What NOT to do.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

jojolina Posts : 897 Registered: 2/28/07
What NOT to do.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 2:16 AM

One of my facebook friends had a link to a friend's wedding website on her page. Loving weddings, I decided to check it out. WOW. I was offended and i don't even know this bride and groom. There are some things that aren't even just about etiquette, it's about being considerate of your guests. From looking at the website, these are some of the things that i felt were most egregious.

1. DON'T talk about how wealthy your families are by saying things like "her parents live in a gorgeous home in (city here)." "He resides in a fabulous estate overlooking the golf course."

2. DON'T make the introduction of your bridal party sound like a Curriculum Vitae/Resume. Wedding guests don't need to know that the groomsman is the top gynocologist within the Southern States, nor do they need to know your maid of honor graduated from Ivy League schools. <<<>>>

3. DON'T have your ceremony from 3-4pm and then tell your guests to freshen up and get their own dinner and WAIT 4 more hours to come to your reception at 8pm where there will only be a no host bar and dancing.

4. DON'T have a honeymoon registry that is linking into the groom's business for payment. Also, tacky to provide your home address in case guests want to just "send the checks" to you.

5. This isn't offensive, to me, but i do think it is slightly tacky.....invitations sent by email.

From the looks of the pictures and some of the planning and talk about how wealthy and accomplished everyone is, it really surprised me that this bride and groom chose to put all money for the wedding into things that would only benefit them. Wow....what about your guests?

www.mywedding.com/lorrieandchris

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Re: What NOT to do.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 2:27 AM Go to message in response to: jojolina

Wow! Our priorities were pretty much the reverse of that. We did without engagement rings or a honeymoon, but paid for an open bar and a house where all our ceremony guests could stay. We didn't say anything on our site about either of us; if people were invited to the wedding, we figured they knew who we were. The description of our wedding party members included only basic information like, "2dBride's son." Even though our wedding was at noon, we chose to select the menu for the luncheon following it from the dinner men, as the food was better on that than on the lunch menu. Our registry included only household items, and the description of it started with, "The best present you can give us is your presence. Those who have helped out with our wedding should definitely consider their services to be their wedding present to us. At the same time, we’ve had enough requests for registry information that we have set some up. Please feel free to disregard if these aren’t the droids you are looking for."

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

jojolina Posts : 897 Registered: 2/28/07
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 2:38 AM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

i saw by your pictures that you also provided them with more comfortable dancing shoes. now that was thoughtful! :)

www.mywedding.com/lorrieandchris

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 3:12 AM Go to message in response to: jojolina

Thanks! Our friends really rallied around us to help us celebrate our marriage, and we wanted to do what we could, within the limits of our budget, to reciprocate.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 12:46 PM Go to message in response to: jojolina

Might I add one from recent experience...

DO NOT write "no boxed gifts please" on your invitations. (translation, "cash only please")

So, so tacky...

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: Agape14

Dear Agape,

"DO NOT write "no boxed gifts please" on your invitations. (translation, "cash only please")"

I still chuckle when I think of Myra's suggestion to give the couple a BAG of greasy fried chicken. At least it's not in a box!

You are right, that is greedy. I am PA enough to just not give anything, except a card with a note that say "You said you did not want gifts, so here's our best congratulations in a card."

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine