inexpensive weddings in new jersey

Online Users: 1,339 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 12

jellister Posts : 9 Registered: 11/7/10
inexpensive weddings in new jersey
Posted: Nov 7, 2010 11:57 AM

As we all know now, an average wedding cost is $28,000 - $32,000. An average reception cost is $125 per person. While planning my wedding, I started to do a lot of research. I've contacted over 100 wedding sites in New Jersey and some in New York. I realize having my wedding during off season, November - April will save me at least $12,000 - $15,000. I decided to have my wedding in the Castle at Skylands Manor.

Everyone told me it was way to expensive (during wedding season, it is $220 per person on a saturday night, includes tax and gratuity, and 150 guest min. with $2200 site fee)If you have it on Friday night, April, it cost $133 per person (includes tax and gratuity) and minimum guest requirement is 100. My wedding is at least $16,500

What Im trying to accomplish is having my wedding under $20,000, an eight to ten thousand dollars less then an average wedding cost. Also, what Im trying to accomplish is having a wedding where u really want to have it, while not looking at the price, without destroying your budget. And have it all.

Do you think I can do it? I will keep you posted. What are some other ways i can save. Im doing a lot of DIY

Edited by: jellister on Nov 7, 2010 12:01 PM

HappyGoLucky Posts : 3 Registered: 10/31/10
Re: inexpensive weddings in new jersey
Posted: Nov 7, 2010 3:15 PM Go to message in response to: jellister

I think you can do it!! Especially if you're doing a lot of DIY, then it's more personable as well! I don't think you need anyone's advise on this forum, from what I've noticed the ones who post most often are either unmarried or would rather correct your grammar and punctuation than actually offering any kind of useful advise! Best of luck to you!!

For my own wedding I made the favors, we live near a beautiful strawberry ranch so I have made home made jam for each guest, we put cute little labels on each jar and jazzed them up a bit with fabric and a ribbon tied around the lid. The cost per each guest favor was around $1.50 and it's something people will use, and is again very personable! Martha Stewart Weddings website has a ton of great ideas for decorations as well!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Nov 7, 2010 5:49 PM Go to message in response to: jellister

Ladies,

Remember that if the AVERAGE wedding costs come in around $25k, there are plenty of weddings that cost a lot more and plenty that cost a lot less.

It is very possible to have a lovely wedding for much less than $25k. You need to limit your guest list, simplify your menu and be creative with decorations.

For example, have the reception mid-afternoon when you don't have to serve a full meal. You can have a "dessert reception" or indicate "light refreshments" on your invitation. Plenty of people have nice weddings with just wedding cake, punch, coffee and, perhaps, champagne or sparkling non-alcoholic cider.

The most important thing is to get a firm grasp on your budget and do not allow anyone to talk you into blowing your budget. You plan the nicest event you can, given your financial resources, then hold your head high.

Posted: Nov 7, 2010 6:41 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGoLucky

DIY party favors are a great idea. My wedding is April 2012. I love the place i'm having my wedding (Skylands Manor), but sometimes I still research for another place. I research to find other reception deals. I'm really trying to do everything I want under 20k. Can anyone suggest other places that has all the following criteria:

1) holds only one wedding at a time
2) inexpensive (will not pay more than $135 per person, includes tax and gratuity)
3) hotel accomendation near the premises or on the premises
4) minimum guest requirement is 100
5) must serve family style banquet. We did not want the traditional buffet and sit down dinner
6) ceremony must be held on premises
7) a place where we can take pictures outside without driving to a destination

Does anyone one know other reception places in New jersey exist besides the castle at Skylands Manor

TracyEsq Posts : 15 Registered: 8/27/10
Posted: Nov 10, 2010 11:34 AM Go to message in response to: jellister

The Castle at Skylands was one of the venues on my list for my wedding. I thought it was absolutely beautiful in the pictures. Unfortunately, we saw so many other places, and Skylands was just a little farther away than we were comfortable with. It sounds like you are getting a great deal and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful day. Stop second guessing! :o)

We did visit The Villa at Mountain Lakes which is owned by the same company.

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 11:43 AM Go to message in response to: TracyEsq

where are you having your wedding? hows the villa? did anyone looked into Palace at somerset park?

TracyEsq Posts : 15 Registered: 8/27/10
Posted: Nov 11, 2010 12:06 PM Go to message in response to: jellister

My wedding is going to be at the Meadow Wood Manor in Randolph, NJ.

The Villa was nice, though they can do multiple events at one time. They stagger them, but there would be more than one event going on. The bridal suite was ok, but there was no bathroom in it. Brides would need to trek all the way across the place to use the facilities. Outdoor space left much to be desired as far as ceremony location. Lots of space for cocktail hour though and the ballrooms were nice. The larger was much nicer. They were very reasonable in price and capacity, even on a Saturday night. Lots of food choices.

I don't know anything about the Palace in Somerset, except that it's where I took the New Jersey bar exam in 2007. Haha. It's lovely from the outside. Can't say much about the rest.

Posted: Nov 11, 2010 12:38 PM Go to message in response to: TracyEsq

how much is it in meadowwoods manor? does anyone know anything about addison park? they would not give me the price information over the phone.

ginarook Posts : 15 Registered: 11/30/10
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 8:41 PM Go to message in response to: jellister

How much is the catering? I just heard you can have a friend officiate your wedding. That would be one last mouth to feed!

pamelaliebwitz Posts : 8 Registered: 11/30/10
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 8:58 PM Go to message in response to: jellister

Addison Park is expensive.

Posted: Dec 1, 2010 8:13 PM Go to message in response to: pamelaliebwitz

How expensive... And would anyone know how much is estate at florentine gardens on a friday night?

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 2, 2010 4:22 PM Go to message in response to: jellister

There's a thread on venues in New Jersey - There's tons of info on it -

http://www.brides.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=27045&start=0&tstart=0

it's hard to find people who are searching the same venues who have up to date costs on here.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: jellister

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine