I need wedding ideas!

Online Users: 1,299 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 5

AndreaCTWI Posts : 5 Registered: 4/27/10
I need wedding ideas!
Posted: Aug 3, 2010 3:55 PM

hey ladies!

I was thinking, does anyone one have some cool ideas for a theme wedding that could be something like wish upon a star?
I have cool ideas for a guest book, invitations and stationery.
I do not want any favors, I'll be asking for donations for a charity instead.
The main colors are blue and silver, any ideas for decorations or centerpieces?
Any help is appreciated!

Andrea

Marryingmytruel... Posts : 135 Registered: 2/11/10
Re: I need wedding ideas!
Posted: Aug 4, 2010 10:37 AM Go to message in response to: AndreaCTWI

Here's a few articles I found when I googled your colors and wedding theme:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100524102358AAuitRQ

http://www.creative-theme-wedding-ideas.com/star-theme-wedding.html

http://www.dotcomwomen.com/home/wedding/starry-night.shtml

http://ezinearticles.com/?A-Starry-Night-Theme-Wedding&id=2945974

You could get blue tablecloths and then sprinkle the tables with confetti, star confetti or diamond confetti. For centerpieces you could get glass votive holders in the shape of a star and put a silver candle inside. You could also just get a plain glass hurricane vase and put a silver candle in it and put some blue glass beads/gems in the bottom. You could also get some metallic star garland and wind it around the base of your vase.

You could cut out some stars from pretty metallic cardstock and hang them from the ceiling where you're having your reception. You could also lay a few stars on each table. You could also put up some white twinkle lights and hang the paper stars around the twinkle lights.

For centerpieces you could also get a bowl and buy some star shaped floating candles and then add some blue glass beads to the bottom of the bowl or dye the water blue.

Hope that helps!

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Aug 4, 2010 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: AndreaCTWI

Favors are something you give to your guests, not something you ask of them. I wouldn't suggest asking for charity donations at your wedding.

As for your theme, I'd use twinkle lights. I can't think of anything else right now.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Aug 4, 2010 4:36 PM Go to message in response to: AndreaCTWI

Dear Andrea,

If you want to give favors, give favors.

If you want to donate to a charity, donate to a charity.

Don't mix the two. "I'm giving you a gift. No, I changed my mind and, instead, will give the gift to others who deserve it more than you."

A good compromise is to find out if the charity sells things that promotes awareness, such as the pink rubber bracelets for breast cancer research. Then, buy a bunch of those items (therefore giving a good chunk of change to the charity) and give the items as favors to your guests. The charity gets money and your guests go home with a nice, meaningful, gift to give to the kids at home.

AndreaCTWI Posts : 5 Registered: 4/27/10
Posted: Aug 4, 2010 9:50 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

wow!! thenk you so much for the cool thoughts!
I totally messed up saying instead of favors ( I meant gifts) I want guests to donate to charity...
Thank you all for your ideas!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Aug 5, 2010 12:39 AM Go to message in response to: AndreaCTWI

Dear Andrea,

"I totally messed up saying instead of favors ( I meant gifts) I want guests to donate to charity..."

Same difference. You are telling someone else what to do with their money. If they want to donate to charity, they can donate to charity without your prompting them.

I know you mean well, truly I do, but it really rubs me the wrong way if someone says, essentially, "I don't want nor need the crap you might buy for me, so just take the money I am entitled to and give it to some charity I designate."

What you CAN do is just not register anywhere. If anyone asks "Where are you registered?", just say "No where."

If they press the issue, just say "We like surprises." Period. End of story.

You are likely to get a lot of cash gifts that way. Once the cash is in your hands, it's yours to do as you like. Give it to whatever charity you prefer.

Thank you notes should be sufficiently vague:

Thank you for your generous check. We are putting it towards our (ie the planet's) future. We enjoyed seeing you at the wedding and look forward to seeing you, again, soon.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine