Need help with wording for out-of-country wedding

Online Users: 1,352 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 5

Two4Singapore Posts : 1 Registered: 6/22/10
Need help with wording for out-of-country wedding
Posted: Jun 22, 2010 5:59 PM

My fiance and I will be getting married in Singapore in February. (HIs family lives there.) We will also be having a reception here in California in March.

We want to send invitations to the people in the US, inviting them to the reception in CA, but also including info about the wedding/reception in Singapore, if they would like/are able to attend there as well. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Need help with wording for out-of-country wedding
Posted: Jun 22, 2010 7:42 PM Go to message in response to: Two4Singapore

Dear Singapore,

You are making it way too complicated.

You invite people. Period.

If they want to attend, they will RSVP "Yes". If they can't attend, they will RSVP "No".

I think you are trying to say something like "We know you probably won't be able to come, but if hell freezes over and you can come, then great."

There's no good way to do that. All you can do is invite them, then when they decline (as most will), you just be very understanding. "I'm sorry you cannot attend, but understand that Singapore is a long and expensive trip. I'm glad you will be able to attend the reception in California. We'll look forward to seeing you there."

You can combine the two invitations for the two events:

Homer Simpson and Marge Bouvier invite you to their wedding
(date, time, place, etc)

Reception in Singapore following the ceremony
Date time place

Reception in California
Date time place

ElleJay24 Posts : 17 Registered: 1/11/10
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

That's great, auntofthebride! Saved me a new thread... I like the "Just invite people" approach.

OP - we are in a similar situation and have been really confused about the etiquette regarding all of it - but auntofthebride makes a good call here. We're going to send invitations to everyone we would have otherwise and make sure our RSVPs have both the ceremony abroad option and the domestic reception.
Etta Alpha

Edited by: ElleJay24 on Jun 23, 2010 1:00 PM

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

Ladies,

Don't try to second-guess people. Don't decide for someone else that a trip would be "too much" for them.

Just invite them and let the chips fall where they may.

People do all kinds of things. They combine an out-of-town wedding with another vacation, or another trip to see their old college buddy, etc. I once combined a trip for a 40th birthday with the chance to experience a total solar eclipse!

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 3:16 PM Go to message in response to: Two4Singapore

I was invited to a wedding once with multiple locations. The bride and groom had a ceremony and reception in Boston, where they lived, and then a second, delayed reception in Michigan, where the Bride grew up and had friends/family who would not travel to Boston. The wedding invitation essentially looked normal, with all three events listed on the invitation.

On the RSVP, you indicated which event you would be attending. You could say if you were attending the ceremony and reception in Boston, or the reception in Michigan. Since I live on the East Coast, but my friends/family is in Michigan, I got to choose which one I wanted to travel for.

So, essentially, I suggest you send out invitaitons that invite your guests, and also indicate that there will be a second, delayed reception stateside. Then list all events on the RSVP, allowing your guests to check off which one they would attend.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 12, 2012 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: Two4Singapore

Save up to 22% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $218.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/ball-gown-strapless-ruffles-organza-wedding-dress-style-giselle-p-33756.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine