Groom's Cake

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Groom's Cake
Posted: Jun 27, 2010 11:13 PM

I haven't seen much on these boards about Grooms Cakes. What is everyones thoughts on them? If I do one, which I haven't decided for sure yet if I am, I want it to be a surprise. And I want it to be at the rehearsal dinner. But like I said, I'm just not sure yet.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: Groom's Cake
Posted: Jun 27, 2010 11:49 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

We had a groom's "cake"...well, it was more a Nutter Butter Pirate Ship.

Typically, the groom's cake is done at the wedding, but I do like your idea of it being at the rehearsal.

Sometimes they are a surprise, and sometimes they are chosen by the groom. It all depends on the couple.

My thought? I don't like them being a surprise....but I also think they need another name. There is the WEDDING CAKE (which is for the couple). But when there is a groom cake, the wedding cake is called the bride's cake. .I just don't get why there needs to be cakes for each. There are reasons of course...it's a southern tradition for this, and since traditionally the bride's cake is white, the groom's is chocolate.

Misty

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 4:36 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Dear AGD

In the past, the bride's cake was white, light and fluffy. The groom's cake was more like a fruitcake, solid and substantial.

(Yes, yet another tradition from our culture's sexist past.)

What people did was serve the bride's cake at the wedding, then slice up the groom's cake to be taken home. They usually had pretty boxes available for just that reason. I used to see this a lot, before favors became popular. Fruitcake usually doesn't need to be refrigerated and doesn't fall apart easily, so it was ideal for boxing and transporting.

A person who could not attend the wedding, thus, would get a piece of groom's cake. An unmarried girl would put the wedding cake under her pillow, then dream about her future husband.

OK, what about today?

Today, the groom's cake is just an alternative flavor to the other cake. If you have a white bride's cake, you might have a chocolate groom's cake. The groom's cake may be decorated according to the groom's hobbies or interests.

Personally, I think it's nice to have a groom's cake, if that is within one's budget.

dodgercpkl Posts : 130 Registered: 9/27/09
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Having a groom's cake just isn't in the budget for us.... but our wedding cake is going to be a geeky thing that is truely us, so even if we could afford it, we'd like the cake that symbolizes us as a couple rather then seperating it out. lol That's how we think at least. :P

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 7:14 PM Go to message in response to: dodgercpkl

My reasoning behind wanting to do the groom's cake for Eric is that so much of this wedding has been centered around me. Not on purpose, and I certainly don't welcome it. But he keeps saying, "honey, it's up to you" unless he really has an opinion. He has pretty much let me have whatever I want. So I wanted to give him something back, that would be all about him and his personality.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

dodgercpkl Posts : 130 Registered: 9/27/09
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 7:20 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

I'd say go for it then. Anton's been pretty involved in the planning for our wedding and that included us coming up with our unusual wedding cake design.

If you have the budget to get it, based on what you are saying, I think it would be a great idea! :)

Posted: Jun 28, 2010 7:51 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Dear Amanda,

"So I wanted to give him something back, that would be all about him and his personality."

Go for it.

Wedding cakes is one area where you can go all out. There are fantastic wedding cakes out there. Talk with your baker about making him a really great groom's cake as a surprise.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jun 29, 2010 8:32 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

We had the wedding cake and then we had a cake that was a carrot cake that probably cost about $20 - DH wanted carrot cake, so it sort of became the groom's cake and I had them decorate it with a monkey. (Inside joke, but that worked.)

So it didn't bust the budget but he managed to still have his carrot cake.

(And the monkey theme sort of prevailed under the radar - he gave lovely pewter mugs to his GMs with screaming flying monkeys - he's a dork and I love him.)

Posted: Jun 29, 2010 9:29 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Dear PTG,

"- DH wanted carrot cake,"

My husband LOVES carrot cake! Our son says that Dad is part rabbit!

JluvsJ Posts : 4 Registered: 5/24/10
Posted: Jun 29, 2010 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

At my wedding I want there to be a grooms cake, since he likes really nice cars, I would want that to be the theme for it. I have seen a lot of cute Grooms cake, like a Scrabble board, a football team and a scuba diver. I will also have the Grooms cake a different flavor as well. (:

dstine636810 Posts : 1 Registered: 8/21/09
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 2:34 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

I decided to have a grooms cake because it is a southern tradition, and even though I am not from the south, my roots are. So we are having a beautiful wedding cake and since there are going to be lots of kids at the wedding, I decided to have cupcakes on a stand for the grooms cake. And since he loves football they will have his teams helmet on them. On half of them anyway. I am putting my teams helmets on the other half because the two teams are big rivals. It is sort of a running joke between us about our teams. And the 25 cupcakes will cost under $20 dollars.

jojolina Posts : 897 Registered: 2/28/07
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 2:33 AM Go to message in response to: agd1017

I had a groom's cake as a surprise for my husband at our wedding. He is a big Star Wars fan, so the cake was made as R2D2. I did like AOTB mentioned and had slices of the cake boxed up in nice individual boxes for the guests to take home with them. The cake was quite pricey and I wanted to make sure it was eaten. It was a lovely thing to send home with the guests.

www.mywedding.com/lorrieandchris

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine