Costs for an Italian Wedding?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

Jetur20 Posts : 3 Registered: 8/13/10
Costs for an Italian Wedding?
Posted: Aug 13, 2010 4:08 PM

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had an idea about wedding costs (the more detailed the better) in Italy. We're thinking about either Bologna or Maratea in October 2011.

This isn't a standard destination wedding in that my almost-fiance's background is Italian, so he has a lot of family there and so we're sorta going for a full-sized wedding but in another country. We'll probably have around 125 guests and a budget of 50,000 USD. He is going to contact family for information, but I wanted to get an American perspective.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Costs for an Italian Wedding?
Posted: Aug 13, 2010 6:46 PM Go to message in response to: Jetur20

Dear Jetur,

I can't be of specific help, but I'll just tell you that, in my opinion, everything costs more in Europe than it does in the US.

Why? They add VAT (Value Added Tax) to most purchases, which is like a sales tax, but stiffer. In general, Europeans pay less in income tax but more in sales tax than do Americans. Thus, visitors end up paying more, bottom line, for things since VAT is always included. Last I checked, VAT in Italy is about 20% or so.

In other words, when you think of what $50k will get you in the US, figure on spending $60k for the same thing in Europe. I hate to be a wet blanket, but that has been my personal observation after years of travel in Europe. Everything is more expensive There than it is Here.

Next suggestion: Be sure to get all your paperwork well in advance. Countries such as Italy usually require all kinds of stuff: apostilled birth certificates with certified translation, etc. You can't just walk in and get a marriage license based on your own sweet smile as you can here. Do your research ahead of time and find out exactly what you will need and make plans, now, to start getting it together.

There have been a few messages on this board, recently, from young ladies in a panic because their planned Mexican weddings were in jeopardy due to lack of official paper work.

You have probably already thought of that, but I figured I'd mention it.

Italyprestige Posts : 1 Registered: 11/18/07
Posted: Nov 5, 2010 9:43 AM Go to message in response to: Jetur20

Hi Jetur,

well some practical response due I'm a Wedding Planner in Here.

Consider 50K $ is about at the moment 35.000 €

In Italy if you do not do some very expencive in Tuscany and Umbria (very well know wedding location) in average you can spend about 90/100 € per person for the meal.
so is about 12.500 €

About Flowers if you want a good decor consider Bride Buoquet, some bridesmaid bouquet, buttonholes, centerpiese and some decoration in the church consioder about 1.000/1.200 €

A good photographers costs about 1.500/1700 € (try to book the photographer by websites there are websites as wpja and other where you can find them)

Hairdresser - about 250/300 €

Music - a string quartet could cost about 150/200 e per person for trhe celebration. If you ask to join for the cocktail too you will have a good discount.

Party music - You can have a dj - about 400 € - Renting Loudspeaker - 250 € - live band - from 1.200/1300 €

Church - usually is at donation but ask at the priest

Accommodation - it depend of hotel you choose but in average with 130/150 e per night per room you have a good room.

this is more or less a guideline for your wedding
TOTAL COST - about 16.000/20.000 €

Consider VAT is alreadi included in the price for accommodation and for the menω is the venue is a restauran is usually included in the price.

Also if the venue is a restaurant usually they do not ask a hiring fee.

Thank you
Hope it help a bit
Fabrizio Mengasini
italyprestige

romabride Posts : 3 Registered: 3/5/12
Posted: Mar 5, 2012 6:20 AM Go to message in response to: Italyprestige

Hi,

I got married in Rome, Italy and found a great hairdresser from one forum. Have to say that she was more than just a hairdresser and makeup artist :))) I got from her all other contacts and after 3 months everything was organized, so so easy!
Her email is helova@msn.com
Happy planning!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine