Bridal Showers

Online Users: 1,254 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

smalltownlady Posts : 16 Registered: 8/18/10
Bridal Showers
Posted: Dec 9, 2010 6:45 PM

Ladies,

I could use your advice on Bridal Showers. My fiance and I are 25 and 26, both independent and have been living on our own in our own homes for several years now. We do not need anything.

My understanding is that Bridal Showers were for brides as they set out on their lives to help fill their new homes with things they need.

As a result, I really don't need/want a shower. However, my extended family- specifically my Grandma and a couple great-aunts (whom I'm very close to) want to host a shower.

I'm from a small town, so they want it to be a great big community shower (that's how they always are here). Essentially an ad is put in the local paper and anyone who wants to attend is welcome to show up. For a lot of the older ladies in the community bridal showers are just Saturday afternoon activities.

Is there a polite way to tell my great aunts and grandma not to host one? Or is this something I just accept gracefully and thank everyone who attends?

I've mentioned I don't need a shower, and their response has been "its tradition".

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Bridal Showers
Posted: Dec 9, 2010 7:34 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

Dear STL,

"Is there a polite way to tell my great aunts and grandma not to host one? Or is this something I just accept gracefully and thank everyone who attends?"

Yes, you just say "I really appreciate the offer, but I would rather not have a shower."

Then, for the rest of you life you get to hear about how they enjoyed Cousin Emma's daughter's shower and how sad they are that they did not get to host one for you.

So. Do you want to hear that the rest of your life?

Sometimes you've just gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run.

Based on what you said, I'd just go through with it. I don't fancy seeing a sad look on Grandma's face everytime one of her friends' granddaughters gets married.

Here's an idea. Make your shower a theme like "Recipes" and ask people to bring their "secret" recipes, along with some utinsel to make the recipe. That way you get a nice assortment of relatively inexpensive kitchen tools and some great recipes, without adding tons of clutter to your home. (Some time later, you can quietly donate some of the utinsels to a battered women's shelter in the next county.)

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 10, 2010 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

AOTB had a great suggestion about the recipe theme.

And I also agree with her, sometimes it's just easier to go with the flow.

chris42005 Posts : 89 Registered: 4/6/10
Posted: Dec 10, 2010 6:37 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

Or to piggie off AOTB if you don't want the utensils, they could bring a non-perishable item and you could donate it. We did this for a friend and had a blast seeing all the recipes. You could then scrapebook it later and have a wonderful memory to share.

smalltownlady Posts : 16 Registered: 8/18/10
Posted: Dec 13, 2010 3:20 PM Go to message in response to: chris42005

Thank-you all- the recipe shower idea is fantastic!

The one thing you can never have enough of is recipes and it saves prevents a ton of gifts I don't need.

And I really like the idea of having a non-perishable donated.

Thank-you so much!

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 12:47 AM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

Rosa Clara Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-rosa-clara-c-420_451.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine