Small Wedding = How Many People?

Online Users: 1,318 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

BunniBride Posts : 11 Registered: 9/1/08
Small Wedding = How Many People?
Posted: Nov 29, 2010 1:59 PM

My fiance and I are thinking about getting married in spring/summer 2012. We obviously still have time to plan our wedding, but we have talked briefly on some of the major topics.

Of course, the biggest one is the guest list. We agree on basically everything else for our wedding so this seems to be the only problem. We both want a relatively small wedding (we don't have a huge budget) but we seem to be confused as to how many people make up a small wedding.

He said he wanted around 50 people, but I pointed out that 50 is close to my entire family. My family are all VERY, VERY close so there's no way to really cut down on the guest list. I was thinking that 100 people would be good. He's not so sure, but willing to discuss it.

So I'm just wondering if 100 people seems like too many? Or is that still a small wedding?

Thanks for your responses!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Small Wedding = How Many People?
Posted: Nov 29, 2010 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: BunniBride

I would consider 100 people to be more of a mediumish wedding.

But I don't think that it's worth it to get stuck on the word semantics.

If you both want to invite your families and that compromises most of your guest list that will hit more around 100, then you need to figure out a) can you save up enough money in the allotted time or b) who you can cut.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Nov 29, 2010 3:55 PM Go to message in response to: BunniBride

Dear Bunni,

Forget the word "small".

Make a list of the people you want to invite. Count them. Next, look at your budget and figure out the cost per head. Can you do something reasonable for that cost per head?

There's no way to define "small". One person's "small" would be three people. Another's could be three hundred.

Jaymee Posts : 143 Registered: 10/6/10
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 9:43 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

auntofthebride- You posted exactly what I was going to say.

Lose the word "small." Work with your budget and see how many people you can actually afford to invite.

And I'm having a small wedding too. We're inviting 50 people. :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

BunniBride Posts : 11 Registered: 9/1/08
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 11:26 PM Go to message in response to: BunniBride

Thanks for your advice, everyone!

The reason we want a "small" wedding is both because we would rather have it be intimate instead of full of strangers and because we're going to have a small budget. The venue for the reception isn't a problem - my father works at a hotel so he says he should be able to get a discount of some sort.

My fiance and I decided to write out guest lists separately and then look at them together. Mine totaled around 42 and his was around 37. Remember, these are rough guest lists and we may lose/add some people. I talked to him a bit today and he said that as long as we're under 100 people, it shouldn't be too bad. I would like to stay around 80 tops.

As others have said, the big problem is about our budget and how many people we can afford. As I've said, we can get a discount on the reception and several members of our families have offered to get together to do a lot of the stuff themselves (like flowers, videos, etc) so hopefully 80ish people will be in our price range. We have yet to determine a concrete budget, but we plan to do that in the following month.

Once again, thanks for your advice!

Freyja7811 Posts : 1 Registered: 12/1/10
Posted: Dec 1, 2010 3:03 AM Go to message in response to: BunniBride

Hi
Just invite the ones you want to invite. The number is not so important.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 12:51 AM Go to message in response to: BunniBride

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine