Reception help

Online Users: 1,236 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

twigsandlace Posts : 6 Registered: 1/21/11
Reception help
Posted: Jan 31, 2011 10:33 PM

Having a hard time setting a time for my ceremony & reception because we don't want a sit down reception. Not our style and we would rather spend the money elsewhere.

I would like to have pictures taken before the ceremony so we can start the reception right after. But my fiance doesn't want to see me before I walk down the aisle.

I am concerned about our reception being held to close to the dinner hour where people would expect to be served a full meal.

What do you think is an acceptable time before dinner hour to begin a stand up reception? Or does it even matter?

Suggestions? Ideas?

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Re: Reception help
Posted: Jan 31, 2011 11:22 PM Go to message in response to: twigsandlace

I think a ceremony around 1 or 2 with a reception following closely after would work.

That way the ceremony could start around 2 or 3--serve some light refreshments--and then guests can leave around 6 and eat their full meals.

About the photography. You could always take some photos with your own bridal parties and with your own parents before the ceremony. And then take the photos with you two together afterwards--but it does get complicated with different photoshoot times...

There is always the option of the 'First Look' which a lot of couples opt for. I know that he wants to wait to see you as you walk down the aisle--but even traditionalists have explained that the 'First Look' was a really special and intimate moment. It's where you pick a time and place to meet before the wedding and the photographer accompanies you and captures the moment when the groom and bride first see each other before their wedding. You can choose whether to do it alone or with family/bridal party present. And then the family/bridal party can join you in your group photos prior to the ceremony.

If he is really set on the first sight if you being as you walk down the aisle--you will either have to do photos afterwards (which is fine, guests tend to expect this) or you can do what I explained earlier and break it up to shorten the post-ceremony photoshoot.

But the First Look might be some food for thought...

Maybe suggest it to him? Makes things nice and simple!

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 11:30 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I suggested the First Look thing to him he said he doesn't want it but isn't 100% against it. I thought of just going ahead and planning the way I want to but I want to be respectful of him if that is really what he wants.

I did suggest that he and I take separate pictures before the ceremony (especially if he isn't will to compromise).

So starting the reception at 3 wouldn't be too late for people not to expect a sit down? I thought of adding the reception type to the invite just so people know what they are in for.

We would have enough food that people could eat and feel full it is just cheaper than the full sit down reception with food and decor costs.

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Feb 1, 2011 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: twigsandlace

As a random guest I wouldn't expect to be served a meal at three. Since you're providing food it wouldn't seem awkward, as long as you still gave guests a place to sit down if they got tired throughout the evening. It sounds like what you're doing should be fine.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Feb 1, 2011 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

I'm with WW - at three, I wouldn't expect a full meal BUT I would have enough seats for everyone to be able to sit down. This is a HUGE pet peeve for me at a wedding reception. And one of the last ones I was at I was giving my seat to elderly people despite being pregnant and needing to sit down - I'm younger - but there were others that could have easily done so and were not courteous.

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 2:13 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Ok thank you for your opinions!
My mom kept saying 3 is too late not to serve a meal but I think it's fine. We will have seating available for all our guests both outdoors and indoors.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 1, 2011 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: twigsandlace

I'm going to ping Kelleyiskelley and ask her to post her First Look story here.

My DH was against seeing me before I walked down the aisle. I wanted the First Look, not just for the pictures, but because I had read KelleyisKelley's story. I read her story to him, and he said "I want THAT!"

Misty

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 2:41 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I am very interested to read it!!

NightfallenRain Posts : 120 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Feb 8, 2011 6:11 PM Go to message in response to: twigsandlace

Hi fellow brides!

We are having our ceremony at 2pm and our reception ends at 7:30pm. We are having a full sit-down dinner though and we end early enough so that if people want to do their own thing after, they can. =) I don't know about anyone else, but when I go to a wedding, I make sure to be HUNGRY, lol, because usually they have good food at weddings. So guests come expecting lots of food and lots of fun.

"The woman came from a man's rib.  Not from his feet to be walked on, not from his head to be superior, but from the side to be equal, under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved."

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine