Does the bride usually pay for her bridal parties hair and make-up?

Online Users: 1,312 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

Kate2012 Posts : 30 Registered: 1/25/10
Does the bride usually pay for her bridal parties hair and make-up?
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 9:09 PM

I am just trying to get together a budget and I don't know if I am supposed to pay for their hair and make-up. Thanks!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Does the bride usually pay for her bridal parties hair and make-up?
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

Dear Kate,

Generally speaking, the bride pays for hair and makeup (plus mani-pedis) if the bride requires the ladies to get their hair and makeup done a particular way by a particular stylist.

If all you are saying is "Show up and look nice", then they pay for their own, or do it themselves.

There are exceptions, certainly, but this is a general rule.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 8:12 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

AOTB is absolutely right!

I told my gals to show up in a nice black dress and look nice. Gave them control of their shoes, dress, hair, and make up. One came with me to my appointment and had her hair done. The other two did it themselves. But it was entirely done by choice.

Misty

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 9:53 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I agree entirely with AOTB and Cat.

I paid for my girls to get their hair done - I offered it to them and they took me up on it.

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

Same here, if you insist upon something you should pay for it. But otherwise, it's expected that the bridal party will pay for anything they choose to do themselves.

I'm getting my makeup done professionally and I informed the bridesmaids of the cost should they wish to use the same service. But I left it up to them and some are paying for it and some are doing it themselves.

Same for hair, I gave general guidelines (elegant to go with the formality of the dress) but nothing specific like updo or down or curls or whatever. So again, some are getting a friend to do it and others are going to a salon.

But I am paying for a hotel room the night before since I'd like them to be there with me (although some are choosing not to do that...that's a vent for another day...)

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

hljanes Posts : 57 Registered: 12/31/09
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

I'm a ways out from this yet but what I'm going to do is send an email to the girls and say something like, "I'm booking X for hair and Y for makeup. It will be $x for hair and $y for makeup. Please let me know if you plan to come along for one or both."

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 5:53 PM Go to message in response to: hljanes

Dear HL,

You might want to add something to make clear your hair stylist and makeup pro is an optional thing. Just so one misunderstands, then comes around saying "And then she DEMANDED we pay $x for a stylist.".

Why ask for trouble?

Just my suggestion.

Marryingmytruel... Posts : 135 Registered: 2/11/10
Posted: Jul 29, 2010 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

My cousin invited all the girls to the salon with her and everyone got their hair done whatever way they wanted and my cousin paid half the fee. She paid for all the girls to get a manicure the day before and we all did our own make-up at the hotel.

She wanted all of us to have a light pink manicure, so she paid for it.

We could do whatever we wanted with our hair and she invited us to the salon that she was using to join her and she offered to pay half of the cost. You didn't have to come but we all took her up on the offer. She had ten girls in her bridal party so I thought that it was really generous of her to pay half.

We all did our own make-up and honestly that's what I would have wanted to do anyway. I've never been really happy with the way I look when someone else did my make-up.

I am a long way from having to figure all of this out for myself but I plan to follow a simple rule: I want a say then I pay.

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Aug 2, 2010 3:17 AM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

At our wedding, we only had one female attendant, our maid of honor. I wrote her and said, "NotFroofy and I are having our hair and make-up done at the synagogue before the wedding. Would you like us to make you an appointment as well, or would you prefer to do your own?" I figured that if she showed any interest, I could give her exact pricing (and it was only $50 pp). However, since she said she could handle it herself, we just let her do that.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine