Couple's Shower Delimma

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
Couple's Shower Delimma
Posted: Mar 7, 2011 6:47 PM

A friend of the family wants to throw a couples shower for us.

Where we are from it is customary to host the showers in peoples homes. Because of our unusually large guestlist (400) (his father is a public figure) the hostesses of the shower decided to split the showers and throw us another. One is the typical bridal shower and the crowd invited to that is the older adult women (His mom's friends, my mom's friends, family). The next shower is a couples shower where our friends and younger cousins/family is invited.

The format of the couple's shower is more of a spring barbecue than a games, tea sandwich, and presents affair. The hostess in charge told me the plan was to have a gift card shower because younger people wouldn't want to watch presents being opened.

I've never heard of one but I'm also not familiar with different types of showers. Is it a common thing or are our guests going to be confused?

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Couple's Shower Delimma
Posted: Mar 7, 2011 8:00 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

Dear LCF,

People of all ages like to see presents opened, but there are people of all ages who might get bored.

I suggest you speak to the couples shower hostess and nix the gift card deal.

When it come time to open presents, just have a alternate conversation area available so those who get bored with the present parade can go and visit with other friends. Those who want to watch can stay and watch.

HananaBanana Posts : 11 Registered: 3/3/11
Posted: Mar 7, 2011 8:33 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

how many presents are we talking about? I don't want to you watch you open 150 presents. I am the "younger" crowd. I would say skip presents all together, that way it won't matter what type of shower it is, presents, gift cards, etc.

A shower that is bigger than most people's wedding? NOBODY wants to see you open all those gifts.

chris42005 Posts : 89 Registered: 4/6/10
Posted: Mar 10, 2011 4:46 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I would nix telling the couples what type of gift to bring. That would bug me. For the older ladies, I would kinda see how many presents/cards(you might get some of those here also) you get. If you have alot than you might want to skip opening all together or open all of them, including cards. We did not open cards, and offended some of our older relatives who gave us money even though we thanked them.

I like the idea of having a location set aside for people who want to have a conversation or who get bored. But only opening 5 or so random might get you in trouble.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine