Negotiate Ring Prices? Engagement?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

1kneedown Posts : 2 Registered: 3/21/11
Negotiate Ring Prices? Engagement?
Posted: Mar 21, 2011 2:22 PM

Eh, I don't know how else to phrase it, but basically, I want to know if it is considered acceptable to "wheel and deal" (so to speak) on engagement rings. For example, save X amount on this ring if we agree to buy the bridal jewelry and/or wedding bands at their store? I am not trying to be a cheapskate, but if there is room for the price to be negotiated saving a little money is always nice. However, if this is not acceptable, I do not mind paying full price for this ring.

On a more romantic note, I took my intended out this weekend to look at rings under the pretense that my dad wanted her input on a new ring for my mom. Their anniversary is right around the corner, and my mom's ring was recently "lost" when they had company over, so the 'lie' was believable. Also she has no idea I am planning on proposing because honestly I've not hinted at it at all. Or at least I don't think I have, who knows she is a pretty smart woman, she might have figured me out.

Anyway, we were at Kay's Jewelers and she seemed to gravitate towards a very nice looking ring. I am not a jewelry person and even I thought it looked good. However, since she didn't think it was for her, she wasn't really being price thrifty (which is exactly what I wanted. I want her to pick a ring she likes because she likes it, not because its a deal). Now before you say she was spending my dad's money for him, she wasn't really being too unreasonable. This was the ring she picked out:
http://www.kay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product1|10101|10001|-1|990646705|15051|
It is about $2,300 (before tax), and actually from what I've read, that is an appropriate amount to spend for a ring. Yes, while it is quiet a bit for a piece of jewelry, I've had buddies drop over twice that for a ring. Since she really liked it, I think it is worth it. Also just to double check, she is taking my mom out this weekend for a girl's lunch out, and is going to swing by the store to "shop" with my mom. Of course my mom is in on the plan, but my girlfriend thinks she is just going to get my mom's approval on the ring. (Hehe)

Then, assuming she likes it, (oh yes, the jeweler is in on this too) my mom is going to send my girlfriend out to the car to get my mom's check book (which is cleverly not in the car) and while she is out, my mom is going to get the ring put on hold until I can swing by later that day and buy it. We are lucky the ring fits her perfectly. Also I will be paying for the ring in full, so maybe I could get a deal there too (will pay with cash if they are more willing to deal that way too... again if not, I am perfectly fine with paying full.)

Hoping that all goes well, I am planning on a romantic dinner, all dressed up Sunday night, and maybe then she'll assume I am going to propose, but I am not doing it at the restaurant. When I take her home I am going to slip the ring around her cat's collar and when she goes to pick him up (like she always does) I am going to kneel down and propose - and hope she finds the ring on the collar - and hopefully she'll say yes. Of course the plan might be altered, but I think this is romantic and she'll love it. Not to mention I am not really a romantic guy so I think she'll be caught off guard too. (My parents did play a role in helping me plan this, I am not that clever!)

Anyway, thanks for reading and hopefully you can offer advice on both things. Please don't get mad at me, I am a stupid man, and sometimes miss the obvious things, so be gentle!

CaliforniaLove Posts : 15 Registered: 2/15/09
Re: Negotiate Ring Prices? Engagement?
Posted: Mar 22, 2011 2:05 AM Go to message in response to: 1kneedown

First, I think you're very sweet and I love how much thought you've put into this! Your soon to be fiance is a very lucky girl!

Now to your questions, Kays isn't really the place to "negotiate". They are a chain store and they do not really have the authority to lower their prices. Other than their "sales" - you're not going to get a percentage off. I would know.. we bought my "promise ring" at one of their sales..

You can, however, negotiate with your local jeweler. My fiance paid cash for my ring and was able to negotiate a 5% discount. He was able to get a better price on the center stone than anything similar we could find online. But it is all a matter of priorities. I am a notorious coupon shopper and I would feel soooo ripped off if a similar ring was sitting elsewhere for much less. Many people do not care (lucky people) and just want to find that perfect ring. Neither avenue is right.. it's just a matter of preferences - price and what you want in a ring.

I think you should look at a few local jewelers (yelp is a GREAT tool) and see if you can find something similar for less. Print out the a picture of the ring and it's specs and see what they can do. Your local jewelers may surprise you AND you'll get to support local business owners. Best of luck to you! :)

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Mar 22, 2011 9:00 AM Go to message in response to: 1kneedown

I agree with PP--ring prices are more so negotiable at independent stores that get to control their own pricing. But Kay's isn't one of those stores.

If price is really important to you then I would take a picture of that ring with you to local jewellers and see if you can find something similar for cheaper.

But it is a fairly elaborate ring and I would be surprised if you could find one for much cheaper than that.

It also sounds like you really have your heart set on 'that' ring and you have a very elaborate plan to get it with your parents. So my guess is that you are going to stick with that ring.

But that does mean you will be sticking with that 2300.

The whole plan is very cute--its nice to see a future groom on here talking about making his girlfirend feel special!

PolarIce Posts : 39 Registered: 12/17/10
Posted: Mar 22, 2011 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: CaliforniaLove

I think chain or not, it's worth trying. Tho we paid my ring in full, on many other trips to the jewelery store(a chain company), we have made some really great deals. I think any store is able to work with their prices and negotiate you a deal-you just have to know how to work it, but I think you should definitely try to work something out.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Mar 22, 2011 11:33 AM Go to message in response to: 1kneedown

Dear 1kd,

" Also she has no idea I am planning on proposing because honestly I've not hinted at it at all. Or at least I don't think I have, who knows she is a pretty smart woman, she might have figured me out."

Dude, women have been able to figure out if a man wants to marry them from the dawn of time. They have also been able to pretend that they have no clue, similarly, from the dawn of time. That's just a fact of life.

Congrats on being attractive to a "pretty smart woman". That must mean you are a great guy.

Yes, you can negotiate ring prices. Go to the place, by yourself, and ask to speak to the manager. Be straightforward.

"What kind of deal can you offer me? What if we also buy the wedding rings here, later in the engagement?"

Then, just listen. If the manager offers you a deal you think is good, then accept. If not, then consider going somewhere else.

Jewelry store managers hear that all the time. It's part of their job to either have deals ready or to politely decline to discount prices.

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Mar 22, 2011 11:46 AM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I agree with Aunt. My fiance's roommate works at Jensen's and I think a little bit of haggling goes on there. Can't hurt to try!

1kneedown Posts : 2 Registered: 3/21/11
Posted: Mar 23, 2011 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

Sorry it took so long to reply, however I did read your comments and did do some research. I guess I am terrible at Google searches because I had a hard time finding jewelers in my area, so I turned to my yellow pages and found a few good ones, so after work yesterday I took some time to visit some of the closer ones with a picture of the ring I have in mind. I have to admit it is hard to find bands that have that kind of design on it, and when I did it was a Tacori ring (I think that was the name) and was about $2,000 more than the original ring - however the diamond was larger and was of better color and clarity, and even with the discount the jeweler would give me it was still more than the original ring (but its a very good ring, and he was willing to offer free cleanings/inspections). I think I might ask my girlfriend to take my mom by this store too, and I don't know, tell her my dad found a similar ring there, and ask her to see which my mom likes better and then ask her which she liked better (but that is going to be so obvious, maybe I'll get my mom to ask?)

Also, I asked to speak with a manager at Kay's and he said that he can usually offer discounts and then asked which ring I was interested in. Now I don't know if I was being had, but when I showed him the ring he said that this particular chain of rings, the Neil Lane Bridal collection, is a test item and is out of his jurisdiction and would need to make a few calls to see what he could offer. I went after I found the 2nd ring at the other jeweler so I at least had something to compare it too, so we'll see what can be done. He should be calling me soon. However, if I go with the other jeweler I might have to postpone my plans on the proposal because he would actually have to re-size the ring and since Saturday is when they are going out and Sunday is when I would propose he wouldn't be able to get it done in time. But that is okay, I've waited almost 5 years, I can wait a little longer!

Also, I am starting to get really nervous too, not about getting engaged but just jitters. Nightmares of proposing and she tells me "Oh sorry, I love your brother!" (I am an only child, by the way.) And thank you guys for the complement about my being romantic, that makes me feel confident she'll think its romantic too. Whew, this is actually harder than I thought.

Thank you ladies for replying, and yes, I am a very lucky man to have found such a wonderful woman. I will try and keep you all updated on what I learn about negotiating and see what comes back from Kay's. Again, input is appreciated!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine