Anyone else unofficially engaged?

Online Users: 1,299 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 115

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Re: Anyone else unofficially engaged?
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 8:16 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

You mean Jim is NOT a real person? come on, sure he is. They're all real. no way!!

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 9:30 AM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Just give me John Krasinski and I will be fine... k thanks :o)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

LOnDZ Posts : 57 Registered: 6/10/07
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 8:11 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

@BrighterThanSunshine: My relationship is a lot like how you described your's. We have talked about it, but I don't have the ring on my finger or the question being asked yet.

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

ChrisBride Posts : 33 Registered: 1/14/09
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

OMG John Krasinski? Yeah he's my FH too lmao I love that guy!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

AutumnSage Posts : 2 Registered: 3/21/10
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 9:25 PM Go to message in response to: ChrisBride

This is my first post here!

I don't know if I would really use the term "unofficially engaged" and I don't really feel like joining in on the debate about it lol
but my bf and I have been together 6 years and marriage is our next step. I actually picked out my own ring becuase I found it and fell in love with it lol. My bf was recently laid off from his job so once he gets a new job/saves up money he's going to propose.
I'm not really planning anything yet, I read a ton of wedding blogs and have fun looking for ideas/inspirations but no planning yet.

:)

musicmakers14 Posts : 1 Registered: 1/14/10
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 1:45 AM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

My FH actually asked me to marry him before we even started dating...he's been my best friend for the past 5 years...and I knew I loved him, I just didnt realize how in love with him I was untill he kissed me (this was after I said yes to his impromtu proposal) he's going to "officially" propose sometime in the next year with the ring and asking my father and all(i'm old fashioned)...it gets a little confusing, hard to explain, and we may be doing things a little backwards, but were happy, and I love the way things have worked out!
Zach&Morgan

sweetness07 Posts : 8 Registered: 6/23/10
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 7:31 PM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

You and your boyfriend are whatever you two define yourself as...as far as my opinion goes...you can be either engaged or not. My boyfriend and I own a house, we picked out rings but there has been no proposal with a ring. When I told my best friend that we went ring shopping she squealed and congratulated me, very awkward. I don't feel engaged and won't call call myself engaged until I have a ring on my finger. I'm happy being boyfriend and girlfriend, because once you are engaged there is no going back, so I am trying to enjoy these last days together as bf/gf until the propsosal comes. I think that is a good way to think of it.

AAA0811 Posts : 15 Registered: 6/23/10
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 9:57 AM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

Hey!
Yeah, my FH and I are unofficially engaged. It's more of a thing where we just didn't want EVERYONE knowing that we were suddenly engaged, so our parents know and some of our closest friends. My extended family--and his--are super curious and interested in everything that ever happens in our life....so we just decided to keep it on the DL until about 11 months before the wedding...which is next month!!!! :cD

Best of luck!!!

Teedove Posts : 18 Registered: 5/20/10
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 2:59 AM Go to message in response to: iFoundMrWright

Ok, I am going to dive in here with this, maybe you have your reasons for calling it "unofficially engaged", engaged is engaged....you are just waiting for your rings...my fiance hasn't given me my ring yet, and it didn't matter he asked....we told our families, we booked the ceremony site and all that. I guess it depends on the couple, cause even without the ring he still proposed aloud..and I think my love was stronger than the want of the ring. I had a friend that got engaged and she didn't get her rings until her wedding day so it varies couple to couple. Congrats and happy wedding planning.......

Edited by: tonyatee344064 on Jun 30, 2010 2:11 AM

Teedove

MelissaMahlik Posts : 1 Registered: 6/18/09
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 6:56 PM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

I totally get what your talking about. my boyfriend and i have been unofficially engaged for a year now. we've spoken about some wedding details. we have a notebook filled with ideas we both have contributed. The only reason he hasnt popped the question is because he doesnt have the money yet. although, he recently started goating me about finding "it" and hes come into a lot of money. so im guessing he will or does have the ring. an engagment is coming anytime soon.

bride1974 Posts : 1 Registered: 3/19/10
Posted: Jul 19, 2010 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

I don't understand what the big deal is about unofficially engaged. I say the only people who should decide on this is the couple. Not everyone is that traditional. Not everyone can afford a ring. Not everyone does everything by the book. It is not an A-Z thing. It is not like you are building a car and forget the engine!

I feel that if you are not involved, IE the bride or groom to be BUTT OUT!!!

Everyone, these days worries about everyone else's business. I say just worry about yourself. Not what someone else is doing!

madridqon Posts : 2 Registered: 2/17/10
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 7:19 AM Go to message in response to: bride1974

A huge amount of our friends and relatives do the "unofficially engaged or engaged to be engaged now"

Mostly Due to the GFC. A lot of people I know including myself are in tough job positions at the moment. No one really knows in this area who's going to be laid off, who's going to have hours cut, who's works drying up.

So every one of my girlfriends including me has an engaged to be engaged ring now.
I know how stupid it sounds. But when money is the only thing holding us back from pursuing a lifetime of love & life. at least a little ring is a sign to say. Hey baby, hang in there!

Eleana Posts : 1 Registered: 8/26/10
Posted: Aug 26, 2010 9:11 PM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

My Boyfriend and I have set the date for December 2013 however were not engaged yet because we are both working out way through college and we both want to wait until we are done with school and have our careers set... I completely get unofficially engaged.....

xxatfirstglance... Posts : 1 Registered: 5/7/10
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: independant2406

I'm in the same boat.. Just waiting for the offical ring. I don't think there is anything wrong with unoffical engagement. You know its going to happen you just can't tell others its offical yet..

runningfortheal... Posts : 2 Registered: 12/28/08
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 1:51 AM Go to message in response to: mainstdancer08

Yes, ladies who want to believe ... there is such a thing as blissfully "unofficially engaged". Those who do not believe, for their own reasons, so be it ... let them think what they like. I am proud to say that I am a blissfully "Unofficially Engaged Bride To Be" and planning on a December 2013 wedding.

For those of you who do not believe ... just remember this. Do not judge someone else til you have walked in their shoes. That is my life motto and true to my core. Why and how can I be like this. I have lived and survived a life of tragedies. However, this has not deterred my spirit in life, love, or the pursuit of happiness and the American Dream.

My FH and I are both a mature, middle aged couple. This will be a second marriage for both of us and requires the challenges of incorporating my teenage children from my first marriage into this relationship. Our lives are very full and challenging in many ways. Lets start with the fact that we live in separate cities, day to day lives and duties, working on starting my own businesses, and my limited mobility and impending multiple spinal cord surgeries due to a motor vehicle accident months ago because someone smashed into my car and totaled it.

We have discussed and planned many aspects of our special day including the fact that he wants to pick out my engagement ring, on his own, and do a complete surprise proposal. This is what makes us "Unofficially Engaged". The ring is not what is most important ... it is the sincerity, love, devotion, and meaning of the proposal that is most important. The ring is the lasting symbol of that special moment in time when you declare to spend your lives together. Actually, just about the whole wedding down to the tiniest of details has already been discussed and in many cases decided upon. Not to mention that several of the key components will be DIY projects done by the groom and I, ourselves, which will take time. For example, I am making all of our stationary/invitation items. By this, I do not mean that I am buying card stock and printing invitations from a template on my computer. What I mean is that I am actually making the mounting custom paper frame and all other paper products from scratch ... comprised of 90-100% post consumer recycled paper products. We would of started booking vendors except for the fact that many places will not let you book 3 1/4 years in advance. We fully understand this as I am a 23 year vetern Certified Chef and in the process of starting my own multi-faceted businesses involving the restaurant and hospitality industry.

So, despite the fact of everything else going on in our hectic lives we are just as happy to be labeled "Unofficially Engaged". As mentioned earlier, this will be a second trip to the alter for each of us and we will be paying for the whole wedding ourselves. In fact, we may even pay for all of our guests to spend the weekend in our winter wonderland wedding location and make it a holiday gift to them just so we can have everyone we want most there. Since neither of us had a ""dream"" wedding the first time we are making sure that we take the time now while we are "Unofficially Engaged" to make all our research and plans now. This means that once the engagement is "Official" we can guarantee booking with all the vendors of our choice as soon as possible.

The end result of being blissfully "Unofficially Engaged" first is that once we are "Official" we will be able to enjoy our "Official Engagement" courtship. So, while all the mainstream "Engaged" brides will be running around and stressed out from the moment "Yes" til the alter ... my FH and I will be enjoying our "Engagement" relatively stress free. That is the beginning of a beautiful wedding day and new life together. Peace, Love, and Happiness.

Good Luck and Best Wishes to all of you ... "Unofficially Engaged" Brides to Be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine