How many wedding dresses did you try on?

Online Users: 1,319 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 11

Kerry23 Posts : 3 Registered: 4/14/11
How many wedding dresses did you try on?
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 2:33 AM

Hi, how many wedding dresses did you try on before you found your only one? Five, ten or more? I have tried on many dresses and shopped around the local and online bridal shops. Actually, I don’t have a clear idea about what dress I like most. Thus, I picked up several ones and hope that someone can offer me some suggestions. Thank you!
-1-http://www.inweddingdress.com/style-bc215.html
-2-http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=525167&CategoryID=5449&LinkType=PDPZ1
-3-http://monalisasboutique.com/Prom-Dress-La-Femme-15361.html
-4-http://www.dessy.com/s/i/product/5665/5665-MIDN-dts.jpg

Edited by: Kerry23 on Apr 14, 2011 2:33 AM

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: How many wedding dresses did you try on?
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: Kerry23

Dear Kerry,

Three.

I told the bridal shop attendant exactly what I wanted, and the very first dress she brought out was exactly what I wanted. It was not a traditional bridal gown, but instead a white debutante dress.

I tried on two more dresses, both of which were traditional bridal gowns. I couldn't take it any more. I loved the first one, tried it on again, and said "Bingo!".

(I hate clothes shopping, always have. I know what I like, I find it, buy it, and go.)

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 12:46 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I'm like Aunt. LOL I tried on maybe 4 dresses.

Was there with a friend, fell in love with one of them - wasn't buying one that day mind you. Put it on hold, managed to send pics to my Mom who was on a cruise across the Atlantic. She loved it too. Went back the next night, tried it on again and bought it. It wasn't even $500.

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 1:27 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I tried on about 8 just as a fun thing to do with my mom and MOH. I already knew the dress I wanted, I tried it on (the size in the store was WAAAAY too big) and found mine on ebay super cheap bought it and since then I have tried it on probably 5 times! LOVE IT!

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

I hate to admit it, but I tried on about thirty (I know! I know!). I completely changed my mind about what I wanted, and there aren't a lot of shops where I live so I had to go from tiny store to tiny store.

I had it set in my mind that I wanted a slim, lacy dress with a keyhole back, but I hated the look of horizontal seams that so many of them had. My mother and I were at the last store and she asked me if I wanted to try something different, and if I had tried on a dress with a bigger skirt. I agreed to try one on "just for kicks" and the next thing I knew I was laughing at the mirror because I knew I had found it, even though it was about the opposite of everything else I had been looking at. My mom and I have always had similar tastes, so looking back now it doesn't surprise me... But man, in that moment it sure did!

I think it's ok to try on a lot of dresses as long as you're not just pulling every dress for the heck of it. There's a difference between shopping and wasting the attendant's time. I wish I didn't have to try on so many before I found mine, it gets kind of tiring after a while!

anne11235813 Posts : 58 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 4:09 PM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

I tried about eight or nine dresses on. I went with my mom and dad (yes, my dad :o)).

It was really great: first I picked out a couple of dresses I really liked. Most of them were from Pronovias, but I didn't know that until I actually tried them on.

My mom went with me to the dressing room and helped me (together with the attendant). My dad waited outside and I must say in the end he helped me to decide.

I loved two of the dresses (both Pronovias) and he urged my to take the one that was a bit more simple but also more elegant. And he was right, it was the perfect dress :o)

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 6:01 PM Go to message in response to: anne11235813

Dear Anne,

Yay Dad!

And Yay Mom for picking such a great guy in the first place. You are a lucky kid.

anne11235813 Posts : 58 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2011 10:37 AM Go to message in response to: Aunt

Thank you, Aunt!

Yes, I am indeed very lucky with my parents and we are very close.

But my dad really surprised me that day we went dress shopping. Usually if we want to buy clothes he prefers to wait in a café until we are done :o)

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: Kerry23

I can't even count how many dresses I've tried on! I'm the type of person who can't even lay out my clothes the night before because in the morning I'll change my mind, so buying a dress months in advance was very hard for me! Even after I found my dress, I still shopped for a few months just to make sure I wouldn't change my mind, and to this day I still haven't seen a dress I like better (it was 2 years ago when I found the dress).

Dannysgirl11 Posts : 1 Registered: 4/19/11
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 12:33 PM Go to message in response to: Kerry23

I am a second time bride. I think it was worse for me this time around with dresses than the first. I did not want to look ANYthing like my first wedding. My first, I literally looked like some bridal Faberge doll with the BIGBIGBIG dress and veil. Yet, I still wanted to look like a bride. And I was hoping for PINK too, that would be nice. I didn't just try on every dress in site, I bought about 4 of them. My "dream dress" is a mermaid sheath with a row of buttons. I look like myself, still look like I'm getting married, and can be MUCH more relaxed. Walking is also a big plus and I won't need ANYONE to help me go to the bathroom this time, so my dignity can remain in tact. Try on as many as you have to. It's the one thing that should reflect who you are, your style, and be flattering to you and you alone. No, it's not pink, but I love it just the same.

Posted: Apr 19, 2011 10:54 PM Go to message in response to: Dannysgirl11

Dear DG,

It is refreshing to hear of a second-timer who is willing to go with a color other than white. I think a pink dress would be beautiful. My mother was a second-time bride when she married my dad, and wore silver.

I'm old-fashioned enough to believe that white is appropriate only for the bride's first wedding, although many would disagree.

What another woman wears to her own wedding is her business, white, pink, or polka-dots. What I might wear to my own wedding is my business, and as a second-timer I would not choose white.

Beautifulbride Posts : 6 Registered: 9/26/10
Posted: Oct 24, 2012 8:26 PM Go to message in response to: Kerry23

I would have to say I tried on around maybe eight to ten dresses with maybe three or four different silhouettes before I found the silhouette that I liked to narrow down atleast the silhouette that I liked so I could pick out the dress I liked with that silhouette. I found the dress at the first place I went to but I still went to a couple other places that had similar silhouette styles.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine