How many and who should be invited to the engagement party?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

Kate2012 Posts : 30 Registered: 1/25/10
How many and who should be invited to the engagement party?
Posted: Jan 17, 2011 7:06 AM

My parents are planning an engagement party for us for this June but she has asked me to put together a guest list. Just wondering who should be invited. I did a basic list of parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and close friends and I am up to over 50! We have really large families but that seems a bit excessive. Also, am I supposed to include my aunt and uncles children? Some of my cousins are over 18 and would like them to be there because we are close but a lot are younger.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: How many and who should be invited to the engagement party?
Posted: Jan 17, 2011 8:48 AM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

Dear Kate,

If you have a giant family, all living nearby, then you have a giant engagement party.

Your family must be pretty much used to it, as they most likely have giant Thanksgiving Day dinners, giant Super Bowl parties, giant Labor Day barbeques, etc.

Given a choice between a large party inviting the whole family and hurting peoples' feelings, I'd go with the large party.

KaiEvents Posts : 4 Registered: 1/17/11
Posted: Jan 18, 2011 2:26 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

It's your engagement party, the people in attendance should be the people who you want to share this wonderful occasion with.

That being said, there is always the possibility of hurt feelings from people who don't get invited. Some respect should be paid to that, without compromising your event. I like to think of engagement parties as similar to any other family celebration and invite accordingly. The people who you would invite to your baby shower, coming of age event (bar/bot mitzvah, confirmation) and thanksgiving should also be on this guest list.

Every family is different, so take a cue from events past and feel free to personalize it to yourself.

Two human loves make one divine. - Elizabeth Barrett Browning http://www.kaievents.com

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Jan 18, 2011 2:39 PM Go to message in response to: KaiEvents

Our engagement party consisted of us inviting his mom and dad and my mom and dad out for a nice dinner to celebrate. So, go as big or as small as you want. But as you said your parents are throwing it, so why not ask them how much extended family you should invite.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine