How do I dress this staircase cheaply but effectively?!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

pinkbatgirl Posts : 4 Registered: 2/15/11
How do I dress this staircase cheaply but effectively?!
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 4:39 AM

I've spent most of the wedding budget on the venue to secure a beautiful castle which has a fairytale staircase that I'll be walking down as my big entrance and which will then be visible and prominent throughout the rest of the day.

That means I need to dress it well but I'm on a tight budget now, so I've no idea how to do it. Any suggestions welcome!

Image:

Daisypath Wedding tickers

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: How do I dress this staircase cheaply but effectively?!
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 8:04 AM Go to message in response to: pinkbatgirl

when is the wedding?

(I know... strange question)

Looks like they have already dressed it with evergreens and white Christmas lights. And those look beautiful as they have it.

Misty

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 9:03 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

The wedding is 2nd June next year :)

The pic shows how someone else dressed it for their wedding, no idea how much dressing it like that cost! (It was the only pic I could find that showed the staircase properly)

chris42005 Posts : 89 Registered: 4/6/10
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 11:22 PM Go to message in response to: pinkbatgirl

How about some tall vases with fake flowers that match your colors and some lights? Break up the flowers and fill up the vases so there is a pop of color on the stairs at intervals. I would keep it simple because the staircase is so big. If you dress it too much than it will over power.

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 11:33 PM Go to message in response to: chris42005

I completely agree with the above poster. I was going to write that very thing but they beat me to it! The other possible suggestion I had was to take long strips of cloth, your wedding colors or white, and wrap them around the banister like they did with the lights. The stairs are gorgeous!

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 7:07 AM Go to message in response to: chris42005

I like the idea of the vases filled with the flowers, sounds effective - I'm concerned that the vases would be quite costly though, I guess florists would probably have them available to rent though??

I love the lights they have in the picture I posted but all the flowers and greenery they have there looks awfully expensive to me - so I thought about winding lights around the banisters without the flowers but I thought that would look a bit cheap really. Maybe hiding the lights in amongst the lengths of fabric suggested would work?

I agree that there is a danger of over-dressing it which would then be too much - I think it's a bit over-dressed in the pic I posted.

My colours are white and fuschia btw, with the dark wood I don't think fuschia will look very good as prominent colour but white seems too much of a contrast :/

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 8:07 AM Go to message in response to: pinkbatgirl

Also again... you went for this place because it is beautiful. Sometimes, we overdress the location. Maybe just tall vases or candles at the bottom of the stairs and leave it alone otherwise.

It looks gorgeous as is. Let its own charm be in being itself.

Misty

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 9:26 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I completely agree with Cat's last post. Sometimes venues are beautiful all by themselves and don't really need any extra dressing up. This stairway is a perfect example. Maybe some candles to the bottom, or a simple arrangement of flowers going down every few steps or something.

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 11:26 AM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

I think you're both on to something with the less is more approach, I particularly like the idea of lining the steps with candles, simple but very effective and gets the effect of the lights that I was wanting but scared would be tacky - hope I don't set my dress on fire!!

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 11:38 AM Go to message in response to: pinkbatgirl

LOL, you won't, but if that is true fear they do make the candles that illuminates, but doesn't burn fire!

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 1:47 PM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

Be sure to check with the venue on their restrictions on candles or open flames. I love the Idea as well, maybe candles down the stairs and 2 flower vases at the bottom.

WoodlandBride Posts : 52 Registered: 1/6/11
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 11:22 AM Go to message in response to: pinkbatgirl

Just a quick tip (In case you have not thought about it already) Be sure to practice coming down the stairs IN YOUR DRESS (and shoes). This may require some time early in the morning, but the only thing that might be more embarrassing than setting the gown aflame would be tripping.

HananaBanana Posts : 11 Registered: 3/3/11
Posted: Mar 4, 2011 10:49 AM Go to message in response to: WoodlandBride

I agree with Cat- let the venue speak for itself with minimal!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine