BM moving to another state

Online Users: 1,334 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

FutureMrsM Posts : 8 Registered: 7/27/10
BM moving to another state
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 5:32 PM

I have asked my best friend to of course be one of my bridesmaids, but now she has decided to move 700 miles away to live with her boyfriend, who has moved there for work. Im really happy for her moving out there to be with him, I'm just unsure how this would affect her role in the wedding planning. Its frustrating/upsetting knowing that when it comes time to get sized and look for dresses, that she won't be able to be there. She won't be there for the planning of the shower/bachelorette party. I don't expect her to fly home when I need her there, I'm just wondering if any of you ladies have gone through the same thing. I would never ask her to step down, and I would hope she wouldn't want to. She's my best friend and I want her to be around and involved, I just don't know how to handle this situation from here...help please :)

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Re: BM moving to another state
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 1:48 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsM

I hope Mrs. M has reassured you. I was struck by the whiney tone of your post. You really expect her to put her life on hold because of your wedding? The wedding might be the most important thing in your life, but obviously she has other priorities, as does everyone else. So, get over it.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

FutureMrsM Posts : 8 Registered: 7/27/10
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: myras

Thank you Mrs.M,Thats great advice and I appreciate it. And myra, I did not say i expected her to put her life on hold, I was simply asking for advice(which is what i thought these boards are for) from others who have had a bridesmaid a long distance away from them. Also, I stated in my post that I am happy for her. This is not supposed to have a whiney tone what so ever. But, Thank you for your replies, it does help.

MizJodi Posts : 65 Registered: 3/8/07
Posted: Sep 17, 2010 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsM

I too am dealing with this, so I feel your pain! I live in Denver, my MOH lives on Oahu, another bff/bm lives in Des Moines, my sister lives in Minnesota, and my FSIL lives in Ohio. I'm considering asking my bro to stand with me as well (haven't made a decision on the sisters yet), and HE lives in Virginia Beach!

My parents live in Missouri, df's parents live in Ohio. DF has two gm's that actually live here in the area, other than that, ALL family and WP are far, far away! TG for modern technology!

Another side tip; when my bff moved to Hawaii, we developed our "phone date night (pdn)." Each week, we have one afternoon/evening set aside (Tuesday for us) that is OUR time to just chat, and verbally catch up on the week! It's helped us tremendously to feel connected :)

BlueSix Posts : 9 Registered: 9/18/10
Posted: Sep 18, 2010 4:47 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsM

I hear you as well. Actually my bridesmaids, MOH, family, actually entire guest list for my side live all over the US, but none within any drivable distance to where I live. It is a little harder and takes a bit more coordination, but so far it's been just fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much, use the phone and internet to have your opportunities to rant and rave about all the fun wedding things when you get the chance. You'll start looking forward to checking to see if you have a new email!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine