Wedding venue chosen to benefit charity.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Wedding venue chosen to benefit charity.
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 12:03 PM

We may have found ourselves a place to get married where the money for our wedding would go towards a great cause! We haven't decided on it yet, but it's the first place we have put on our MAYBE list.

While discussing location possibilities, my FH suggested I look up a property I came across a number of years ago when it was for sale on MLS. ( I have a hobby of browsing through the most expensive properties in alberta just for fun). I later saw an article in the local paper saying it was bought by the Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta. So I looked it up.

It's called Camp Kindle. They run week long summer camps for kids with cancer. In the spring/fall/winter they book the facility out to schools, corporate retreats and music groups. I emailed them and asked if they had ever hosted a wedding and they said no, but they would be very excited to! Their camps run Monday to Saturday morning but said we would be welcome to set up with camp still in session and have guests arrive after noon and we could have the whole facility the rest of the weekend.

Here is a link with a photo tour of the property.

http://www.kidscancercare.ab.ca/kccf/CK_tour.htm

The music hall is gorgeous! Could maybe have ceremony there if the weather is crappy and the reception in the dining hall, or have the ceremony outside and the reception/dance in the music hall. I don't know how far that is away from the kitchen though so that may not work. The woman there has invited us out for a tour and we will likely try and get out there in the next couple weeks to see it.

Everyone would have a place to crash, so no drinking and driving. For those that don't want to stay in the bunk houses, they can bring campers/trailers or my Uncle has a nice house that is in the same area with 3 guest rooms that he will likely let some of our family use. Our house has 4 rooms and is not terribly far away which could also be offered.

The kitchen manager said she could do dinner(depending on the menu) and breakfast the next day for less than half the dinner costs at other locations. The deciding factor will be guest list and budget. There is no facility rental fee unless we want to book the rustic cabin or volunteer residence, only a charge per person for accommodations and a charge for meals.

And the best part is all the profits go towards a really great cause and not some huge hotel chain, golf course or otherwise!

I forwarded the details the host sent me to my FH yesterday and we have yet to discuss the details but I certainly hope he is as excited as I am about the idea!

Edited by: Beeble on Jan 6, 2011 2:28 PM

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Re: Wedding to benefit charity.
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Dear Beeble,

That sounds really great.

Many people want to support a charity by turning their wedding into some kind of fund raiser. Usually it involves asking for donations in lieu of gifts or giving a donation in lieu of favors. I don't like that.

I suggest, as an alternative, that the couple purchase something tangible from the charity, then give those out as favors. (eg pink rubber bracelets, etc)

You are taking that good idea to a whole new level. You are purchasing a whole set of goods and services from the charity, thus supporting their work in a positive way. Your guest will be made aware of the group just be being there, which is also good.

Excellent.

bearma Posts : 23 Registered: 12/9/07
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 12:38 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Great find Beeble! I too have been trying to find a venue that puts what I spend towards something a little more special.

I have found a couple of places for venues - here is some info i wanted to share for those who also may be looking for non-profit venues in my area, which is Washington DC. I think these venues also might have profiles on this site.

1. Thorpewood: A non-profit retreat center in the mountains in Maryland for addressing academic and personal needs for at-risk youth. All proceeds benefit programs for the kids.
2. Audubon Naturalist Society: a non-profit environmental education and conservation advocacy organization. Proceeds support maintenance of the building and nature sanctuary and education and conservation programs.

And thanks Aunt for the favor idea! I also do not like the charitable donations thing in lieu of gift registry, so this is a great option I haven't thought of.

MizJodi Posts : 65 Registered: 3/8/07
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: bearma

that's awesome! Not at all what I expected to read with the subject. I think it's perfectly fantastic!

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 2:07 PM Go to message in response to: MizJodi

wow! Wonderful idea. The only question I have is what would your insurance costs be?

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

The camp itself carries insurance, and the only thing we would have to purchase would be a liquor license so that we could have alcohol on the premise. And of course we would have to purchase the alcohol ourselves.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

I would also suggest hiring someone to be a bartender.

For my SIL's bachelorette party, they hired a kid right out of bartending school who was relatively inexpensive, but is still someone to monitor consumption (even with most not driving, some may still drive).

Sounds great though! Good luck!

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Re: Wedding venue chosen to benefit charity.
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 3:37 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

What a unique wedding location! Go for it!

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 6:05 PM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

Well i rechecked the contract and would be required to carry insurance. Looks like about $200-$400 for that. That's not too terrible i guess for a 2 day event.

Bunks are $50 a person. Would it be rude to say "come to our wedding in the middle of nowhere we have arranged bunkhouse accomodation at $50 a person" Or maybe we could subsidize that and say $25 a person so it's more affordable for the families. If a family of 4 stayed in a hotel of the area it would likely be close to $100 a night anyways.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 6:20 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

If people come to a wedding and you provide info to local hotels.

You can say - there are accommodations (explain) available at the site of the reception for $50 each. But I would also give them hotel options in the area.

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 6:32 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I just checked out some of the "local" hotels and they are not much better than the bunk houses. lol.

I could say something like.
We have arranged the option to stay the night on site at in the bunk houses for $50 per person, the bunk houses have full indoor restroom accommodations including showers. You are also welcome to bring your camper, tent or trailer and park on site. Alternatively there are X hotels 20 min from the venue at $$$$ per night.

Posted: Jan 7, 2011 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Well my fiancee and I talked about it last night and we have decided to definitely go out to site and check it out. We did calculations and even if my parents don't chip in and we pay for everyone's accommodations it will still be in around our budget limit. Will have to talk to the kitchen manager and see what our food options are etc as well. Woo hoo!

rendistylist Posts : 2 Registered: 1/17/11
Posted: Jan 17, 2011 9:03 AM Go to message in response to: Beeble

How refreshing! I have never heard of this before but what a wonderful advantage you have to give back on one of the biggest day's of your life. Good for you I love hearing stories like this. Hope it goes well for you.

Posted: Jan 17, 2011 11:47 AM Go to message in response to: rendistylist

Well we were supposed to go see the venue on Sunday, but called Thursday and Friday and left messages, called Saturday and finally got a hold of the lady on Sunday morning after we had already made other plans for the day. Turns out the resident manager/kitchen manager is in the process of packing and will be moving out next weekend.

I guess I'll try calling the head office guy today and try and see if there is sometime he can meet us out there as the kitchen manager, although busy, hasn't been very reliable at returning messages.

It was very frustrating as we only have 1 day a week off together and it's a ways away so will be another week now at least before we get to see it, pick a date etc.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine