Stay at Home Wife Stigma?

Online Users: 1,249 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 97

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Stay at Home Wife Stigma?
Posted: Apr 6, 2010 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

401K is a retirement fund. You put money into it and it's invested. Most jobs have a mtaching policy where if you put 6% in they match it OR maybe match if at 50% (You put in $20 they put in $20 or $10, etc).

I also have an IRA at a bank which works in a similar way - so yes that is an option. But then she would have to get the money from her husband to put in it.

I have a 401K from my old job but I don't have a 401K at my new job (it's a state job and they have a different thing). So I'm going to transfer the 401K that I have into an IRA at my bank. Since I'm not cashing it out I won't pay any penalties.

I can't imagine wanting to stay home all the time. Seriously. I'm not knocking it for anyone who wants to but I DESPISE housework and I go crazy staying at home on the weekends. I think I'd shoot myself if I had to stay home all the time.

But that's just me - and it's a good thing to know about yourself.

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 11:57 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Ah, so the 401(k) sounds similar(ish) to our RRSPs (Registered Retirement Savings Plan). Some employers have pension plans as well. There is also the Canadian Pension Plan which is automatically deducted from your paycheck while you work (so obviously Stay at home Wives wouldn't be contributing to this...which is why I was wondering which type of savings plan a 401(k) is!)

I have another question regarding the USA and this time it pertains to work. Generally speaking, are university grads paid well? Here, it is sometimes ridiculous. Sure, a nurse will get paid okay, a new teacher is paid alright, but some grads end up with jobs in their fields that only pay 12$/hour. I just don't know how society survives. It seems that life is getting more and more expensive and jobs are paying less and less (in comparison). Is it just Canada?
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

pitdigger Posts : 37 Registered: 10/31/09
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 8:30 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I can't speak for a lot of sectors, but my field (archaeology) is relatively low paying to begin with. Just out of undergrad, if you get hired, at the high end, $12-$15/hour depending on the project, the company, what have you. This may also not be a permanent job, it may be itinerant work (shovelbumming). With an MA or PhD you might be more able to be salaried right away, but I don't think you'll make a significant more than before, you just get benefits.

My dad hires engineers right out of undergrad and they make way more than I would.

I think it really depends on the field.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 8:51 AM Go to message in response to: pitdigger

I have a Masters Degree and I make $18 an hour. I could make more in a different geographic area and I'd also probably pay more for cost of living.

I could also do something else in my area, but I would be on the road more, not home, and not happy with what I'm doing. So it's trade off. But I want to start a family, working an 8 hour for less money is a trade off I'm willing to make.

Sunnijoy Posts : 32 Registered: 3/19/10
Posted: Jun 10, 2010 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: Sunnijoy

Hi all! Just wanted to update the thread.

I have been at home for a little over two months now and I am enjoying myself.

I do want to say that I understand how someone could feel bored at home, especially if they did not have close friends or family around. I also have missed working at times, and I did not expect that at all. But it took awhile for me to hit my stride in the work world too, so I think these growing pains are to be expected. And I am more relaxed and more content overall than I have been in a long time. That gives me confidence that I made the best decision for myself at this present time.

I did retain my one seasonal job, which has me working consistently but not constantly. I like the social aspect of working and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment that comes from earning a paycheck.
It feels like I have struck the right balance by working a light schedule, as working a little keeps me from being absolutely consumed by either my work or my home life.

I just finished being a foster parent for a young cat who gave birth to her first litter. It was a very challenging and a greatly rewarding experience. I learned a lot and am happy to report that the mother cat and her kittens were adopted together and have a great permanent home.

My husband was promoted again and now is the fleet manager for the company which employs him. Ealier this week, we were invited to dinner with the company owner and the two vice presidents of the company and their spouses. It was nerve racking preparing for the evening, as I was eager to make a good impression. Thankfully, all the executives were extremely gracious and personable and I felt as though I were among good friends. At the end of the evening, my husband was presented with his own company car- a 2010 model no less. Very exciting.

My husband and I are hoping to have a baby within the next two years and are beginning to think about our first house. We want to plan ahead so we are ready when are current lease is up.

Our one year anniversary is the August. My husband and I are planning to take a special trip to celebrate it, something we intend to make an annual tradition.

My husband and I are pretty opposite in personality but we both characterize our first year of marriage the same way- as a time of major adjustment. Thankfully, both my husband and I have embraced each other inspite of our differences and I feel we have both learned from one another's strengths and have grown a lot personally and corporately as a result.

In the past few weeks, I have had some very good conversations with my mother-in-law. I feel as though we are finally on the way to really understanding and appreciating each other.

In short, I finally feel confident that I am on the right track and that I will finally be able to make some real progress in my own personal development, in my marriage and family relationships, and in my life as a whole.

I am happy.

"Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever." ~Westminister Catechism

I try to spread my message to the world the best way that I can give it
We can make it, always be optimistic
If you don’t listen, gotta live my life the best way that I can live it
With the faith of a mustard seed, you can move mountains
And only the heavenly father can ease the hurt
Just let it go and keep prayin’ on your knees in church (Let’s go)
And be hopeful, hopeful, and He’ll make a way
I know it ain’t easy but - that’s okay
Cause we hopeful -"Hope" by Twista and Faith Evans

ElleNChuck Posts : 50 Registered: 6/10/10
Posted: Jun 12, 2010 12:08 AM Go to message in response to: Sunnijoy

FH and I have a deal that after the wedding I can choose whether or not I want to continue working. We're fortunate that we don't really need two incomes and he has the ability to work from home (or anywhere there is internet access) so we would be able to travel more if we didn't have to wait for my vacations to roll around. I must admit, it is VERY tempting. I would have more time to focus on volunteer work I feel very passionate about, and my golf game would certainly improve! I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: Sunnijoy

Pronovias Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-pronovias-c-420_473.html

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 7:38 PM Go to message in response to: Sunnijoy

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine