Money Matters

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

bkurtz Posts : 11 Registered: 5/27/10
Money Matters
Posted: Jun 14, 2010 6:41 PM

My boyfriend and I don't plan on getting engaged until we have a good chunk of change saved up. We will be paying for most of the wedding, with some help from his family and very minimal help from mine. I just wanted to get some opinions on how much to save up for a wedding. We will have about 200 guests and aren't going for anything fancy, also I will be doing a lot of diy. Also wanted some opinions on the best ways to save money on a wedding, any budget beating tips are welcome! We do already have some budget figures in our heads, I just wanted to get some outsider opinions and advice.

Thanks in advance

SPL Posts : 7 Registered: 6/13/10
Re: Money Matters
Posted: Jun 14, 2010 7:27 PM Go to message in response to: bkurtz

I dont know how much is set for your wedding already, but I definitely would suggest doing a weekday instead of a Saturday. I am doing a Monday so our guests can spend the weekend with us and be able to return home Tuesday. A lot of venders will give discounts for less popular days.

Doing a dessert or h'or deurve only party will certainly cut down on food costs while keeping people from going hungry.

Also, I do not know how set you are on having 200 guests, but that sure is a lot! The biggest way to save would be to cut down your guest list. (Not saying you HAVE to though!) My rule of thumb for our wedding is we are not adding someone we have not spoken to in the past 6 months. I really would love to invite all of my old friends from high school, but we have lived in different states for years, and I just can not afford to have that many people.

bkurtz Posts : 11 Registered: 5/27/10
Posted: Jun 14, 2010 7:38 PM Go to message in response to: SPL

I know 200 is a lot. We really have no choice though, between the two of us we have 5 large families to invite. I would really perfer not to invite my stepmom's family but I don't think I really have a choice (but thats a whole other issue lol). I like the idea of not doing a large meal for that many people. We might do a light lunch buffet to cut costs.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Jun 14, 2010 8:03 PM Go to message in response to: SPL

Fairy, thanks for the confirmation. :)

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Jun 14, 2010 8:05 PM Go to message in response to: SPL

"I dont know how much is set for your wedding already, but I definitely
would suggest doing a weekday instead of a Saturday. I am doing a Monday
so our guests can spend the weekend with us and be able to return home
Tuesday. A lot of venders will give discounts for less popular days.

Doing a dessert or h'or deurve only party will certainly cut down on
food costs while keeping people from going hungry.

Also, I do not know how set you are on having 200 guests, but that sure
is a lot! The biggest way to save would be to cut down your guest list.
(Not saying you HAVE to though!) My rule of thumb for our wedding is we
are not adding someone we have not spoken to in the past 6 months. I
really would love to invite all of my old friends from high school, but
we have lived in different states for years, and I just can not afford
to have that many people."

For posterity.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

SPL Posts : 7 Registered: 6/13/10
Posted: Jun 14, 2010 9:00 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

"Fairy, thanks for the confirmation. :)"

Seriously, this is getting old go look up SPLzero on a google search. That is my username on almost all other forums im on. Also these type of comments are supposed to be handled in PM's since its has NOTHING to do with the topic.

bkurtz

People also enjoy brunch!

Edited by: SPL on Jun 14, 2010 9:11 PM

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 14, 2010 9:38 PM Go to message in response to: bkurtz

Dear BK,

If you spend $10/person, 200 guests is $2,000 just for reception costs.

If you spend $50/person, 200 guests is $10,000.

Now, call a few reception venues and see what you can get for $10/person or $50/person. That should give you an idea of what kind of money you are talking about. Remember, that many places quote the "base" price. Tax and tips will be required on top of the quoted price.

When you call, ask to speak to the "sales and catering" manager.

Add on to that the "fixed" costs: dress, officiant, ceremony costs, flowers, attendant gifts, etc.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 15, 2010 8:52 AM Go to message in response to: bkurtz

No idea what's going on with some of the other posts. I must have missed something on another thread and it has spilled into this one.

Anyway, the cost of your wedding will really depend on the average cost of catering in your area. The largest expense for your wedding will be food and drink, so the bulk of your costs will be dependent both on the number of guests you invite and the average cost of things in your area. I would do a preliminary seach on some caterers or all-inclusive venues in your area and see what the average cost per person seems to be for weddings. Multiply that by your number of guests and you'll have a good starting point. Then do a similar search for other stuff that you'll need for the wedding: photographer, flowers, venue rental if it's not included in a package deal or if you're having the ceremony somewhere else, music (for both ceremony and reception), clothing, transportation, other decorations, rings, honeymoon. You can tweak things if necessary later (do a forum search on budget weddings to find some good money-saving tips. Another good resource is the book Bridal Bargains - I can't remember the author, but it's the same people that did the Baby Bargains book) but for now, this should give you a good idea of what you'll be looking at for a budget if you do NOT tweak stuff. And honestly, the easiest way to lower your wedding expenses is to cut the guest list. A lot of couples go into wedding planning saying 'We absolutely need all 200 people there' and later change their minds. It's tough to cut people, but you need to be realistic and examine your priorities. Sure, you can work some budgeting miracles by doing DIY projects, but the reality of the situation is that if catering costs $100 a head in your area, you're looking at 20K just to feed 200 guests and no amount of cutting corners elsewhere is going to get that down to 10K or 5K.

Sorry, but the cost of everything varies significantly by geographic area, so there's no simple answer. Either talk to friends who got married in your area and had similar weddings, or do some research.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine