white over ivory dress because i'm a first-time bride?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

aLynna Posts : 3 Registered: 10/6/10
white over ivory dress because i'm a first-time bride?
Posted: Oct 8, 2010 2:03 AM

does it really matter? i've always wanted an ivory dress for me because i think white would just wash me out. my fiancee's mom freaked out when she heard that i wanted ivory for a dress and for the wedding to be ivory and pale pink. she said i have to wear white coz i've never been married before and that she just wants to avoid gossip. I'm a modern bride and i think those old tales don't apply today. I've seen a lot of brides wearing an ivory dress and they looked absolutely stunning! on top of that she doesn't want ivory on the wedding at all and insists it has to be white ( coz it's a wedding ) and some other color that i want. help!!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: white over ivory dress because i'm a first-time bride?
Posted: Oct 8, 2010 9:13 AM Go to message in response to: aLynna

Dear Lynna,

FMIL is full of beans.

It happens that if you wear a silk dress, it would never be white as silk naturally is off-white. Thus, all those brides in silk are not in pure white.

There are PLENTY of non-virgin brides in the purest of white, even second-timers with their own children as attendants.

Wear the dress you want to wear and tell FMIL to go pound sand.

Posted: Oct 8, 2010 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: aLynna

my fiancee is mexican and i don't kno why everybody in his family freaked out when i said i wanted ivory. does everybody know if it's a mexican tradition? i have other mexican friends and they haven't even heard about this. i am asian and i tried on an ivory dress and it looked beautiful on me and it looked beautiful i tried on white and it was just too pale and boring!

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Oct 8, 2010 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: aLynna

Oh, for Heaven's sake! That "pure" white dress thin is so over! What's next--hanging the bloody sheets out the window after the wedding night?

Seriously, take FMIL to any bridal store to show her dresses. She's far more likely to see shades of ivory (as well as many other colors) than she is "pure" white, because most women find a slight tint far more flattering than a washed-out white.

Bottom line--it's your wedding and your dress. Do what you want (politely and graciously, of course). Thank her for her advice, but don't let her control you. It's better to shut that door now than to allow an interfering MIL to take over your life.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Oct 8, 2010 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: aLynna

thanks ladies for all the support!! im going to keep on fighting for my ivory color no matter what!!! i'll update u guys to see what happens!

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Oct 8, 2010 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: aLynna

I'd pick the dress you wanted, no matter what color it is. If she says anything about the color tell her, "of course it's white!" and look at her like she's crazy :)Honestly, how different is ivory than white anyway?

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 5:53 PM Go to message in response to: aLynna

Big discount. any detail please visite to, http://www.juliebridalshop.com/

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 2:48 PM Go to message in response to: aLynna

Pronovias Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-pronovias-c-420_473.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine