Videographer: yes or no?

Online Users: 1,358 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

KCI Posts : 150 Registered: 3/30/09
Videographer: yes or no?
Posted: Nov 22, 2010 12:05 AM

Just wondering:

Did you have a videographer?

If yes, did you think it was worth it in the end?

If no, do you ever wish you had?

I had just planned on asking someone to videotape the ceremony, but after seeing my cousin's DVD the other day I'm starting to think I want the whole thing. Just looking for others' opinions. Thanks!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*Met: 9/17/2009 *Started Dating: 11/14/2009 *Engaged: 11/13/2010 *Mr and Mrs: 9/17/2011
Daisypath Wedding tickers

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Videographer: yes or no?
Posted: Nov 22, 2010 3:10 AM Go to message in response to: KCI

Dear KCL,

I got married the year after the Betamax was invented. Thus, no, I did not have any videography and no, I have never missed it.

I have videos of my children, but to be honest I rarely look at them. I guess I am too busy with what is going on now and what they are doing now to go back to old soccer games.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Nov 22, 2010 8:31 AM Go to message in response to: KCI

KCL - I have mixed feelings on this.

I did not have a videographer. I do wish I had the ceremony and the toasts from the reception on video. That's it.

I do think that the cost was ridiculous.

So I don't know if that helps. I also like the little 8-10 minute montage videos, but the whole thing on video is overkill.

If you are thinking after seeing her video you'd like to have one, I think you should start pricing one and see if you can work it into your budget.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Nov 22, 2010 11:31 AM Go to message in response to: KCI

I had a videographer. I do think it was worth it.

I don't look at the video that often, maybe once a year, but, in truth, I don't look at our photos that often either, and I ended up paying more for those.

Our video captured the ceremony, the dance, and the toasts. But the best thing is that the videographer pulled our bridal party and some other close friends aside and each gave mini-speeches. I didn't even know that had happened -- we didn't learn until we watched the video, and it's honestly my favorite part.

Personally, I don't think the bells and whistles are worth it; your wedding doesn't have to be a mini-movie. But I think that if you can get some video from your wedding, you should. But it doesn't have to be a videographer. At the last few weddings I've been to, I've taken video using my iPod touch, and my husband often does it with his phone. I just like doing it, and I usually burn it onto a DVD and send it to the couple. So if I were you and I didn't want to spend the money on someone, I'd encourage a few friends or family members to take some video. It won't be perfect, but I think you'll appreciate having it.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Nov 22, 2010 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

So if I were you and I didn't want to spend the money on someone, I'd encourage a few friends or family members to take some video. It won't be perfect, but I think you'll appreciate having it.

My only caveat with this is that we tried this and supposedly my inlaws have a video of our ceremony but someone kept getting in front of the camera and we haven't seen it yet - so I'm not holding my breath. Also we had a person lined up to tape and his wife went into labor that day - so I would have plenty of backups BUT also allow any friends to say no.

PS Also there are tons of people looking for work, so I'd hit up Craigs List.... Seriously.

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Nov 22, 2010 11:42 AM Go to message in response to: KCI

KCI,

If you can afford it and think that later you might regret not having, I’d say get it. That was basically our decision-making process. We were totally on the fence about it and didn’t decide to get one until about 3mths before the wedding after we’d taken care of our “must haves” and realized we could afford to indulge in this expense.

After the wedding we saw the footage that a family member had shot, and while before the wedding DH had been skeptical about the value of a videographer, seeing that video totally convinced him. It was in a word, awful. And if we had been relying on that as our only video record of the day, I would’ve been very disappointed.

In our package we got footage all of the traditional items (ceremony + reception) but we also had the videographers around for the getting ready, travel to the ceremony, hanging out with us during pictures, and other more candid moment. We also got a 6min highlight video of all the segments of the day, plus 5 vignettes (3-5 min snippets of the most important parts of our day, chosen by us). So while I doubt we’ll watch the full length video very often, I will gladly watch the trailer and the vignettes over the years.

In the end, it’s something that will last us a lifetime, as opposed to the linens (which I splurged about the same amount of $$ on), or the flowers, which were totally temporary. So, while I don’t think it’s necessary the same way good food is necessay, I don’t regret getting a video =)

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Nov 22, 2010 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: KCI

I didnt have one. To me there were WAY more cons than pros. It was $1900 extra to have one, I dont like my voice on tape and I would probably never watch it. Do I regret it? Nope. But thats me. I've been to a few weddings where they have one (or 2!) and its like paparazzi with lights and stuff following you aroud. I know not all of them are like that, but it would bother me!

You need to decide if its worth the $ and if you think you will regret not having one in the end.

And we really dont lug out our big album that often, but I like having the professional pictures in frames to look at around the house. That's all I need I think!

a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

mrscreamer2be Posts : 153 Registered: 6/14/09
Posted: Nov 25, 2010 1:01 AM Go to message in response to: KCI

I did and I loved it! To tell you the truth, I didn't feel like I was being videotaped. He did a really good job. I've only been married 8 months and have watched it a few times already!

My husband didn't want to have the extra expense, but finally was convinced. Honestly we went with the cheapest one and got the basic package- ceremony and reception.

Our video was great and like Mrs. D. we had guests pulled aside(while we were taking pics) and interviewed. We didn't know till we saw the video.

If you are able to fit it in your budget, it could be worth it. It just depends if you think you'll regret it later.

BunniBride Posts : 11 Registered: 9/1/08
Posted: Nov 29, 2010 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: KCI

My wedding is not for a while yet, but right now it seems like I won't get one. Of course, I don't have a lot of money to spend on my wedding so paying $1000 to have someone videotape my wedding seems ridiculous to me.

One word of advice, however: if you do decide to have a friend or family member tape your wedding, make sure you have enough tape and batteries to last!

I went to my fiance's cousin's wedding this past summer and they had him tape at the ceremony and the reception. Unfortunately, someone moved the bag with the extra batteries in it right before the toasts started and we couldn't find it in time. So they don't have the toasts on tape. They were understanding, but I'm sure that would still be disappointing.

If you have the money to spare, why not? But if you're on a tight budget (like me!) I don't think it's worth it.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 12:04 AM Go to message in response to: KCI

Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 9:12 PM Go to message in response to: KCI

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45678.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine