I need some help, please...

Online Users: 1,346 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

CrystalBarnes Posts : 1 Registered: 6/19/10
I need some help, please...
Posted: Jun 21, 2010 5:22 PM

I have basically, actually no idea how to plan a wedding or anything, and me and my fiance dont even have a budget because we dont know how to do anything. lol... so can anyone with tips or anything email please, i would really appreciate it.

chris42005 Posts : 89 Registered: 4/6/10
Re: I need some help, please...
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 1:45 PM Go to message in response to: CrystalBarnes

After budget, figure out what you like( ie beach, modern, chic), and time of wedding( I think you picked/tagged as Dec). Both of these will help guide colors and flowers. Like PP, I recommend getting a good planning book.

lissagettingmar... Posts : 22 Registered: 5/29/10
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 12:38 AM Go to message in response to: CrystalBarnes

One thing I've realized is that it's difficult to figure out a budget before you've looked at some prices - so explore places like here and the Knot to see what the local prices are like for your vendors and see what kind of things you like. That's not to say you can't have, say, a $5,000 wedding in New York, but it's nice to be realistic about what you can actually GET for $5,000 (or whatever you're thinking you'd like to spend) and adjust your budget accordingly before you actually start spending money.

Noelene123 Posts : 19 Registered: 12/21/08
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: CrystalBarnes

Once you learn who is paying for what, and agree on a buget with the wedding. everything else will fall in place

Rin2313 Posts : 15 Registered: 5/3/10
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 12:05 AM Go to message in response to: CrystalBarnes

Planning a wedding depends a lot on what you and your fiance are going for. For example, looking to elope, have a huge church wedding, a small and intimate beach wedding, something simple, a big party, etc. This will be a big help, along with your budget. Perhaps you have a $100,000 but just want a small, intimate wedding. Or maybe you have $10,000 for a traditional wedding with lots of family and friends. Maybe you and your fiance don't want a big, frilly wedding. These "visions" will help guide your planning. Some things you should look into:

-Venue for ceremony
-Venue for reception
-Music for ceremony and/or reception
-Food
-Attire
-Decorations
-Flowers
-Wedding party
-Guests
-Etc.

KayleeLove Posts : 1 Registered: 6/16/10
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 11:01 AM Go to message in response to: CrystalBarnes

There are tons and tons of websites to help you get started and point you in the right direction. A personal favorite of mine is: http://ruffledblog.com/

It has lots of wedding ideas, tips and DIY tricks.

I've also done searches through twitter. There are tons of wedding related companies linking to great information and helpful suggestions on their twitter accounts.

Once you figure out your budget then you can start creating!

good luck and have fun :]

-Kaylee (soon to be) Fitzgerald

Pumba2010 Posts : 1 Registered: 7/8/10
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: KayleeLove

Don't feel bad I totally feel like you. My FH actually just proposed a week ago and like everyone knows people want to know the date ASAP. I would like to get married next November but with finances it would be easier to wait an additional year. At the same time I really don't want to wait that long so now I'm trying to figure out when we are really going to get married. As you can see I'm very confused and just want to enjoy the feeling of being engaged. Anyone who can offer advice I would greatly appreciate it.

BlueBoxBlueShoes Posts : 49 Registered: 2/15/10
Posted: Jul 10, 2010 12:20 AM Go to message in response to: Pumba2010

^ I think it is very possible to do a smaller budget/shorter engagement period and still have a nice wedding.

My sister planned her entire wedding in less than 3 weeks, ceremony AND reception for about 40 people. My parents paid for most of it (because she doesn't have a job... but that's a different story all together) and they were definitely on a budget given that it was incredibly short notice (no, she's not pregnant... just impatient).

She prioritized what was important to her. Because of the short notice, their venue was the neighborhood clubhouse that only cost $50 for the entire day's use. She had a famous TN BBQ joint cater (with servers to help with refills/bussing), wedding cupcakes from a trendy bakery in town, a DJ, lots of DIY decorating (candles, flowers, mirrors, floating flowers, etc). Her splurge was that she hired two different wedding photographers and since there was no corkage/bartender fees she had better alcohol at her wedding.

My fiance and I are taking about a year to plan and are in a position to have a very vague budget. I'm sure there is a budget line, but while we want a very formal wedding there's also a point where you have to say "Okay, that's a stupid amount of money to spend on one single day" and scale back some.

"I liked it, so I put a ring on it." - the Future Mr. BlueBoxBlueShoes

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine