Love Potion Wedding Favors?

Online Users: 1,355 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Love Potion Wedding Favors?
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 9:19 AM

I'd like to pick your brains about something, if you have time:

For my friend's vow renewal, she's thinking about going with "Love Potion No. 9" as the overall theme. She's going to have flasks/beakers/test tubes filled with colored water for lighting and other decorative purposes, and they're just going for a general "Romantic Meets Mad Scientist" feel to the reception.

So here's my question - for favors, if they chose to bottle up a "love potion" to send home with their guests, what should it be? We're open to all suggestions.

One thing I was thinking could be a nice idea would be home-made mead (we have friends who make it for recreational purposes). Any other fun cocktail ideas? Good lemonade/tea recipes?

http://www.pennsylvaniafiduciarylitigation.com/uploads/image/love%20potion.JPG

Thanks for the help, everyone!

P.S. If you have other ideas for favors that could fit with this theme, or other ideas for the reception, feel free to chime in!

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Re: Love Potion Wedding Favors?
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Cute thought, but I'm trying to put myself in the position of a guest who receives this "Potion." If I didn't know what it was, I would throw it out. Even if I did know what it was, I might not drink it, since I wouldn't have faith that it was fresh, sanitary,etc. (like how long does fresh lemonade last, unrefrigerated?) While "Love Potion" might be fun for the friends, what about the Grandparents, old maiden Auntie, etc.? If it's mead, what about the non-drinkers? Of course, you know your own crowd better than I do, so it's your call.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Mar 26, 2010 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: myras

I agree, Myra, that putting liquids in the bottles could be a potential issue. The majority of the crowd would not mind an alcoholic "potion". They'd have a small tag letting them know what was actually in the bottle, so it's not as much of a "mystery drink". As far as freshness, that was my first concern. We'll probably pour them the day before, and refridgerate them until we give them out, if we do this.

Do you have any ideas for an alternative favor that could suit this theme?

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

I think it's a good idea! It's very creative. What about however instead of putting something that you can drink what if you have the bottles be bubbles solution so that the guest can blow bubbles at the bride and groom as they walk away for their honeymoon? The only extra thing you would however have to buy are wands to blow the bubbles. Just a thought.

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

hljanes Posts : 57 Registered: 12/31/09
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 7:22 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

I would suggest if you go for the alcoholic route - which might be safe, as far as not spoiling, though I'd suggest verifying it with a bartender or someone else who knows food and drink first - that a card be included to identify just what this drink is.

Posted: Mar 26, 2010 7:55 PM Go to message in response to: hljanes

I mentioned that in my second reply - we would be providing a tag which would specify what the drink was.

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 4:28 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Well, anything edible can work. Chocolate is supposed to be a food of love (certainly is for me!!) Heart shapes may be a cliche, but they work. Any sexy massage oil, bath stuff, romantic candle. And, of course, what's wrong with a small (already packaged) bottle of wine or champagne? The wrapping and the attached message can relate to the theme.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 6:31 PM Go to message in response to: myras

You could get prepackaged bottles of something, and use a personalized label, like what you can order here: http://www.customfavors.com/

You could also get creative and make something, like a perfume. You would want to use a recipe, but there are recipes for homemade scents that use organic ingredients

For example: http://www.easy-homemade-recipes.com/love-tonic.html

Do lable it with the ingredients you use....as with any kind of perfume, there are people with allergies.

Of course, you could also go a route and get chocolates shaped like bottles with liquors in it, and label THOSE love potion #9.

Its a cute movie... Sandra Bullock and Dale Midkiff and someone else <G>

Misty

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 7:21 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I love the perfume idea, but I don't think it'd go over too well with this crowd. The idea about the mini champagne/wine bottles is fantastic! I'm trying to find a website with labels that look nice, at the moment. I know that Jones Soda does personalized soda bottles, so I suppose that's always an option, too.

Thanks for the input, everyone! Keep the ideas coming, if you have them!

jmrosazza Posts : 12 Registered: 2/7/10
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 11:00 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

I think bubbles that you blow at the bride and groom are a little overdone, but what about bubble bath? It's romantic, fun for all ages, and can be relatively inexpensive. There's no worry of open container laws or outside alcohol (if that's a concern in your state and at your venue).

AmiB Posts : 6 Registered: 6/19/10
Posted: Jun 19, 2010 4:42 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

You can get some solar-powered mini torches from e-bay which might fit a sciency theme? They're around £1-2 here, I'm not sure what that is in US$

Also, I don't know if you've seen/heard about the "invisible ink" kids experiment? You write something on a piece of paper in lemon juice/milk and let it dry. Then when you iron or heat the paper the message appears. Maybe your friend/her FH could write personalised thank you messages for each guest (if there's not too many) and roll the paper up and put it in a test tube. Then just attach a tag with instructions to iron/heat. It's not particularly useful but might be a bit of fun?

My last suggestion is to get a beaker or test tube and put in ingredients to make something the guests could consume at home. You know how you can sometimes buy mugs as gifts with hot chocolate powder and marshmallows wrapped separately and included? Just do the same but put them in a beaker. You could also do it with a test tube and include stuff to make fizzy sherbert (citric acid, soda bicarb, icing sugar) along with a "stirrer" (ice lolly stick). I've heard of it being done with ingredients for choc chip cookies as well.

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 9:43 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine