just got engaged!!

Online Users: 1,249 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

megzlynn88 Posts : 1 Registered: 3/21/11
just got engaged!!
Posted: Mar 21, 2011 11:47 AM

I just got engaged 2 days ago...and i am so excited but, i have no idea where to start..any ideas...

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Re: just got engaged!!
Posted: Mar 21, 2011 12:04 PM Go to message in response to: megzlynn88

Well first off, Congratulations!!!

The first two things that I think are the most important to establish are

1. Budget
2. Guest list

Sit down with your fiance and establish how much money you are willing to put into the wedding. Do you know if parents will be contributing? Establish an X amount.

Then make a list of who will be invited to the wedding to get a good guesstimate of the number.

The number of guests is really important with your budget--if your budget is $15 000 and you have a guest list of 50 you can splurge a lot more than if your guest list is 120.

That's where I would start.

After that I would establish a date. You also have to decide if you want to be flexible with the date. You might pick June 15--but then find out that your ideal venue is not available then--but it is available June 22. Do you go with the date? Or do you go with the venue?

And then you can get into the really fun stuff.

Hope to see you posting often! There are so many ideas floating around here and many wonderful and wise ladies.

futureswedishbr... Posts : 115 Registered: 7/27/10
Posted: Mar 22, 2011 11:00 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Yeah I would have to agree. Get yourself, your parents, your fiance and your fiance's parents together and find out how much each camp is willing to contribute if at all. Money is the most important factor of ANY wedding.

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Mar 22, 2011 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: futureswedishbr...

Congratulations!!! Yup budget and guestlist, then venue and date.

Vow2Save Posts : 2 Registered: 2/15/11
Posted: Mar 22, 2011 4:19 PM Go to message in response to: megzlynn88

Congradulations! When are you planning on getting married? Also setting up the budget, not fun, but mandatory. It will get better after you organize a little bit. Make a list of everything that you will need to do (dress, reception, venue, etc). Then go down the list of what you need to do.

For the budget I recommend:Reception 40%, Décor 10%, Ceremony 10%, Photographer 10%, Attire 5%, Videographer 5%, Rentals/DJ 5%, Stationery 5%, Gifts 4%, Group Activities/ Other 3%

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Mar 22, 2011 9:59 PM Go to message in response to: Vow2Save

I just want to add that I disagree with the previous post.
I think the whole ratio situation when planning a wedding is ridiculous.

I care about having really great food. I care about having really great photography. I don't care about having a great videographer. I don't care about having an expensive dress. I don't care about having a DJ or a band--an ipod would be fine.

Now other people will prioritize differently then me--they may really care about photography and they may want a band--and they may not care as much about flowers and food.

Different priorities create different ratios for the budget. And each wedding is different and people will spend their money in different ways.

futureswedishbr... Posts : 115 Registered: 7/27/10
Posted: Mar 23, 2011 10:24 AM Go to message in response to: megzlynn88

Everyone has their own preferences. Do what is best for you and your fiance.

PP2B Posts : 2 Registered: 3/29/11
Posted: Mar 29, 2011 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: megzlynn88

I also am newly engaged! when is a good time to start looking for the dress? :)

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 12:07 AM Go to message in response to: megzlynn88

Ladies,

Let me suggest a plan of attack here.

First, get yourself a loose-leaf notebook with pocket folders. Organize it by Dress, Flowers, Venue, Caterer, Menswear, etc.

Next, get some bridal magazines and look at the editorial copy and the ads. When you see something you like, tear out the ad and put it in the appropriate pocket folder. From time to time, go through your ad collection and remove anything that no longer appeals to you.

At the same time, think about the budget. Nail down how much money you have to spend and from what sources. Are any of those sources "unreliable"? If so, then either get the money in your hand or forget about including that sum in your total. If your "unreliable" person comes through later, great, you have a bonus. If not, then you are still on target.

Next, come up with a provisional guest list. With those numbers, look at what kind of reception budget you have per person. How does that compare to your money in hand?

Go through your notebook and start sketching out approximate costs for everything EXCEPT the dress. After you have a total for the reception and other costs, see what you have left to spend on the dress. Compare that to the dresses you have in your folder.

Adjust as necessary. You might use Excel to set up "what if" type scenarios. "What if we have 100 people, at $50/head?" "What if we have 200 people at $35/head?"

Remember that reception costs have to include the entire bottom line: meal cost plus tax and gratuity. When you look at venue catering menus on their websites, add an appropriate percentage to cover tax and gratuity before putting the number in your "what if" budget.

AND YES I KNOW YOU WANT TO SHOP FOR A DRESS. Do that after you have a very good idea of your maximum price you are willing to pay. That way you can tell the bridal shop consultant, for example, "Nothing over $1000". Don't even bother to try on dresses that are over your budgeted amount, even if the consultant says "Oh, let's do this just for fun.". They know that once you try on an expensive dress, the cheaper dresses will feel "cheap" by comparison.

People have come on this website talking about how they are in love with a dress that comes to a giant percentage of their entire budget. Don't let that happen to you; it will only break your heart. It really looks terrible if you wear an expensive designer dress, then serve really cheap refreshments at the reception.

Get educated, get going and have fun!

PolarIce Posts : 39 Registered: 12/17/10
Posted: Mar 31, 2011 3:03 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

You know, I do see similarly. I find having good company, a great dress and pictures is what is important.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine