Trying to help my sister

Online Users: 1,356 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

eak435s Posts : 1 Registered: 1/20/11
Trying to help my sister
Posted: Jan 20, 2011 2:06 AM

Hi. My sister is getting married in the fall and had her dress picked out, but there were some issues with the shop and she ended up not being able to get the one she had strong feelings for. I thought I'd be a good brother and fix the problem by finding the dress online somewhere so she could get it from a local store (this store was a few hours away from home). As it turns out, my Y-chromosome makes all wedding dresses look pretty much the same. I called the store and they refused to tell me anything about the dress. They also cut out the tags from their dresses and list them by dress number, not designer or model number. (That seems messed up to me, but I guess they can do what they want.)

My question is, can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the designer or model of this dress? I only have the three pictures listed below. She was quoted somewhere around $1050 for it if that helps narrow it down. I feel bad since she spent months looking at dresses with our mother, which must have been horrible. Then she thought she found "the one" and now she can't get it.

Please let me know if you have any ideas of where I should start. I've been to a dozen wedding dress websites for different designers going through all their dresses one-by-one, but it turns out there is a lot more variety that I expected.

Thank you.
-erik

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=eakorte&target=ALBUM&id=5564155540824019665&authkey=Gv1sRgCI3Roaqz5dScJQ&feat=email
Picasa site for the pictures - let me know if you have problems loading them. There are only 3. The store had a no-pictures-until-you-buy-it policy, but she was buying it when stuff happened so we have these 3. Thank you.

lizziesmom Posts : 1 Registered: 1/17/11
Re: Trying to help my sister
Posted: Jan 20, 2011 7:26 AM Go to message in response to: eak435s

Go to David's Bridal online and click the "Galina" collection. I think I saw it there.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 20, 2011 8:39 AM Go to message in response to: eak435s

The Galina dress suggested by the PP is similar but not the same fabric (doesn't mean she won't like it I'm just saying).

The problem is unless someone's been looking at strapless dresses with a drop waist beaded waistband and flare skirt with train, it's not likely that anyone will know who designed it. Which is really unfortunate.

I wish they had an app where you could put a pic of the dress in and then it could figure out the most likely designers. LOL

Anyways, hopefully someone sees this and knows. Are there any other boutiques around you that might be able to ID the dress from the picture?

Good luck!

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 20, 2011 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: eak435s

Dear Eak,

I can't help you with the dress, but on behalf of sisters everywhere, thank you.

You are a good brother.

Dunebug Posts : 30 Registered: 11/8/10
Posted: Jan 20, 2011 11:15 AM Go to message in response to: eak435s

That is so sweet of you! I think that your best bet would be for your sister to take her business elsewhere. Reputable, customer-friendly shops do exist, and they should not forbid you from knowing the designer and style of a dress. You have those pictures, and I'm sure that you could find a shop nearby who would have an idea of who makes the dress and if they have it or could order it. It's even possible that it would be cheaper, since the other shop could raise their prices without you knowing until it's too late. Best of luck!

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 20, 2011 12:04 PM Go to message in response to: eak435s

Dear Good Brother,

It occured to me that the original shop might have been selling counterfeits, thus, they removed labels.

Sounds shady to me.

Azzura Posts : 21 Registered: 5/31/09
Posted: Jan 20, 2011 1:47 PM Go to message in response to: eak435s

Many salons list their designers on their website. If this salon does, it would help narrow it down. Good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine