ceremony length

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

wiggysmermaid Posts : 4 Registered: 12/24/08
ceremony length
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 1:02 PM

hi,

i'm not actually engaged yet, to be clear. but, my boyfriend and i are both very serious about our faith and are going to want a religious ceremony. we both love old hymns, and i'd like to sing some at the wedding. i am wondering what people think of the ceremony being on the longer side. i mean, i don't want it to go on forever, i'm just saying, it's probably going to be longer than a short and sweet "i do-kiss-kiss-let's drink" kind of wedding. i guess since most of the guests will also be of the religious bent (or be family and i don't really care what they think, they have to be there anyway), it won't really matter... right? to me, the wedding is the ceremony, not the reception.

MizJodi Posts : 65 Registered: 3/8/07
Re: ceremony length
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 1:07 PM Go to message in response to: wiggysmermaid

If you're really wanting a traditional religious ceremony, I'd highly recommend checking out a hymnal. These often have "scripts" for different events, such as baptisms and weddings. This would be a good starting point to figure out length.

Also, google "traditional religious ceremony."

And last point? I wouldn't put too much thought and effort into it yet, as you're not even engaged :)

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 1:22 PM Go to message in response to: wiggysmermaid

Dear WM,

" i am wondering what people think of the ceremony being on the longer side."

If you attend a liturgical church, then your guests should expect the regular length of the wedding liturgy, plus communion if you so elect.

I am Episcopalian, so I am pretty much used to a wedding ceremony that lasts about an hour, just like a normal church service.

I will make a suggestion. If you are planning to include various hymns, then arrange it so the congregation (ie guests) are singing with you. In some churches, there are hymnals in the pews or lyrics projected on a screen. If you don't have either of these, then print the music and lyrics in your wedding program.

I like to actively participate in the ceremony with congregational singing. I get to stand up (reducing Butt Numbness issues) and sing with everyone else. It sort of breaks up the long ceremony. I find it tiring to witness a long ceremony where there is nothing for me to do except sit passively and listen.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 1:26 PM Go to message in response to: MizJodi

Dear Jodi,

"I'd highly recommend checking out a hymnal. These often have "scripts" for different events, such as baptisms and weddings. "

I think you are referring to something like a missal or the Anglican/Episcopal Book of Common Prayer. Liturgies for all occasions are printed there.

Our hymnal has hymns, only.

MizJodi Posts : 65 Registered: 3/8/07
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Actually, in the Baptist and Lutheran churches I attended growing up, they were one and the same :)

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 9:16 PM Go to message in response to: wiggysmermaid

Lots of traditional weddings are quite long. I know the normal protestant ceremony can vary greatly in length, but I don't think I've ever been to a Catholic wedding that didn't top out at over an hour. My ceremony was around an hour and a half. It didn't feel long though (and guests didn't think so either) because it was so authentically me and my husband (also, most of the people in attendance have been to Catholic weddings before, and knew what to expect!). I would worry less about the length and more about doing what seems right for you and your fiance.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 1:07 AM Go to message in response to: wiggysmermaid

Save up to 28% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $236.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sheath-sweetheart-neckline-strapless-chiffon-wedding-dress-style-marion-p-33799.html

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: wiggysmermaid

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD.
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine