Wedding colors

Online Users: 1,248 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 11

feministbride Posts : 14 Registered: 2/27/10
Wedding colors
Posted: May 13, 2010 10:21 AM

Am I the only one that find choosing a wedding color to be the most difficult part? I don't have a "favorite color" and like so many colors and styles! I already decided on my flowers (white/green very simple yet natural looking) but don't want my flower colors to be "the wedding colors" I don't want my bridemaids to be wearing white/green. Such a difficult decision. I am more ranting than anything else. What are your wedding colors?

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Re: Wedding colors
Posted: May 13, 2010 12:33 PM Go to message in response to: feministbride

I didn't really really pick official "colors" per se- we are having an outdoor, lakeside wedding, so I wanted to keep the colors very natural- my bouquet will be similar to yours- greens and whites, and then we are mixing in sunflowers and other bright flowers throughout the ceremony and reception site. My bridesmaids are wearing this dress- in green:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?catentryId=6109356&searchDimension=689%2B4294965107&searchKeyword=81372&searchKey=All&catalogId=10051&searchSort=&searchDimensionName=DavidsBridal.com&langId=-1&y=7&search_category=689%2B4294965107&x=8&storeId=10052&ddkey=http:EndecaConnectionQueryCmd

And our groomsmen will be in sage green Tommy Bahama button-downs and khakis.

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: May 13, 2010 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: feministbride

When I started planning, I knew I wanted bright colorful bouquets and icy blue for the BM dresses. However, when I started looking for the BM dresses, I didn't like any of their "icy" blues. They were either too silvery/gray or mintish. Then I saw cornflower blue and fell in love with it on the spot. I love my wedding pictures because they're so bright and colorful. Perfect for a summer day.

"

Whatever you decide will be beautiful and you will know it when you see it.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: May 13, 2010 9:26 PM Go to message in response to: feministbride

My favorite color is purple but my wedding colors are no where near purple lol. First you have to see if you have a theme for your wedding. Then go from there. My theme is fall so therefore my wedding colors are fall colors such as red, orange, and brown. However, even though it may sound simple, picking the shade of those colors was tricky. Plus I didnt know if I wanted some yellow too. So finally we ended up with apple red, truffle, and persimmon :)

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

KaylaMarriedBrett Posts : 146 Registered: 3/12/08
Posted: May 14, 2010 11:21 AM Go to message in response to: feministbride

I had a fall wedding and my colors were chocolate and pink. I kept it real simple because I knew...flowers weren't going to last for ever.
Best of luck and congrats.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9ce00b3127ccef83e387997dd00000030O02BZtXLVo3ZA9vPgg/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

When is my wedding

Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

http://brettandkayla.ourweddingday.com

IDzine01 Posts : 26 Registered: 2/27/09
Posted: May 14, 2010 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: KaylaMarriedBrett

Maybe it's because I'm a deigner by profession, but I have a hard time picking just one accent color to focus on so I went with a pallette. Taking a theme from nature is always safe (Nature never clashes) so I selected the peacock as my color theme. I have lots of rich royal blues, greens and bronze metallics.

http://www.bridalsoup.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/parkerjordan005.jpg
“Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them.” -Sex and the City

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: May 15, 2010 12:54 AM Go to message in response to: feministbride

we went with a fall palette.

We selected paint chips in approximately the above colors, and used them as a guide throughout. The colors were not exact shades...but rather color coordinates. We used a touch of the sage, the squash and the brick colors (we even lucked out...when we ordered the linen look paper tablecloths...the design was a sage that just meshed beautifully)

and I put my gals in black... I didn't want to pick a dress in some color they could never wear again.

Misty

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 12:13 AM Go to message in response to: feministbride

I never saw the point to picking colors for a wedding. Yes, I wanted each venue to look put-together, not thrown together. However, that did not mean I needed bridesmaids in dresses the same color as the table linens.

We started with ivory, because my wife and I both wore ivory dresses. I used ivory charmeuse in our chuppah (Jewish wedding canopy), ivory pew bows, and ivory linens at the reception. We had ivory kippot (yarmulkes) at the ceremony.

Then I wanted an accent color, and we decided on gold. There were gold satin chair sashes incorporated into the chuppah, tied around each seat in the front row at our synagogue, and tied around each seat at our reception. We also had gold candle holders for our centerpieces.

My daughter was our maid of honor. She had a burgundy dress she had worn as maid of honor in a friend's wedding. Since she was the only female attendant, it seemed silly to make her buy a whole new dress. So we told her she could wear the burgundy dress, and we sprinked burgundy in the signs for the program basket, kippah basket, and clip basket.

My son was our dude of honor. He owns one suit, in navy, and told us he could wear it with the blue tie or the red tie. We didn't think red would go with burgundy, so blue it was.

Our bouquets and bout looked sort of cream colored in the pictures we chose them from. On the day, they were more pink. We weren't really bothered--pink was fine with the other colors we had.

However, we held the luncheon after the ceremony in the private dining room of a nearby Legal Sea Foods. I figured the Legal Sea Foods decorates in a classy manner 365 days a year, so why would I need to instruct them for how to do it for our luncheon? I just left them to do whatever they were going to do.

At the reception, three days later and in a different city, neither of my children was present. We couldn't see the point in trying to match what they had worn with decor they wouldn't even see. So burgundy and navy were out the window. Instead, we added pink and brown--pink and amber paper lanterns; pink uplighting on the walls; and brown backgrounds for our menus, reserved signs, food signs, and other signs.

I've been told by the traditionalists that ivory is not considered a "color." So, were our colors pink, burgundy, navy, and gold? Or perhaps pink, brown, and gold? Well, not really. Because the one consistent theme throughout our wedding and reception was the artwork from our ketubah (Jewish wedding contract), which was a riot of bright primary colors. (See picture, below.) We used its design in our invitations, programs, photo sharing cards, thank you cards, and even the hand-out explaining our traditional Welsh love spoon (used as our cake topper). And it was on prominent display both at the ceremony and at the reception.

You know the rule about not wearing white to a wedding? One of our guests apparently didn't, and wore a white top with a white skirt. We're pretty sure that no one confused him with either of the brides, though.

Ultimately, I don't know what our colors were. And I don't care. We are married, after nine years together. And we did it surrounded by people who cared about us.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 12:47 AM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

I never saw the point to picking colors for a wedding. Yes, I wanted
each venue to look put-together, not thrown together. However, that did
not mean I needed bridesmaids in dresses the same color as the table
linens.

I know you were making a point, but are there really people who have their BM dresses match their table linens? LOL

But seriously. I knew where I wanted my BMs dresses to come from. I knew they didn't need to be in the same dresses (while I wanted the same color). I looked at the colors and narrowed them down to 2 - and let my DH pick! Yay he did something! LOL

And then our flowers were BRIGHT HUGE summer colors with silver ribbons. We had silver on our white invites. So I guess our colors were a slate/colonial blue and silver. I can't even remember what the table linens were - wait... checked my pics and they were WHITE. I couldn't even remember.

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Jun 14, 2010 2:06 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

@PharmToxGirl, the scary thing is that yes, I've seen brides who worried about the dresses matching the linens. Or worse yet, about the dresses matching the carpet. I still cringe when remembering the post from the woman who wanted to find a way to cover up all the carpet in the magnificent church in which she was getting married, because it didn't go with her colors.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

Moxiebaby Posts : 24 Registered: 6/18/09
Posted: Jun 16, 2010 12:03 PM Go to message in response to: feministbride

Our wedding is somewhat unusual. I did not put any thought into colors but pleasantly came to find that the colors picked themselves as planning progressed. We are having a July wedding. The colors are silver and gold.

abbowie8629 Posts : 4 Registered: 11/29/09
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: feministbride

My favorite color is red, but I didn't want it too red. I did the color wheel brides.com had and loved the combo of wine and silver. I ended up going with Apple (according to David's Bridal) and a dark silver grey.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine