Will you be wearing a veil?

Online Users: 1,338 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 10

KellyAmiri Posts : 29 Registered: 7/25/10
Will you be wearing a veil?
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 5:40 PM

I am completely up in the air on veils! I love the idea of a long veil with a big flowery lace edging. But then I change my mind to none at all and back again! Ug!

How many of you will or will not wearing a veil?

If so, what kind and where from?

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Re: Will you be wearing a veil?
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 6:44 PM Go to message in response to: KellyAmiri

Have you tried any veils on with your dress? If not, do so. Many women say they feel more like a bride with one on, but just as many opt to not wear one cause it didn't feel necessary, looked goofy, etc.

I was undecided until the day of the wedding. I had my aunt's veil in the car and wanted to wear it for her, but the day of the wedding was rainy and the thought of dragging it through the grass and mud wasn't appealing. The hem of my dress was brown by the end of the night, but my aunt got her veil back unharmed! (Btw, I didn't "miss" the veil and no one commented on it either).

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 7:05 PM Go to message in response to: KellyAmiri

My wife and I both wore veils. Mine was an ivory fingertip Symphony Bridal 3000VL:

Hers was an ivory elbow-length David's Bridal 595:

I am much taller than my wife, so having the veils of different lengths meant that the bottom edge of each of our veils was the same height off the floor.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 7:48 PM Go to message in response to: KellyAmiri

Dear Kelly,

Since you are vacillating, I'll tell you what I did.

When I was planning my wedding, reading wedding etiquette books, etc., I read that the veil is only for the first-time bride, namely a virgin. The point in the ceremony where the groom lifts the veil and kisses the bride symbolizes him removing her clothes and taking her virginity.

Ugh! Yuck! Gross! were the words that went through my mind.

Other people can do what they want, but I would not have been caught dead in a veil.

sassy411 Posts : 52 Registered: 8/16/10
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 8:22 PM Go to message in response to: KellyAmiri

No veil for me. I saw an episode with David Tutera in which the bride wore a beautiful sparkly hairpiece. Went on his site to look at the vendor list, it sold for about $340--to much to invest in a hairpice, IMO.

So I went to ebay & found a similar piece for $60, all Swarovski crystals, which I have come to love, btw. The fire is incredible. It's a beautiful piece & I'm really happy with it.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 29, 2010 8:11 AM Go to message in response to: KellyAmiri

You can wear a veil and have it NOT go over your face.

Personally, having the veil over my face did NOT appeal.

I did choose to have a veil - I wore my hair up and actually hooked my veil in the back under my hair. I liked the look of my dress with my veil down the back and I still had a sparkly headpiece I got from WalMart.

My veil was about fingertip length. And it came off for the reception.

That's the other suggestion I'd make, I made sure I could take my veil off for the reception - thank goodness because it kept getting caught by people! LOL

KellyAmiri Posts : 29 Registered: 7/25/10
Posted: Aug 29, 2010 11:01 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I like the idea of having it under my hair in the back. Still there, but a bit more subtle. And, if it's not over my face it won't have that, eh, wonderful historic reference! lol! I'll definitely have do some experimenting!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Aug 29, 2010 3:25 PM Go to message in response to: KellyAmiri

Dear Kelly,

"And, if it's not over my face it won't have that, eh, wonderful historic reference!"

Very true.

Tulle hanging down the bride's back looks nice.

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 12:37 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

We actually intended to have our veils over our faces. NotFroofy's veil was 2-tier and I had a blusher veil added to mine. However, on the day, both of us forgot about that detail.

Then again, since my two grown children were our attendants (not to mention that my ex-husband was one of our guests), I don't think anyone actually believed in my virginity, anyway. ;-)

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

Del3 Posts : 113 Registered: 11/1/06
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 4:24 PM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

I agree with everyone - it's very much your personal choice and what you think looks best with your gown.

I wore a cathedral length veil but it was just tulle so you could see through it to my dress. Btw, if you just want a tulle, non-edged veil you can make it yourself in about 5 minutes for only about $5 worth of tulle.

I did not wear anything over my face, it just went down my back. I wanted that length to walk down the aisle, and then I took it off for the reception so I could show off my hair and dance more easily without the veil getting caught on anything. That way too, I got pictures of myself both with a veil and without.

JoeandSherita Posts : 4 Registered: 6/27/10
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 9:00 PM Go to message in response to: KellyAmiri

I think wearing a veil really depends on the dress. For the dress that I would like to wear (but haven't bought yet), I don't think I'm wearing a veil. It's so lacy and pretty, that I think a veil will take away from the dress.

Wedding Tickers

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine