What do you think of black bridesmaids dresses?

Online Users: 1,346 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 17

Kate2012 Posts : 30 Registered: 1/25/10
What do you think of black bridesmaids dresses?
Posted: Jun 22, 2010 12:00 PM

I am having difficulty picking a colour for bridesmaids dresses for a Fall wedding. We are having a very casual wedding. I would warm up the black dresses with very colourful bouquets (orange, yellow, red). Do you think black bridesmaids dresses would look okay for a fall wedding? Other suggestions definately welcome!

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Re: What do you think of black bridesmaids dresses?
Posted: Jun 22, 2010 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jun 22, 2010 1:22 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

Reported LovemyPug as a vendor.

OP - I think black BMs dresses will look fine - I love theidea of the bright fall colors in the bouquets.

I had a slate blue color for my BMs dresses and we treated it as a neutral color and had BRIGHT summer colors in the bouquets. It looked rgeat - exactly what I wanted!

SarahSarah Posts : 93 Registered: 10/9/09
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 2:10 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Yes, you can do black!

My friend used black as her BM dresses - with red and white accents. They had a ceremony in a floral garden outside - it was a rockabilly type wedding, so lots of girls had black hair, bright tattoos..it looked really amazing!

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Jun 27, 2010 5:30 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

That's what we used. And they were black dresses the girls could wear and have worn again. I think your idea sounds great with the bright bouquets as well!!

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jun 27, 2010 6:19 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

I used black....I figured they were more rewearable. I also let them pick out their dresses. I told them between knee length and tea length...and something flowy (I didn't want tafetta). Also told them to get something they could see themselves wearing again.

Two actually bought the same dress -- and they lived in dfferent cities and had never met before :)

Misty

peacockprincess Posts : 4 Registered: 12/8/08
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 1:23 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

RE-WEAR RE-WEAR RE-WEAR! Your bridesmaids will LOVE you for being so thoughtful in picking a color they will ultimately have no problem wearing again to a fancy occasion. Besides, really, what is classier than an all black-n-white wedding!? It makes everything pop - jewelry, flowers, hair and makeup. You and your bridal party will look fantastic.

I love you more today than I did yesterday; tomorrow, I'll love you even more.

bridgeTorque Posts : 2 Registered: 2/12/10
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 1:23 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

I'm doing black for mine (my colors are black, white and champagne) and it's a fall wedding. No worries! Do what feels right. The coolest things about black is that it looks great in pics and they can wear 'em again. :-) Good luck with everything!

john21649225 Posts : 1 Registered: 5/10/10
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 1:43 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

I think chocolate brown is a beautiful color for a fall wedding.. Especially if you do colorful fall bouquets in oranges, pinks, and yellows.

mhill Posts : 2 Registered: 11/11/09
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 2:40 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

I'm doing black bridesmaid dresses with red shoes but they all have the same bouquets. They got to each pick out a dress they liked, tea length and flowy materials like Misty's post. BUT the different color bouquets is such a great idea - how fun! Love the idea!

BlueBoxBlueShoes Posts : 49 Registered: 2/15/10
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 3:04 PM Go to message in response to: mhill

We're doing a very modern urban wedding and I'm having my bridesmaids wear sleek little black dresses (I'm thinking simple one-shoulder cocktail length).

We want lots of black and white overall for the wedding and we're going to have the colors of the food, flowers, and paper be very strong accents.

"I liked it, so I put a ring on it." - the Future Mr. BlueBoxBlueShoes

MrsMToBe2011 Posts : 1 Registered: 7/8/10
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 3:16 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

That's what i'm doing! They have a better chance of wearing them again that way! Keep in mind that not everyone looks great in bright colors like orange & red. But who doesn't need a little black dress in their wardrobe?! We're doing black & hot pink...so I figured black dresses with pink flowers! I think the black dresses with the bright autumn flowers for your wedding will have a dramatic & gorgeous look to it!

MrsJellybean227 Posts : 3 Registered: 1/29/09
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 10:51 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

Black bridesmaid dresses are fine. And I love the idea of using bright bouquets with them. Brown would also look pretty as well as ivory/tan.

kimcro028558 Posts : 1 Registered: 8/30/09
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 7:34 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

My sister used black in her wedding and it looked very nice. I think the bright flowers will really make it pop.

KellyAmiri Posts : 29 Registered: 7/25/10
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

Black is gorgeous, of course! My only caution is that any time yellow is mixed with black, bees come to mind, and when orange is mixed with black, Halloween comes to mind. HOWEVER, a mixture of yellow, orange, and red (maybe a deep burgundy), with a heavier accent of the red, will look absolutely fabulous! A good idea is to take the color of the dresses (in this case black) with you to the florist, so you can at least lay it beside the pictures to get a good idea of the final look.

Thus sayth the former florist! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine