Must have photos

Online Users: 1,237 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 4

Mrs_Orto Posts : 14 Registered: 7/19/10
Must have photos
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 3:25 PM

Hello all! So, I'm looking for some ideas for pictures. The photos are one of the most important things to me from the wedding. We're not hiring a videographer so the pictures will be the only thing we really have to look back on and remember the day and everything. And I'm also a huge fan of photography (I pretty much document my whole life in pictures, lol). The photography is so important to me, in fact, that we're spending almost as much on the photographer as we are on the reception, lol. Anyways, I'm basically just looking for some fun ideas of things to make sure the photographer captures. We're getting married on December 4th in Ohio so outdoor pictures will probably be a little difficult because it will be pretty cold. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated and if you have any unique suggestions, that's fantastic as well! Thank you all so much for your help!

Mrs. Orto
wedding websites

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Re: Must have photos
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: Mrs_Orto

Hello,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. There are hundreds of photo lists out there to guide you. However, a professional wedding photographer should already know what to take photos of at your wedding. Personally my basic rule is, if they were invited, take their photo and if the couple paid money for it, take the photo and it is was there, take the photo. Now what your photographer will not know is what formal groups you desire. You're going to need to sit down with your FH and your guest list to decide what photos you desire. Another thing to consider is not all photographers automatically take table shots. Even when those are requested, sometimes it is simply not possible to photograph all of the tables. You're going to have to decide what tables are more important than others.

Hopefully, you've already discussed what you'd like to have photographed with your photographer and made sure their style lends itself to what you want covered on your wedding day. This is one of the reasons why it is so important to see how a photographer approaches a wedding day and viewing a complete wedding.

In the end, please remember your wedding day may not go according to plan. When that happens, it becomes more difficult for your photographer to obtain all the photos you desire. That's why you should be talking to you photographer before the wedding to make sure your schedule is realistic and allows them to capture all the photos you want.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 12:53 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

As usual, Howard's response is very comprehensive. As a recent newlywed, I only have a few things to add from my personal experience:

1) Definitely make a comprehensive list of formal shots (the various family groupings etc), including different shots with the wedding party.

In an attempt not to step on my photographer's toes, I didn't make such a list and found myself thinking afterwards "oh it would've been great to have a shot of me and each bridesmaid individually", "oh it would've been great to have a shot of..." etc etc I thought the list in my head would be enough, but of course in the excitement of the day I forgot some. My photographer is really good and we did lots of formal shots, but had I taken the time to write down a list there would've been others I would have asked to do.

2) At the reception have your photographer follow you while you do your rounds and take formal pictures with groups of guests.

I'm hoping there are lots of candid shots of me and my guests, but I know for sure that there aren't posed shots with me and lots of people, including many of my friends. And that is my single biggest disappointment for my wedding day, hands down. Having the photographer follow you around will serve two purposes: a) you'll be sure to get pictures with everyone; b) it'll keep the rounds short as you can have him/her say "we should move on to the next table for pictures" or something to that effect.

3) Make a schedule, stick to it as best as you can, but don't stress about it

I had a schedule, and really stuck to it. But I realized afterwards that even though we were a little behind, I could've taken a bit more time at the church to take pictures with guest after the ceremony and before we left for formal shots. There were definitely some shots taken, but in my concern for the all-important schedule I didn't take as much time for that as I should've. And in the end, had we taken more time for pictures with our guests and been a bit late for dinner, that would've been preferable to have no pictures with some of our friends and family.

That's my two cents. Good luck with the wedding planning!

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 4:18 PM Go to message in response to: Agape14

"oh it would've been great to have a shot of me and each bridesmaid individually",

This is a perfect example of making sure what you want meshes with your photographer's style. I automatically include Bride with each bridesmaid and each lady individually. I do the same for the guys. As you discovered some photographers don't take those photos. But if you look through a wedding before you book the photographer you can see if they will give you the photos you desire.

At the reception have your photographer follow you while you do your rounds and take formal pictures with groups of guests.

Just as every photographer is different, so is every bride. Some brides are thrilled to take photo after photo with anybody who asks. Meanwhile there are others who don't want all those photos. Once again, problems occur when the photographer style doesn't match the client's desires.

And in the end, had we taken more time for pictures with our guests and been a bit late for dinner, that would've been preferable to have no pictures with some of our friends and family.

This all depends on your reception hall. If you miss your dinner time, your meals will be delayed until the wait staff has served the other rooms their dinners. To save money some venues have a room staff devoted to serving drinks and immediate needs. Meanwhile there is a staff which rotates between all the reception rooms serving each room in turn. Some facilities will not penalize another room because you were late. Your guests will suffer and perhaps even have cold or over cooked meals.

It would be much better to have an idea of the photos you want before setting your times. A conversation with your photographer can assist you with your schedule to make sure you can have both the photos you want and a realistic schedule you can live with.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

turnerphotograp... Posts : 2 Registered: 10/10/10
Posted: Oct 10, 2010 12:22 PM Go to message in response to: Mrs_Orto

Hi there,

Here's one I love - get yourself and your friends in a long line on the brow of a hill so that the photographer is looking up at you, then all jump in the air at once. Great, fun shot and a bit different!

Whatever ideas you have beforehand, make sure your photographer is aware ahead of time. This is usually done during your consultation when you first meet them. However, he / she should be a professional and, although very open to suggestions, should be given credit as a pro that knows what they're doing. Unless you're very savvy with photography at a technical level (most people love photography, that doesn't make them photographers lol) keep your suggestions to the type of shots you'd like, not exactly how you want them photographed. That's their job and why they get paid!

Good luck -

Brett Turner
Link: Wedding Photography at Turner Photographic, England

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine