How did you know your dress was "The One?"

Online Users: 1,329 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
How did you know your dress was "The One?"
Posted: Dec 29, 2010 5:40 PM

So I'm back, and indecisive as always. I've tried on about 15 dresses in three shops, and while I've narrowed down my favorite one, I'm not sure if I want to be done shopping. I really like the dress and everything, it's under my price range, fits my theme, shows some curves without being too revealing, the whole bit. But I'm not crying hysterically when I have it on, like the girls off of "Say Yes to the Dress." To be perfectly honest, I think it would be nice to have an experience like that so I can KNOW for sure.

What would you do? Commit and buy already or try another shop? Any personal experiences I can learn from out there?
Thanks for taking the time to read this!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: How did you know your dress was "The One?"
Posted: Dec 29, 2010 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

Dear WW,

"But I'm not crying hysterically when I have it on, like the girls off of "Say Yes to the Dress." "

An otherwise smart person like yourself is having second thoughts because she doesn't have the same reaction as reality show participants who are paid to be Drama Queens?

Let's stop and think about that for a while.

How did you react, in the past, to other positive events?

When you decided on the "right" college?
When you got the "right" job?
When you found the "right" apartment?
When you bought the "right" car?

Did you burst into tears? Or, just say "Hey, that's great!" and move on?

AnnaKay12 Posts : 17 Registered: 12/20/10
Posted: Dec 29, 2010 10:22 PM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

My initial thought after reading your post was that you should probably shop around some more. If you try on a few more dresses and still feel that your current pick is "the one," then you know you're good to go! But on the flip side, shopping around could confuse you even more if you find additional dresses to consider.

However, after thinking about it some more, I ended up with this reasoning:
I have yet to go dress shopping, but I doubt that I'll have the hysterical teary-eyed moment when I do find "the dress." It's just not the way I react to things. Maybe you're the same way? You seem to only have positive things to say about the dress; if I were in your shoes I would likely go for it!

Hope this helps!

jarrodandnicci Posts : 4 Registered: 5/22/10
Posted: Dec 30, 2010 1:00 AM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

Dear WW,
I remember when I went shopping for my dress... I tried on a grand total of THREE (yes only three) dresses.
I didn't have any grand reaction or cry at all.
I just knew.

Before you started shopping for dresses, did you have an idea in your head of what you wanted?? If so, does the dress you've narrowed it down to fit that description?
When you put on the dress, how do you feel? Like it looks good on you? or Like that dress was MEANT AND DESIGNED for you and you alone?!

If you have ANY doubts at all about the dress, you should probably keep looking- however if you feel you KNOW that is your dress (if it is just perfect and makes you smile and your stomach flutter--- and if everytime you put it on you just dont want to take it off) then you should stick with it. Once you find THE dress, there's not a point in looking farther. :)

I Hope I'm slightly helpful. Good luck!!!

Nicci

Wedding Tickers

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 2:52 PM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

I didn't get hysterical or cry or anything either! However, I knew my dress was "the one" because it was the dress that I felt and looked like a bride in. All the other dresses I just looked like a girl in a white dress! Don't second guess yourself. If you feel you need to keep looking, then do so. But if that gown is the one for you, you will find yourself right back at that shop with that dress!

Good luck and keep us posted!!

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 7:58 PM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

I felt beautiful in my dress and felt like it fit my personality. I did not cry in it, but that's not really my personality anyway, to cry about a dress. I had more like a calm "Ah--this feels right" moment with mine. In spite of that, I still hunted around a little more, but I came back to that one.

Like a PP said, don't second-guess yourself. If you don't feel like it's "the one," do some more hunting. You may find out it's the one after hunting around a bit more.

preview image

KCI Posts : 150 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 11:39 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

I found my dress last Thursday so I have a very recent experience with this. There was no crying. There was no "OMG this is it".

I went to 2 stores in one day - a smaller boutique and David's Bridal. I went to the first store to try on a specific dress I found online that I LOVED!! I hated it on me. I thought I wanted something pretty but simple, but ended up needing some sparkle. I tried on 7 dresses at the first store, but nothing really even caught my eye. I liked a top and I liked a bottom, but I didn't really like any dress.

Right after leaving the first store I scheduled a DB appointment. The trip to the first store helped me find more of my style, so I went into DB with a better understanding of what I wanted. The first dress I tried on ended up being "the dress". Again, there was no crying or OMG! moment. I just couldn't stop smiling. I loved it on me. My mom, future mom-in-law, and MOH love it on me. We all just really liked it. I tried on 6-7 more dresses after the first one, but nothing made me as happy as the first one. I tried it back on and that was it.

If you found something you love and can picture yourself getting married in, the get it. Don't keep looking, and don't wait for the crying or OMG! moment because it may never happen. You didn't keep looking after you found your FH, right? So why keep looking after you found the right dress. If you are really unsure, then give yourself a break then go back to the dress search. But if it's just because you want to look more, or because you didn't cry - reconsider. GOOD LUCK!!!

My dress: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Satin-Corset-Pick-up-with-Beaded-Lace-Appliques-V9263_Bridal-Gowns-Shop-By-Designer-Davids-Bridal-Collection

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*Met: 9/17/2009 *Started Dating: 11/14/2009 *Engaged: 11/13/2010 *Mr and Mrs: 9/17/2011
Daisypath Wedding tickers

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine