Parking at your college

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Parking at your college
Posted: Jun 20, 2010 7:45 PM

Ladies,

Just out of curiosity, how much did parking cost at your college for a student on campus?

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Re: Parking at your college
Posted: Jun 20, 2010 11:18 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Horrendous! For law school in Minneapolis. I had to use city parking, couldn't get a pass even. About $10/day and I had class 3 days a week. I couldn't use public transport from where I lived, which was over on the WI side. Some days I didn't go, as I got the previous finals, read the books and prepared for the tests that the profs gave. I'm not advocating that, I spent a tremendous amount of time preparing for their finals and studied many years of prior finals to do this. In fact, my last year I pretty much did that a lot because I worked as well (was single with the 3 kids). I did have to attend the clinics and seminars though. Parking sucked. I donated plasma for grocery money, and would have way preferred not using grocery money for parking.

Then, in undergrad it depends. The large state college was pretty bad, but I could at least get a pass. The comm college I went to first was free.

Here, the state 4 years are bad (in Denver) but the comm colleges aren't bad at all. High School also charges. But it isn't too bad $60/year. However, there is no reason for this. We aren't in a large city, we're in a suburb and there is no need to charge for high school parking.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P., People Offended by Offended People

CapeTownBride Posts : 37 Registered: 4/16/10
Posted: Jun 21, 2010 2:41 AM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

You have to pay for university parking?!?!?!?!

I'm sorry, I'm wearing my incredulous face.

I have never heard of something as ridiculous as that. I attend a very prestigious, very posh university in South Africa and here parking is free. Actually, hardly anyone uses the free parking because most people are uber-environment conscious and just walk or cycle. If they live quite a distance away they use one of the university sponsored shuttles to get to class. These shuttles have a regular route on a set timetable through town and are only available to students and faculty. They're also free - your "ticket" is flashing your student or faculty ID.

This actually ties in to something else I recently heard about American tertiary education. We had dinner with friends a few days ago and one of the other guests delighted telling us she'd finally finished paying her student loans. I was flabbergasted as this woman was in her forties. I couldn't help but ask her if, like me, she had also started university later in life. She then told me no, it took her nearly 20 years to pay her student loans...

Twenty years?!?!?!

Is that normal? Granted, this woman has a PhD from a prestigious university... But still, 20 years? She says it's not unusual for students to rack up $100 000 in student loans and that's how long it sometimes takes to pay that back.

Please tell me this case is unusual?

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Jun 21, 2010 6:27 AM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

My parking cost depended upon the semester. During the summer, it was free. The other semesters were $180. The parking lot that paid for was a LONG, LONG walk from any classes as well.

Cape: Yes that is normal. The joy of student loans.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 21, 2010 9:05 AM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

Dear CTB,

Yes, it is common to pay for university parking and/or transport to the college. Even when I went to college, way back in the 1970s, I had to pay the whopping sum of $35/year for my parking permit. That got me a permit close to the building where I had most of my classes.

My question arose because I heard, now, at that same university that the students are paying $45/month for "satellite" parking. They park a long way off campus, then are shuttled in.

My children paid $109/year for a parking permit, ten years ago.

To address your other question about student loans. Yes, it is common for most students to graduate with a huge debt load, unless they have wealthy parents who can pay for their college.

Let me pass on something that I experienced, personally. I am American and went to South Africa back in 1990. The day I arrived in Joburg, I had a medical emergency and had to go to the hospital emergency room. They sent me to the doctor who was on call, and was examined.

There was no one in the doctor's office except me and the doctor. This was approx 10:30 at night. Thus, the doctor had no one else to see, nor any other distractions. He told me about my situation, then since I was an American visitor, we got to talking about the future of medicine in the "new" South Africa. (Remember - this was 1990.)

One thing that really impressed me was the following. I will paraphrase from memory:

"Here's something very different about medicine here SA and medicine in the United States. My colleagues in the US graduate from medical school with huge student loan debts. Therefore, they must make a high salary right out of med school just to be able to live decently and pay those student loans. On the other hand, here the government paid for my medical school, so I graduated from medical school debt-free. I have a much lower income than my US colleagues, but I have a higher living standard simply because I have no debt. I make about the same as anyone else with a college degree and a post-graduate education. My US colleagues, however, end up making a very high net income once the student loan debt is paid off."

"That is one of the reasons medical care in the US is so much more expensive than it is here. Doctors in the US must charge much higher rates than doctors here, just to afford their salaries. You will find that your total charges for medical care here in SA will be considerably lower than what you would pay for similar medical care in the US."

(end of quote)

No kidding. The total bill for my medical treatment, including a night in the hospital (Sandton Clinic), was $835. My doctor back home estimated that a similar bill here would have been around $5000.

Another piece of info: I have a young friend in France who is a doctor. Her entire medical school education was paid for by the French government, and she similarly graduated with no student loan debt. She is obliged to work for a certain number of years (I do not know the specifics) in the French national medical service before she can go into private practice. However, her salary is similar to that of the South African doctor. She earns a good living, but is by no means "rich".

My husband and I were able to graduate from college, him with a PhD and me with a MS, with NO student loan debt. The tuitions and fees were low enough, then, that we could just work and pay our own way. My parents paid for my undergrad tuition and fees, but my husband's parents could not do that, so he had to work his way through BS to PhD. Even so, at $600/year that was possible. The same fees now at the same university are more like $12,000/year so paying for school and supporting oneself from a part time student job is virtually impossible.

My husband and I hunkered down, once the twins were born, and aggressively saved for their college education. Between our own discipline and one incredibly lucky investment that paid off big time, we were able to fund their tuition and fees for four years. They had to work to earn their own living expenses, but at the end of the four years graduated debt-free.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jun 21, 2010 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I am surprised that I've never heard of having to pay to park at a college! Mine is free to park. It's always packed with cars and everyone always has to park "miles" away lol but parking is free. Maybe because I don't go to a HUGE university so parking is free? Not sure...

Cape: the cost of college in the United States is ridiculous! I think I will die before I finish paying off my student loans.

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Jun 21, 2010 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Parking for my university is $250 a semester for a lot over a bus ride away and if you want within walking distance it starts at $500 and goes to $1000 per semester. I ride the light rail for $40 a semester.

Cape: Welcome to America... land of the highly over priced education

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

KCI Posts : 150 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 11:05 AM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

It was $300 a year at my school. Freshman year I paid $500 for off-campus parking since freshman weren't allowed on campus parking.

Cape - Those student loans aren't too unusual. I went to state schools and still ended up with a bit over $55K in loans.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: KCI

I just started a job at the University of Calgary. Not even staff gets free parking!

Annual permits for Assigned lots are sold on a yearly basis. Prices vary by location but are generally $79-$85 per month for surface lots and $112-$127 for Parkades.

Art Parkade - Permits for the Fall/Winter semester will be sold on a first come, first serve basis starting April 1, 2010. This would be a permit for one semester of September 1 - December 31, 2010 or two semesters of September 1 - April 30, 2011.

Cost per semester is $448.00. A Transponder deposit of $30.00 is still in place. This deposit is fully refundable when the permit is returned to us.

McMahon Stadium Semester Permits - Permits for Fall/Winter semester will be sold on a first come, first serve basis starting September 1, 2010. This would be a permit for one semester of September 1 - December 31, 2010 or two semesters of September 1 - April 30, 2011.

Cost per semester is $120.00. (this is OFF CAMPUS PARKING)

ElleNChuck Posts : 50 Registered: 6/10/10
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 7:47 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

If I recall correctly a "parking" pass was aproximately 250/per semester for the main campus and 75 or 80 on the "satellite" campus. And all that guaranteed you was the right to circle around campus trying to find a parking spot. There were NEVER parking spots.

CapeTownBride Posts : 37 Registered: 4/16/10
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 2:55 AM Go to message in response to: ElleNChuck

I guess this serves as my welcome to Brides.com. I learn something new every day.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 8:12 AM Go to message in response to: Beeble

Troy University (Montgomery Campus), a non-traditional EVENING university, charges $25 a year for parking. The kicker....they have one parking deck and one parking lot. They also consider ANY PARKING SPACE within walking distance to be campus parking.... so while they can't give you a ticket for parking a block away, they do not feel like they have not provided you with parking if you can park a block away.

I used to teach there, and I used to pay that fee...but after many nights where I could not park on what I considered Campus (because our Theatre had "Patrons" who were taking up STUDENT parking... and that theatre considered parking to be part and parcel of the ticket price), I complained to the facilities guy and told him I had to park off campus. I did not feel that they should:

a) be charging Faculty (we are their product, so to speak) And if they did charge Faculty, then they should provide more Faculty parking spaces.
b) be charging for more parking than they could provide

He point blank told me that because I was within 2 blocks of campus, they felt they had provided me a parking space.

Oh really....that was the last year I paid to park. I figured that if the OFF CAMPUS parking within a 2 block radius was considered CAMPUS parking...and I could park there without paying money to the university...then why should I pay for it? So I stopped.

Undergraduate it was about $100 a year...but you also got put in a lottery for the spaces. They did not have sufficient room for all students to have parking passes. Freshman were not allowed cars.

And regarding student loans: I went to a college with a very unusual (and I think AOTB would consider it to be HIGHLY responsible) policy. They determined your family's ability to pay. They also allowed students to borrow no MORE than $2,500 annually for student loans. Parents minimum contribution was $2,500 annually and students minimum contribution was $1,000 annually. That's $6K. However, in 1986-90...that college cost $16-18K....so there were $12K that I got in scholarships and grants because they deemed me a student that contributed to the university.

For a 4 year college degree, my parents paid $10K. I paid $4K...and I graduated with a total debt of $12K (they changed the maximum student debt from $4K my freshman year to $2.5K my sophomore) Of course, the degree was worth about $70K. They were able to offer us really LOW student loan interest rates because they have a repayment rate of 99%. They have a repayment rate of 99% because their graduates graduate with an affordable student loan repayment debt. If a grant ran out of money, THE FINANCIAL AID office found you a new one...then notified you about it. They did not call you in to fill out paperwork and get you all stressed out over next year's payment. For a pricey college, they did everything they could to keep their low to middle income students just as stress free over college tuition as the rich kids. (And granted...the rich kids were eligible for SCHOLARSHIPS...but the payment scheme was based on ability to pay....not who you knew.)

I have a lot of respect for the way MY Alma Mater treated us. I could never have afforded another institution...because most of them do not look any farther than their own paycheck. Albion College looked at OURS.

Misty

Edited by: CatStandish on Jun 24, 2010 7:13 AM

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 7:20 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

A-line Gold Halter Sweetheart Drape Beaded Open Back Prom Dress With Sweep Train
Save up to 16% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $168.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-gold-halter-sweetheart-drape-beaded-open-back-prom-dress-with-sweep-train-p-31800.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine