Non-profit or Charity run venues

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

MrsFalcon Posts : 5 Registered: 10/6/10
Non-profit or Charity run venues
Posted: Oct 13, 2010 9:38 AM

We are scoping out venues and thought it might be nice to host our event somewhere that would donate the proceeds to a cause we support. We're already finding that our budget doesn't go very far in NYC so we've embraced that this will be a somewhat offbeat wedding.

So far I've got this list:

Parks & Historical buildings- mostly out of our range but we need to look further afield

Churches- Church Halls are nice but if possible we'd like something more directed. We live in a pretty well off parish

Other non-profits- We put in a query with Housing Works and Common Ground but would love to find out more about stuff like this

Community theaters or art spaces- Don't know any of these but are sure they exist

Schools- I was thinking maybe a struggling Catholic school would be a better way to give our money to the church (the Catholic schools in our area provide very generous scholarships to lots of kids)

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Re: Non-profit or Charity run venues
Posted: Oct 13, 2010 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: MrsFalcon

I'm not sure that you'll find too many places that will donate to a cause that YOU support. If you rent a facility, your money probably will go to support the facility and whatever cause is related to that facility. SOOO, renting a place like a church, museum, library, etc. will mean that you are helping that organization to stay in business. For example, I am a museum docent, and the museum is the setting for many private events. The profits go to support the museum, which is a worthy cause.

If you wish to donate money to a cause, I suggest that you do it directly. If you wish, be frugal with your wedding, so you can have more money to donate.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

MrsFalcon Posts : 5 Registered: 10/6/10
Posted: Oct 13, 2010 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: myras

That's part of what we were looking for-- not specifically a cause we support but something that goes a step further in supporting a valuable public resource. The recession has hit a lot of museums and libraries hard, which makes us even more inclined to do something like this.

Do you have any particular suggestions of how we can search these venues out?

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Oct 13, 2010 9:54 PM Go to message in response to: MrsFalcon

"Do you have any particular suggestions of how we can search these venues out?"

Not particularly in NYC, since I live in So. Cal. Here, we have a publication (online, too) called "Here Comes the Guide",which lists many wedding venues by area. I have doen searches on the internet, simply by naming a city or county and "Wedding Receptions," or some similar wording. Often, the websites of caterers, florists, planners, and others in the business list venues with which they are connected. Or, you could name a city or town and a type of facility (e.g. "libraries, Yonkers", or "museums, Brooklyn") and see what pops up. Word of mouth always is good, as is putting out the word to everyone you encounter (e.g. I found a great party venue through a shopkeeper that I patronize, just because she had held her daughter's wedding there--it was a small museum, by the way). So, chat up everyone and see what you find.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine