black tie wedding

Online Users: 1,344 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

blg529 Posts : 3 Registered: 6/23/10
black tie wedding
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 3:26 PM

My fiance and I are getting married married next August at a very fancy hotel in Beverly Hills. The ballroom is made up of cooler colors (for example it has slightly blue-green, grayish walls). We have already decided we are having a black tie wedding, but that's as far as we've gotten in terms of thinking about style. I want the decor to be somewhat modern looking, but still fit in with such a regal ballroom. I don't want to have a black and white wedding (not that they aren't elegant, but it's not me). Any suggestions on colors/flowers/style in general? Thanks!

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Re: black tie wedding
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 10:28 PM Go to message in response to: blg529

The color of the ballroom really has nothing to do with your color choices. Pick the colors you and FH likes and narrow it down from there.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

I have to disagree, Kenny's. Unless you wish to completely remake the colors (with lighting, draping, chair covering, etc.) It's better to go with the flow of the colors than to waste your money on remaking what's there. With a cool grey-blue, there are lots of directions you could take. You could do a blue/lavender/purple/silver scheme. Or, use shades of green (lime is very hot right now). Do all white and silver, or do blue/white/silver. For a very contemporary, high-contrast look, you could go with reds and oranges (blend in touches of blue and grey for continuity). We often suggest the paint-chip trick--go to your local paint store, get chips that match the ballroom colors, then play around and mix in colors until you get a combo that you like.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

blg529 Posts : 3 Registered: 6/23/10
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 2:48 PM Go to message in response to: myras

Thanks Myra! I actually have really been thinking about doing blue/lavendar/silver/cream. I have this idea in my head for tall centerpieces with bunches of blue and lavendar hydrangeas and phalaenopsis orchids cascading down and was thinking of using that as the basis to build around. I think silver would work well with this combo and up the opulence factor. So far I can just see silver chiavari chairs but can build from there.

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 9:43 PM Go to message in response to: blg529

That sounds gorgeous. And, of course, it's so easy to get silver accessories--cake stand, candleabras or holders, chargers (plates), votive holders, silver-rimmed china, stones or crystals for the bottoms of vases, etc. Chiavaris are lovely on their own, or they lend themselves to having decor (like sheer fabric coverings for the backs or ribbon woven through them), depending on just how far you wish to go.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

BlueBoxBlueShoes Posts : 49 Registered: 2/15/10
Posted: Jul 10, 2010 12:39 AM Go to message in response to: blg529

On our planner's site there's a wedding at the Peninsula Hotel (Chicago) that's featured that sounds like a similar ballroom/formal wedding.

The bride somehow rented 100+ Philip Stark Ghost chairs, had modern Tiffany-inspired lamps with white flowers as centerpieces... it looks very cool. Maybe only do white against the light blue/ grey walls and then let the lavender flowers pop in tall, sleek glass vases?

I don't want to post her website, but you can PM me.

"I liked it, so I put a ring on it." - the Future Mr. BlueBoxBlueShoes

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine