Passports

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Passports
Posted: Dec 30, 2010 12:26 PM

Ladies,

Time to remind you about checking your passport!

Are you planning any international trips? Honeymoon outside the country? Do you have your passport? Is your current passport close to renewal? Do you need to change your last name on your existing passport?

Any questions?

asiabride Posts : 9 Registered: 7/15/10
Re: Passports
Posted: Feb 27, 2011 9:33 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Ok, here's a question. This will be my first time renewing a passport, which is going to expire before my wedding date. The question is, which is easier; renewing a current passport and then going back to get my name changed on it a few months later, or waiting until after I've changed over to my new last name and renewing an expired one.

bryansgift Posts : 11 Registered: 6/19/10
Posted: Feb 27, 2011 11:06 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Does anyone know how long it will really take to get one in Alabama, it says 4-6 weeks, but I don't wanna cut it too close. Any personal experiences here?

Wedding Tickers

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Feb 27, 2011 11:44 PM Go to message in response to: asiabride

Ladies,

"The question is, which is easier; renewing a current passport and then going back to get my name changed on it a few months later, or waiting until after I've changed over to my new last name and renewing an expired one."

A passport can be renewed by mail if the following are true:

1. The passport was issued after your 16th birthday.
2. It is undamaged.
3. Was issued within the past 15 years.
4. New passport in your current name or you can legally document a name change. That means you can submit a certified copy of your marriage certificate.

Passport issued to adults (16 years and older) are good for 10 years, so that means that a passport can be expired for up to 5 years and still be renewed by mail.

If you don't have any plans for international travel in the near future, I'd suggest you wait and renew it after you get married and have your certified copy of your marriage certificate. That way you can do the name change and renewal at the same time.

For full info go to: http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html

"Does anyone know how long it will really take to get one in Alabama, it says 4-6 weeks, but I don't wanna cut it too close. Any personal experiences here?"

It so happens that I have some friends who recently got their passports renewed. It took them six weeks. I work for a company that requires, as a condition of employment, that everyone have a passport. Six weeks is about standard for an uncomplicated application.

Your location (Alabama, etc) does not matter, as passports are sent to a national center for processing.

We are entering the "rush" season as people start planning their summer travel. If you are concerned about getting a passport for summer travel, I'd suggest you start now.

If you are planning to get married and change your name, they give you a break. If you apply for a new passport, in your maiden name, then send in for a name change within the first year, they don't charge you the new application fee. If you change your name after you have had a passport for a year, you have to go through the entire new application process and pay the full fee.

Finally, a lot of people wonder if they can "pre-change" their name in their passport in anticipation of a wedding and honeymoon. Sorry, no. They won't do the change until you have the marriage certificate in hand, which you get after the ceremony is complete. Honeymoon travel has to be done in your maiden name, as far as passport and airline tickets are concerned. Come back from your honeymoon, get your marriage certificate, THEN start the name change process.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 12, 2012 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 9:44 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

A-Line Straight Neckline Strapless Wedding Gown with Delicate Lace Applique Tulle Dress
Save up to 21% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $158.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-straight-neckline-strapless-wedding-gown-with-delicate-lace-applique-tulle-dress-p-33891.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine