Tasteful vintage Halloween wedding

Online Users: 1,303 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

Rebeccavaz Posts : 1 Registered: 6/18/10
Tasteful vintage Halloween wedding
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 1:11 PM

I am having a Catholic mass wedding and then a vintage Halloween-themed reception afterwards in Pennsylvania on October 29, 2011. I'm having a hard time finding ideas on the internet that aren't tacky Halloween favors or more modern Halloween cliches (I want no costumes, no masks, no scary makeup). I'm really wanting to gear this towards late 1800s-early 1900s Halloween styles. Any ideas, pics, or sites?

Also, looking for vintage dress to wear, as well, but no idea where to start looking or what style I want. Any ideas on this as well?

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Re: Tasteful vintage Halloween wedding
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 5:37 PM Go to message in response to: Rebeccavaz

(I want no costumes, no masks, no scary makeup).

It sounds as if "fall" would work for you as a theme. Just use the elements that are associated with the Halloween season (e.g. pumpkins, candles, candy, colors, fun favors, caramel apples, branches, "night," etc.) without going overboard on the scary or sacriligeous elements.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

Orbital199 Posts : 92 Registered: 10/12/09
Posted: Jun 21, 2010 8:52 AM Go to message in response to: Rebeccavaz

I agree with Myras, it sounds like a fall themed wedding would suit what you're looking for. You could incorporate the old world themes of the season without allowing the more modern translation of Halloween with costumes and masks (although I've always thought a tasteful masquerade themed wedding would be so much fun).

You can do a lot with the decor of a harvest/fall themed wedding. You have a rich firey color palette to pull from and you can use natural elements such as gords, leaves, and branches to decorate. Think of ways to pull out universal translations of the season without having to resort to literal holiday themes.

As far as the dress goes, ivory and lace scream vintage if you're going for the 1800-1900 era in your style.

Below are some links to inspiration.

http://www.liweddings.com/mywedding/album/i/169936.jpg

http://ottawagatineauweddingplanner.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/ce4a32ceb92.jpg

http://agapeweddings.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/fall-wedding-decor.jpg

http://www.bridalwave.tv/2009/11/14/images/Lace%20vintage%20wedding%20dress%20at%20the%20Designer%20wedding%20show%202009.jpg

elaines Posts : 1 Registered: 1/31/07
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: Rebeccavaz

SarahSarah Posts : 93 Registered: 10/9/09
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 2:26 PM Go to message in response to: elaines

I didn't get much when I Googled this - I think Halloween wasn't as major of a holiday in the 1800s?

I would start browsing the internet for 'vintage halloween decorations', etc...check out the library for books on collectibles - vintage Halloween has been gaining in popularity for collectors, and I have seen vintage inspired decor during the season recently.

I would check out rollandrollbride.com , indiebride.com , offbeatbride.com - they have galleries of non-traditional weddings, and I'm sure lots of Halloween themed ones.

Check flea markets, thrift stores, and antique stores in your town - my friend stumbled upon some 60s Halloween costumes/decor a couple years ago, so you might get lucky!

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 11:11 PM Go to message in response to: SarahSarah

No it wasn't but I would not go with any Halloween decor per sea but maybe use the colouring and the idea when picking out you decor.

As for your clothing - have you checked vintage clothing stores?

Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine