Photography and dark flowers

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Photography and dark flowers
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 12:44 PM

I'm just about to order the flowers for my bouquets and someone mentioned to me that dark flowers sometimes don't photograph well, and that it can sometimes look like there are holes/spaces in the bouquet where the darker flowers are. Does anyone know if there any truth to that? I was planning to have mango and purple callas, with matching roses.

Thanks!

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Re: Photography and dark flowers
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 6:48 PM Go to message in response to: Agape14

It will be fine. Really. Every photo the flowers are in will be great, regardless of the flower color.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 3:30 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

The big issue with dark flowers is what they will be seen against and the skill of your photographer. This all relates to what you is called the latitude (contrast ratio for TVs, monitors). Too much latitude and the camera (even film) will not be able to capture the details in both the light and the dark areas at the same time. This is where the skill of your photographer comes into play. Can they properly light the flowers to make sure they don't appear too dark and hence a black hole. BTW, this is also a reason why some people appear to have raccoon eyes in their photos too. In the end, I think you should be fine, unless you are using black roses. ;-)

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Carlyque Posts : 4 Registered: 12/16/09
Posted: Sep 4, 2010 10:24 PM Go to message in response to: Agape14

My florist suggested that at least for the bridal bouquet white or light colors are preferred, because in a photo your eyes will be drawn to the bouquet if it's either dark or very brightly colored. For the bride at least, you might not want the eye to be drawn away from you and your dress.

~Carlyque

Now join hands, and with your hands your hearts.
 -William Shakespeare

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Sep 5, 2010 12:38 AM Go to message in response to: Carlyque

Your florist is partially correct. Eyes are drawn to contrast in relation to the size of the item. Dark flowers against a white wedding dress will be noticeable if the bouquet is large and the bride is petite. However, my bride today, was tall and heavy boned. She was able to pull off colorful flowers without any problems. In a full length photo of her, the flowers were not overwhelming. In addition, the contrast also relates to the bridesmaids' dresses. If they are a dark color and you have light flowers then the flowers will draw the viewers eyes to them and vice versa.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Sep 7, 2010 9:55 AM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Thanks for the advice Howard! I couldn't guess what the issue would be but that makes perfect sense.

I has also asked my photographer and she said that it wouldn't be a problem. And in fact she liked when brides had colourful bouquets because the regular pastels could get a bit boring.

In the end though I decided to do the mango callas and complimentary roses, and skip the purple callas. There's no purple anywhere else in the wedding, so I'm satisfying my need for colour with the orange, and softening it up with the peaches and champagne coloured roses. Should be interesting...

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

turnerphotograp... Posts : 2 Registered: 10/10/10
Posted: Oct 10, 2010 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: Agape14

I know the original poster has made a decision, however for anyone else thinking this could be a problem...

...in my opinion how the flowers blend on the day is exactly how they will be in your photographs. If your bouquet matches your colouring and dress, then that's all you need to worry about.

The florists' tale of flowers looking like black holes don't point to poor colour selection, they point to poor photography! :-)

Brett Turner
Wedding Photographer Sussex, England

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: Agape14

A-line Gold Strapless Sweetheart Layered Sequin Short Prom Dress
Save up to 48% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $88.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-gold-strapless-sweetheart-layered-sequin-short-prom-dress-p-32369.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine