched him to a special formula.

Food allergies can cause some discomfort and crying but elimination diets are the only real way to tell. I did find if I ate any food that was considered even slightly gassy in the beginning Faith would be fussier.

For let down, I tried everything and would never get same let down with a pump that I had when Faith nursed. When Faith would nurse is was almost like a boob contraction and the milk would just pour out. I never had that with the pump. I would have to do breast compressions while pumping to get empty. I do have a hypnobabies breastfeeding mp3 that is supposed to help with let down, but I haven't tried it yet for obvious reasons. :)

MrsPaul, check out "The Baby Book" by Dr Sears. That was pretty good reference material for me. I also searched the web alot when I had specific questions or issues. The Vaccine Book by Dr Sears is also good if you want more specific info. Faith has some problems after her 4 month vaccines so we haven't continued vaccines yet, but we plan to get her mostly caught up at some point. I also really enjoyed "Real Food for Mother's and Baby" by Nina Planck. It's definitely not something everyone will agree with, but it does offer a great perspective on nutrition. If you plan to breastfeed, The Nursing Mother's Companion was a pretty good resource, but you can get alot of the info from the web or a good lactation consultant. I just like to read, you should see all the childbirth books I have blown through.

Lastly, I really liked the book "What Mothers Do Especially When It Looks Like Nothing". Its not a book about baby care, but mostly about the emotional side of being a mother. Lovely read!

But don't try to prepare for every situation. Its impossible to be completely prepared. Its normal to feel overwhelmed with the new baby and to freak out over odd stuff. Just relax and enjoy the newness!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Posted: May 11, 2011 11:30 AM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

Pharm, try keeping a food journal for yourself and see if that gives you any indications. Like if she's fussier after you eat broccoli type of thing. I will see if I can find the list of gassy foods that I avoided that seemed to help.

If its always the same time, it could just be colic. Not much helps with colic from what I have read. Faith's fussy time always started in the evenings and we eventually found different positions helped. Also, when she's fussing, try to watch her movements. Is she pulling her legs up? Arching her back?

Sometimes little things like that can help you figure out what might be the issue if there even is one. Sometimes babies just fuss, the first month is a big adjustment. Light/sounds, all that come into play. It's just so hard to keep from pulling your hair out sometimes when all you want to do is sooth them and nothing works.

Oh, and Faith always loved slings and wraps, you could try babywearing... On TheBabyWearer forums there is a section about making your own carriers. Since you can sew, you might be able to try wrapping fairly inexpensively by just buying the right fabric.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: May 11, 2011 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: JaniceO

I have a wrap and can't figure the thing out to save my life.

It's only been the past 2 nights, so I'm not even sure it's a 'pattern' - you know?

The pediatrician seems to think it's just her getting situated - she's just over 2 weeks old. I'm just hoping it evens out some before we have to go back to work. Otherwise I'm royally screwed.

I don't feel let down when I nurse, so I have NO idea on the whole pumping thing. I mean, if I don't let down I get NOTHING. So.... You can leave the damn pump hooked up for as long as I want without getting anything. I got about 3 oz yesterday. But with our current schedule, I don't have a schedule. So I doubt that's helping.

And I don't know what I did, but now my left nipple is killing me. so annoying I ordered the bigger flanges for the breast pump - which I also have to do one breast at a time. They are too big to do them at one time. Again, so annoying.

So I don't know if pumping is going to work at all.

Posted: May 11, 2011 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

She was arching her back some, but she does that on a regular basis without crying, so I don't know that it's indicative of anything....

MrsSy Posts : 504 Registered: 7/6/08
Posted: May 11, 2011 4:25 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Pharm, How you try to pump after nursing MK? One of my co-workers suggested that to me. Maybe it will help?

Hope tonight will be better.

Janice, is so cute Faith kiss your belly. I'm going to check the book What Mothers Do Especially When It Looks Like Nothing. Thanks.

Proud Member of the P.O.O.P.

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: May 11, 2011 7:50 PM Go to message in response to: MrsSy

Hi ladies! Haven't been on in a while, and I see you guys know why!

I never thought it would be so hectic with a toddler and a newborn. I really can't explain it. So here's my story.

I woke up the morning of April 23rd, feeling exhausted. I got up to use the bathroom and I literally felt my hips shifting! I laid back down and went back to sleep and I woke up about 1 in the afternoon hungry. I went and got something to eat and I noticed I was having a contraction. Well, while in the drive thru at Burger King, I noticed another. I made it back home and noticed they were coming about 6-7 minutes apart. I ate my food, packed Jordin's clothes and took a shower! Yes all the while my contractions were coming 6-7 minutes apart! LOL Talking about staying calm. We made it to the hospital after we dropped Jordin off at about 4 that afternoon. When they checked me, I was 3 centimeters dilated. My doctor, who happened to be the doctor on call, decided to go ahead and admit me. Once I was admitted and in a birthing room at about 5pm, my contractions stopped. They came in, broke my water, and started my Pitocin at 6pm. WORST HOUR OF MY LIFE! The pain was horrific. They gave me an epidural at 7pm. I was ready to push at about ten after 8, and I had him at 8:26pm.

Even though, it was fast, the pain was ten times worst with him than with Jordin. But now I have two beautiful kids and we are adjusting.

Congrats to all everyone who's close! As well as those TTC! Blowing the remainder of my baby dust your way as I am done!

I found it hilarious that Pharm and I had our babies on the same day!! YAY I knew it was girl!

Posted: May 12, 2011 12:14 AM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

I know Diva - MK and your Lil One have the same B-day!

OK, I kept saying I'd try to tell you all my birth story - here we go.

Contractions started on Tuesday. Yes, Tuesday. I went to work with contractions at 5 minutes apart. They weren't hurting yet, so I figured it was prodromal labor/ beginning labor, etc....

Slept like NOTHING Mon-Tuesday night. Slept some Tues-Wed night. Wed woke up and went to work with contractions that were stronger but still not too bad (some got me) and about 5-6 minutes apart.

They never got closer over those two days.

Wed-Thurs night I woke up about 3 AM and didn't get back to sleep. Contractions were a lot more powerful. I told DH not to go into work - I had an appointment with my MW that morning and knew I couldn't drive in. So we drove in and I was about 2-3 cm dilated.

I went home and just had contractions all day and night - next to no sleep. At about 11 PM on Thursday, I got sick several times and they took me off solid food.

When I got up in the morning, not that I slept, I got sick again and called the MW. They had me come in, they were worried about dehydration and how tired I was. So they gave me fluids, checked my dilation (NO change), and gave me meds for sleeping and anti-nausea and put me on a rice, applesauce, toast diet.

That night I was up most of the night - got sick and lost the sleeping meds. In the morning, I was in the tub and got out and it looked like my water broke. When I called they weren't sure and told me to stay home.

About three hours later, my water really broke (down my leg in the living room). I got to the bathroom and it was apparent that there was meconium in my amniotic fluid.

So I called the MW and she told me to come in. I knew I needed to get antibiotics for the G Strep B.

So I went in (~1030 AM) and I told the mid wife that since I had been in labor basically since Tuesday and was so exhausted I was pretty much going to need an epidural. When she checked me though I was only 4 cm dilated and an epidural can stall labor at that point, so I got in the big whirlpool tub they have there for 2 hours. When I got out of there I was dilated to 7 cm - thank goodness.

The anesthesiogist came in and I got the epidural. That allowed me to actually sleep some which I desperately needed (even my mid wife at this point was so worried about how tired I was, she thought the epidural was a good idea).

We had issues with the fetal monitor on my belly, so they put a fetal electronic scalp monitor in me on the baby.

So DH was in with me and so was a good gf of mine. DH asked if he could step out to talk to our best friend and his parents - I said Sure, everything was fine. Famous last words.

Next thing I know, they lost the baby's heartbeat - they turn me from side to side, can't get it. Then I'm being rushed down the hall with EVERY available person to the OR for an emergency crash c-section. My gf was running down the hallway hollering for my husband.

They get me to the OR, over to the OR table, they pushed another epi for the c-section and then they were able to get the baby's heartbeat and all back.

SO - I made sure that they went out and told DH (who then gowned up and came in) and then the Doctor came in and said that I was dilated to 9 cm and he didn't see why I couldn't have this baby vaginally.

This was at 5 PM. Unfortunately my labor stalled some and then the baby's heartbeat was dipping with each contraction indicating that the cord was wrapped around an arm or something in the birth canal. So then they put more fluid into the uterus to try and cushion the cord and maybe get it unwrapped - which worked.

But they had to give me pictocin to jumpstart my labor. Fortunately I was already so dilated that it worked well. And I don't know how long I pushed but it was for a bit - they ended up needing to use the forceps on her.

They had a pediatric team waiting for her because of the meconium (this is a bowel movement the baby had in utero that can be bad if they breath it in and can affect their breathing). She opened her eyes when she was born but didn't cry until they took her and started working on her.

We did get to hold her, but they were concerned about her breathing & grunting, so she went to the NICU overnight. That would have been more upsetting but I knew that was probably going to happen as soon as I saw the meconium in the fluid, so I was prepared.

I did have some tearing, from the birth and from the forceps - once they got me sewed up, I went back to the labor room and then they transferred me to post partum. DH went to the NICU and spent some time with MK - we were able to take her to our room the next day because she latched and ate off the breast as soon as I put her to it. Yay!

So that's my story....

EDIT: Oh MK was born at 1007 PM, 5 hours after they almost did an emergency c-section. My MW told me that if any other DR had been on call I probably would have had a c-section at 5 PM. But the doc on call was positive I could have her vaginally. Oh, and everyone in the OR (I stayed there from 5-10) thought I was having a boy since the baby was giving me such a hard time. LOL

Edited by: PharmToxGirl on May 12, 2011 12:16 AM

MrsSy Posts : 504 Registered: 7/6/08
Posted: May 12, 2011 7:08 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Diva, I love how relax you were, lol. Congrats!

Pharm, That was a very long labor. Good you had her vaginally. Hope you got some sleep last night.

Proud Member of the P.O.O.P.

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: May 12, 2011 8:59 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Pharm- just saw your pics of MK, she is way too cute! :) I love the pic of your hubby, MK and kitty! I think that's how my lap will go! I meant to ask, how are your cat's handling the new addition? I worry mine will be jealous... they like to all 3 sit on me and take all my attention! :) I know they'll adjust, I just hope they don't start acting like little punks to get attention! haha

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Posted: May 13, 2011 7:10 PM Go to message in response to: MrsSy

My drs appt went well, thankfully my cervix is still nice and tight! :) So I have no limits on activity, just watch it and if I feel like something is changing or off to make an appt to get checked again. I go back again on the 24th (this weeks appt was a few days later than normal since the dr had an emergency on Tuesday), then weekly after that. I am happy and feeling better about it. I don't really mind the BHC, but they were definitely way more frequent than the 4 times an hour the book and web were saying was normal.

I have noticed a decrease today though so maybe all this super hydrating is helping. I hate having to pee so much, and I really hate how bloated it makes my abdomen, but its worth it if it keeps everything under control. :)

Well, have a great weekend ladies! I am off to bake a coffee cake since I can be up and about again!

Posted: May 13, 2011 8:28 PM Go to message in response to: JaniceO

Janice - Good news on the baby #2 front for you. I'm glad you are not on bedrest!

Anne - My Mom had a dream and knew it was a girl. She also got that confirmed at my ultrasound. She knew then that we were definitely having a girl.

My Mom travels all over the US. They sold their house and travel in a fifth wheel - which is a trailer that hooks into the bed of a pick up truck. She went up to NJ until Tuesday and then flies out to Omaha where she meets up with my StepDad.

They are going to make their way to the East Coast. I will definitely see her at Christmas but probably not before then.

NatashaAB Posts : 353 Registered: 10/6/08
Posted: May 14, 2011 11:53 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Diva, I love how calm you were during your contractions.

Pharm, I'm sorry that your mom left. :( It's VERY rough, I know. Your labour was crazy long and I'm glad you got a vaginal instead of the c/s. It's a good thing there are some proactive doctors out there.

Janice, great news about baby #2. Being dehydrated will definitely cause BH and more frequently. Stay very hydrated!

I skimmed so forgive me if I missed anything. I'm quite tired since A doesn't really let me put her down while she sleeps. If I try, she screams. I got 2 hours of sleep from Thursday to today. I wear her as often as I can so I can get stuff done during the day. I try to hold her while I sit on the couch so I can get some sleep but it's so uncomfortable.

I had A's baptism last weekend and it went really well. My dad and grandparents left on Tuesday to go back to Spain and it's just my mom and I left here. My mom is leaving in a month to go back and I don't know what I'm going to do without her. She's been here since the beginning of January and she has been my rock through everything.

Nat (23) Nate (33) L&E- March 17, 2010 A- January 26, 2011

Posted: May 15, 2011 9:18 AM Go to message in response to: NatashaAB

Nat - What kind of wrap do you use? I'm sorry about your family leaving - though I'm glad your Mom is there for another month. I know you have 3 littles ones total - that has to be a lot.

How are you doing otherwise?

MrsLaff5 Posts : 6 Registered: 2/5/11
Posted: May 15, 2011 10:38 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Agape, I appreciate your thoughts on getting pregnant and DH and I actually had the same convo yesterday. We're planning on waiting until October/November-ish to start trying. We'd like to start trying much sooner, but it's just not feasible. I will have had to be at my currently job for a yr to qualify for Mat Leave (which is unpaid unless you have sick time saved, but they hold your position for 12 weeks).

Also, my boss just announced her pregnancy, she's due just after Thanksgiving. So, I'll be doing her job and my own until she comes back from Mat Leave (although she is only taking 6 weeks, at least that's what she said). So, even if my cycles are "normal" (which they won't be), I'll be super stressed which will add to the stress of TTC. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But I did tell DH that we need to just do it. There's no perfect time.

Brooke, so cool that you got to hear the baby's heartbeat and him/her kick the doppler.

Sy, glad Dylan is recovering well!

Pharm, SCARY birth story, but I'm glad everything worked out. Very glad you were able to have a vaginal birth. Sorry about the pumping issues. I plan to exclusively pump when we have children and I've heard that many women have issues. I hope things get figured out for you.

Diva, I have no idea how you were able to be so calm during contractions (baby b/c this is baby #2), but good for you!!

Browne, good luck with TTC...so exciting!

Janice, I'm glad all the fluids are helping.

Nat, Sorry that your family had to leave, but it's awesome that your mom is there for another month!

Random question, I remember there was a lady on here called Bird (I think). Do any of you keep up with her? Has anyone heard from Jose's? What about Celiny?

I hope everyone is having a relaxing Sunday! I just took a certification exam yesterday...so finally I can RELAX!! I plan on doing absolutely nothing today (a little laundry, nothing else) and it feels GREAT!!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers

MrsLaff5 Posts : 6 Registered: 2/5/11
Posted: May 15, 2011 10:44 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

double post

Edited by: MrsLaff5 on May 15, 2011 10:48 AM

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine